Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your favourite aircraft?  (Read 224684 times)

markymar93

Re: What's your favorite aircraft?
« Reply #300 on: October 08, 2011, 03:15:15 pm »

cool. i ended up selling quite a lot of mine and got down to about 10 planes. however, i do not manage to get out flying much due to work.  i do enjoy flying my taube at the mo and my grapuner leki

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #301 on: May 27, 2012, 09:27:41 am »

That is a good question, I think that it should be divided in to certain categories, ie: Fighter's, intercepeor's, Light bombers, heavy bombers, ground attack, civilian cargo, civialin passenger etc. But for me, it would have to be the sinister focke wulf 190d.
Cheers
phil

Marcus.t

• Shipmate
« Reply #302 on: June 01, 2012, 08:36:15 pm »

Personally I quite like the shorts Tucson  :}
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Marcus.t

• Shipmate
« Reply #303 on: June 01, 2012, 08:41:46 pm »

Tucano even!'
I reject your reality and substitute my own

aeronut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #304 on: June 05, 2012, 02:51:38 pm »

This is my latest project - maiden flight was three weeks ago. 1/3 scale, electric power - just wonderful!  :-))

Gordon

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #305 on: June 05, 2012, 03:39:36 pm »

Real plane I wished that I had seen: SR71

Real plane that I was most pleased that I had seen: Raf Aerobatic team with Lightnings in the early 60's - as a kid it was exciting & frightening at the same time (they were so loud & came from all directions much much lower than they would now.

Current real flying plane that impresses me most that I have seen: F-22 - the high level display is unbelievable. Vulcan for sheer charisma - it can practically bring a tear to my eye.

Favourite plane that I have flown - even if for only a few minutes - 2 seat Pitts Special - & no I wasn't sick.

Favourite plane that I have flown alone: Slingsby T21 Segberg - at 16 when you came off the top of the tow & you were all alone for the first time & it suddenly went quiet - it was a moment that I have never forgotten - fantastic.

Favourite all time model - WOT 4 Mk 1 with piped Irvine 61. After a couple of trainers (3 channel fibreglass thing (Hammand & Morgan?) then Yamamoto 4 channel) the power & the performance were a revelation. Funny but contrary to what everyone told me each time my model got more aerobatic I fould it easier to fly. After the WOT4 I could find more precise aerobatic models but nothing that was actually overall better.

Favorite Current models Parkzone Night Vapor in the garden just as it is going dark & I am flying with the bats. Magic Moments.

PS Love the VC10 photos. That is how I remember flying displays but I thought that I was kidding myself.

splasher 1

• Shipmate
« Reply #306 on: June 25, 2012, 10:59:02 pm »

DC3. Dakota did supply drops in Malaya for the patrols hunting commies,(shake,rattle and roll) but i would'nt have missed it for the world had a wonderfull time and got 2 medals to hang on the wall.
           favourite combat aircraft is the Vampire FB.9 from my boyhood days in Hong Kong. splasher 1

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #307 on: July 31, 2012, 12:46:31 am »

I also love the Dakota DC3.
I love her swept back wings at the leading edge, though from an aerodynamic standpoint they don't make much sense for a subsonic plane.
I think her designers incorporated the sweep back for pure aesthetical reasons.

I wonder why so few fell for civil aircraft.

One of the most beautiful and sophisticated air liners, marking the heyday of piston engine propelled aircraft, was of course the Super Connie

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #308 on: July 31, 2012, 01:37:16 am »

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #309 on: July 31, 2012, 11:54:47 am »

Hi Derek,

that's an awesome video.
Have you flown (with) that Connie?

Also interesting to watch in the video is that wagon-wheel effect which makes the props look as if they spin to a halt and then suddenly change their direction of rotation, all in flight. %%
But I think this stroboscopic effect is only visible when filmed with a camera and watched afterwards.

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #310 on: July 31, 2012, 12:26:42 pm »

AHHH VC10 - very gracefull...
Yes, I also loved to watch the VC10 in the 1970s as a child and always was excited when I could spot one, on our arrival at Heathrow with my parents for our regular UK holidays, while taxiing over the vast field to our final position,
though I think there weren't that many built of them.

But here in Berlin, especially when visiting the Schönefeld Airport of the eastern part of our city (which often felt to be more complicated and involved than flying to Heathrow) you were far more likely to spot an Interflug IL-62,
which some argue was the Russian copy of the VC-10, but which I always felt to be of equal beauty.

And I think these planes were far more sturdy than their British or American counterparts, built for the Siberian Taiga, and for touch down and take off on/from snow covered ground at biting frost.
Some of these qualities of Russian aircraft design can be seen in this stunning video where an IL-62 finally was grounded on a farming field to be transferred for permanent display in a museum.

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #311 on: July 31, 2012, 01:48:46 pm »

Has to be the Lancaster...forerunner of the mighty Vulcan which I only worked on 1971 - 1973 at RAF Scampton  Lincolnshire, a part of my history I'll never forget !

Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #312 on: August 12, 2012, 12:49:26 pm »

Can't argue with the de Havilland Hornet, but I reckon this runs it close...
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #313 on: August 12, 2012, 02:41:55 pm »

What about the Welkins older sister?  The Westland Whirlwind Mk 1 fighter bomber the first RAF twin engined fighter and the first RAF aircraft armed with 20mm cannons!

Mind you I like most British aircraft with a few exceptions mainly thing like the Baffin, Skua and Roc!

Sidney Camm once said if it looks right it will fly right, the above in my opinion never looked right at all!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

armc40

• Fall guy, it would appear !
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #314 on: August 12, 2012, 03:05:55 pm »

Any past members of the RAFSPA remember this ol' crate ?    Weston-on-the -Green   1972

Making a mistake is not a sign of weakness. Failure to admit to having made a mistake is though !

Power corrupts whilst absolute power corrupts absolutely. Imaginary power is something else entirely !

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #315 on: August 12, 2012, 04:17:23 pm »

Fast Dragon has been called up before. Did a circuit and bump in 53.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #316 on: February 06, 2013, 10:17:14 am »

I've been looking at a few, quite a few, Air crash investigations and 'cockpit view' take off & landings on Utube lately, so many, I'm gonna put my hand up if I'm on an aeroplane and a stewardess comes forward and asks, "can anyone fly an aeroplane?"!!!!

Anyway, I suppose if you've been on more than 3 flights in the last 20 years, 1 of them will probably have been on the ubiquitous Boeing 737...... look on Wikipedea, the No.s a most impressive!

There are, on average, 1,250 Boeing 737s airborne at any given time, with two departing or landing somewhere every five seconds.

The 737 series is the best-selling jet airliner in the history of aviation. The 737 has been continuously manufactured by Boeing since 1967 with 7,425 aircraft delivered and 3,074 orders yet to be fulfilled as of December 2012. 737 assembly is centered at the Boeing Renton Factory in Renton, Washington. Many 737s serve markets previously filled by 707, 727, 757, DC-9, and MD-80/MD-90 airliners, and the aircraft currently competes primarily with the Airbus A320 family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #317 on: February 06, 2013, 10:35:29 am »

737's are around and not just airborne, sometimes they take the train!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #318 on: February 06, 2013, 11:00:02 am »

My all time favourite is the DH Dragon Rapide

I flew on several of these when they were the British European Airways standard for internal flights, in the days when London Airport was Croydon.  Jersey twice, Penzance, and Scily Isles.  Lovely aircraft, big windows and flew at a lower height where the view was incredible.  Sadly modern jetliners are just cramped buses.

Three months ago I fulfilled a Bucket List Wish by taking a one hour ten minute flight over London in one, from Duxfield.  Awesome !
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #319 on: February 06, 2013, 11:07:58 am »

I've been looking a few, quite a few, Air crash investigations and 'cockpit view' take off & landings on Utube lately, so many, I'm gonna put my hand up if I'm on an aeroplane and a stewardess comes forward and asks, "can anyone fly an aeroplane?"!!!!

Huh, I hope I will never sit in the same aeroplane with you.

Quote from: Martin

Anyway, I suppose if you've been on more than 3 flights in the last 20 years, 1 of them will probably have been on the ubiquitous Boeing 737...... look on Wikipedea, the No.s a most impressive!

Wasn't Boeing reusing the same bow/cockpit section for the 737 from it's ancestors 707 and 727?
I guess the cross section of the mid fuselage must have been the same in all those aircrafts.
At least the bow looks in all three models identical to me.

As for the 737 I preferred their early models which had what I would describe as a curvy faired in fin/rudder, not the one with the knuckle in the dorsal fin of later models.

Especially with the 737 I find the "flattened" nacelles of the modern turbofan jet engines which have a much higher pass ratio than their original jet engines quite funny.
They look somewhat dented as if the pilot forgot to veer the undercarriage on his first touch down with the newly supplied nacelles.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #320 on: February 06, 2013, 01:52:01 pm »

Huh, I hope I will never sit in the same aeroplane with you.

Me too!!  {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #321 on: February 06, 2013, 02:06:42 pm »

I should have been more precise and finish my statement with, "where you volunteer as a pilot".

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #322 on: February 06, 2013, 02:21:34 pm »

Just letting me near technical equipment is asking for trouble!   O0

inertia

« Reply #323 on: February 06, 2013, 02:22:22 pm »

It was July 1970 and this callow youth had just started an undergraduate apprenticeship with BAC at Filton.  Concorde 002 had flown off to Fairford the previous year and all efforts now were being put into making its successors and flogging them to the Americans.
Towards the end of one afternoon shift began a gentle movement of everyone out of the works and down to the airfield at Filton - no-one seems to have said anything but people were just heading that way. Soon the whole of the works and staff were lined up near the Brabazon Hall, wondering what the heck was going on. Fire drill? Nah - assembly points are all up the hill. Royal Visit? To see exactly what? Suddenly someone said "There it is!" and we all looked west, down the runway, to see what looked like a flying pencil about five miles away, heading south behind the hill. "Nah - it can't be". Two minutes later and there's a yell "Look over Patchway!!". A huge, white, elongated moth-shape had  appeared over the end of the runway - flaps, "snoot" and gear down and nose well high. It was 002, bunking off high-speed testing down the Irish Sea for a fly-past. It flew the length of the runway (and it's a long runway). I tell you, there was not a soul who wasn't openly in tears. To top it all, Trubshaw then did a fast turn out over the Bristol Channel and came back for a reverse pass. This time it was clean; everything up, about 350 knots and two hundred feet straight down the runway, to culminate in a full reheat 45 degree climb-out at the end. Filton shook. Patchway shook. We watched with our ears and our hearts bursting.  (I'm in tears remembering this).
What's my favourite aeroplane? Have a guess!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #324 on: February 06, 2013, 02:28:56 pm »

"350 knots" ..... Tiger Moth?!?

Bet no one had a camera!   >:-o

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.