Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your favourite aircraft?  (Read 226023 times)

Roger in France

Re: What's your favorite aircraft?
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2008, 06:59:13 am »

A MOSQUITO TO FLY AGAIN:

I see in our local newspaper that some enthusiasts are rebuilding a Mosquito and hope to have it flying next year. The rebuild is taking place in Lucon, La Vendee, France. They claim it will be the only flight worthy Mossie in existence.

Roger in France.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2008, 11:40:12 am »

Hi all have been pointed to Live maps and find that the 'birds eye view' gives an up to date picture, but this is different to the alternative map.  But there you go not everything is perfect!
regards Roy

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2008, 02:12:35 pm »

One of the Vulcans failed during subsequent flights and had to land in South America (Brazil?).

I saw the Vulcan at East Fortune last weekend, and that plane had a Brazilian flag on it (next to two mission patches over the Falklands). Me and my boys couldn't work out if it had bombed the wrong country  :D - so I suppose it was that one.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2008, 04:31:10 pm »

Last week I went with my brother - on holiday from Canada, to the De Haviland museum at Salisbury Hall (M25 -J22)
Unfortunately it was closed, but they opened it up just for us, and gave us a one to one guided tour.
Three Mosquito's, the original prototype, a fully built but not airworthy one, and yet another under a rebuild, plus a host of other De Haviland aircraft, Vixen, Venom, Vampire, plus a lot of other specials - Comet fuselage with the fatal square windows
Interesting, the mossie wing is built in one piece, then slid through a slot in the fuselage, and then leading and trailing edges fitted.
Also the Venom and Vampire cockpits are clad in a ply/balsa/ply skin - on a jet fighter!!
Really worth a visit, a small museum but very friendly, and you get amongst the aircraft. DO CHECK THE OPENING TIMES!

Colin
Colin

djrobbo

« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2008, 10:03:47 pm »

Hi guys.........i think the two most elegant aircraft i can think of are the late mark spitfires with the bubble canopy and the north american p51 D mustang..didn't really work too well until they stuck a merlin in it..........whats better than the noise a merlin makes on full song O0...answer .....more than one merlin  ;D

At the southend airshow a few years back ...one of the featured aircraft was a mossie...........mega quick and two merlins O0

regards.bob.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2008, 07:48:49 am »

Bob, there's nothing which brings my arms out in goose pimples more than a Merlin on full boost.. it's absolute music to the ears. Many years ago, I stood in the middle of Biggin Hill airfield whilst Ray Hannah gave us a private treat of his flying skills in his Spit' He flew at full bore across the field at what we reckoned to be about 50 feet, having come out of a high speed dive and right over our heads, pulling up into a climbing left hand bank... absolutely blood curdling!! I have never seen a Spitfire flown with such skill and panache' as that man did on that day and the memory will live with me forever.
As a fellow petrol head, I think you will know where I'm coming from.
Chris

OMK

« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2008, 04:48:29 am »

I don't know who Ray Hannah is, but I would have loved to been in your shoes that day - if only to hear that wondrous tune of the Merlin passing overhead... intermingled with with that doppler effect that only Merlin's can do.
It's ironic that I only discovered just recently we have an ex Spitfire pilot right here in the village. I've known the chap for years, but only to acknowledge a fleeting 'good morning/good evening'. I didn't even know his name. Strange thing is, there is a photo of a RAF pilot hanging on the wall in one of the pubs. It's been hanging there for more years than I care to count, but nobody could tell me much about it... until last weekend when it turned out that the chap in the photograph is indeed that same Spitfire pilot.
Needless to say, it certainly gave me a buzz just to have a good old chat with him all night. A true gent.

<edit>
A couple more of my fave's........

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2008, 11:50:26 am »

hi
well for the best plane built ever still unsurpassed and over 40 years old yes the SR 71 BLACK BIRD. Dont know what happened t enginers in the 60s they built 3 great icons. Concord ,Black Bird and the QE2.

for fantasy planes cant be MIG 31 FIRE FOX.

john

http://thinkinrussian.org/about.cfm

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2008, 11:15:51 pm »

PMK, Ray Hannah was  leader of the Red Arrows many many years ago. In later life he managed the historic fighter collection at Duxford but unfortunately passed away a few years ago. His son Mark, who was an accomplished historic aircraft fighter pilot, also died as he attempted to land whilst flying a BF109. He had given an inerview shortly before the tragic accident which happened in France and in a remark he made, he claimed that the aircraft was a bit of a "xxxxx" as you came in as you had to get it just right. All very sad and a tragic loss to the aviation community all round.
Love the picture of the kid clinging to the windscreen, still laughing me head orf!!
Chris   

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2008, 11:34:23 pm »

as for concord, its a shame that the Tu144 "charger" aka Concordski didnt do as well.  with its close grouped engines as opposed to Concord's spaced pair, Tu144 was nicer looking
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Tom_DK

« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2008, 10:49:19 am »

From outside, yes, the Tubolew is looking nicer, but inside its look kinda old compared with the concorde.
Have seen them both in a museum in Sinsheim in Germany

nhp651

« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2008, 09:00:22 pm »

speeking of favorite aircraft, how about thisa beauty that flew over my house about half a dozen times this morning........she sounded ab....so...lut...el....ee wonderful ;D O0

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2008, 05:06:47 pm »

Hell of a way to display aircraft, and still you can go onboard.

The Concord and the TU 144 look stunning like that

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2008, 05:18:56 pm »

...for fantasy planes cant be MIG 31 FIRE FOX...

what about the Aurora, seen here CG'd alongside an SR71.

mach 5+ S.C. RAM jets, methane cryogen fuel, from groom lake, to anywhere in the world in an hour or so

andyn

« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2008, 09:37:39 pm »

My absolute favorite aircraft is the Su-37

As for fantasy aircraft, I would like an English Tornado that actually works, an English Chinook that can fly over roads or rivers, an English Merlin that flies without being left in storage, and an English JSF to fly O0

We all have hopes....

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2008, 12:39:32 pm »

Enough of all these vacuum cleaners!...  :P

Time for a proper aircraft..  O0

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2008, 11:08:19 pm »

My absolute favorite aircraft is the Su-37

As for fantasy aircraft, I would like an English Tornado that actually works, an English Chinook that can fly over roads or rivers, an English Merlin that flies without being left in storage, and an English JSF to fly O0

We all have hopes....

like this?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2008, 11:22:20 pm »

Well here's a JSF. 'Course it's only a model.... (1:1 scale)

andyn

« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2008, 11:24:34 pm »

Thats as plastic as Ann Robinson's face.

As for the RAF Terminator, I would pay for that!!

Wonder what they'll do with the plastic models when they're done playing with them. At RIAT there were plastic Helis, a plastic ww2 italian fighter, more plastic JSF's than you could shake a stick at, a GlobalHawk, a UCAS (or whatever its called this week - last year it was called the JASDF).

Message to the planemakers, put down the giant Airfix boxes and make the b:@(£^£$!& PLANE!!!!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »

I'm told that one of the problems with the JSF is that once it's loaded up with ordnance it will be too heavy to get off the deck of the new carriers.  :(

andyn

« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2008, 11:42:38 pm »

I'm told that one of the problems with the JSF is that once it's loaded up with ordnance it will be too heavy to get off the deck of the mew carriers.  :(

Yup

And the even better bit is that like our Chinooks and Merlins, we're fitting our own software to them. Now as I said, the Chinooks cannot fly over water or roads, the system will crash, so all these brand spanking new helis are in storage (I'll have to ask my dad where but he's asleep), and the Merlins also don't work and so were left in storage for the French to use as spares. Thats why this countries' Melin display team is a static one, no really. http://www.teammerlin.airshows.co.uk/

I foresee that the JSF will be cr*p and BAe will be ordered to hurriedly come up with a new mark of Harrier, all on the quiet. It'll leak out though, and I will be on here, laughing at them  O0

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2008, 11:53:28 pm »

BAe will be ordered to hurriedly come up with a new mark of Harrier, all on the quiet.

I've heard that too....

andyn

« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2008, 12:22:10 am »

There I may be ugly as f*** but I know what I'm on about  O0

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2008, 06:39:28 pm »

perhaps we should build a big nuclear carrier and put the Rafale on it rather than the JSF

andyn

« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2008, 09:16:15 pm »

Brilliant idea!

As far as I know there's been no problems with them so far.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.