Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell Schnellboot S-65  (Read 15419 times)

Robert Davies

Revell Schnellboot S-65
« on: June 05, 2008, 06:32:00 pm »

I thought I'd give this mini-scale malarkey a go.

Take one Revell 1/72 S-Boat kit, some time, brass rod and wire, an esc, a 5" M4 propshaft, a 1" prop, paint 'n' sundries etc etc etc.....

Wander out between thunderstorms to the club's lake down the road.... and....

Do some shakedown running.

More on the build (much) later! :)

-Rob

ps Armament to finish, details to be picked out, shading, washes and dry-brushing to taste.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Revell Schnellboot S-65
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:38:19 pm »

Looking good Rob!    O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

penfold

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 06:53:51 pm »

any chance of some INTERNAL photos of running gear etc, thinking of making one myself

Robert Davies

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 06:55:32 pm »

any chance of some INTERNAL photos of running gear etc, thinking of making one myself

Probably tomorrow, or the weekend - I can feel a cracking migraine coming on :(

-Rob

regiment

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 07:55:40 pm »

how big is the boat  in ft and inches please to old for all this rubbish cent thanks regiment

Robert Davies

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 08:15:26 pm »

1' 7"

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 01:19:06 pm »

Where did you get it from? my local shop has no sign of it yet :(
badly raised and ill mannered.

Robert Davies

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 01:24:40 pm »

The Revell 1/72 S-Boat? It's been out for ages?!

Are you sure you're not waiting for the same one I, and many others are - the Italeri S-100 in 1:35, which if it's anywhere near as good as the ELCO PT boat will be fabulous. The grapevine suggests 'late Summer' for the Italeri.

-Rob

Robert Davies

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 02:50:23 pm »

A few more, outside and in...

In the pic above you can see more of the armament has been fitted - Still more to go! Fearsome beast this!

Here you can see how I've cut the deck to enable access, at the leading edge of the cut I've added a plasticard lip to waterproof the lead joint, you can also see where I sliced off a hatch midway for access and added combing to keep it in place.

Elec-ma-trickery runs on four 2900mah AA batteries. The motor is a slot car motor (a Fly EVO 2 if you're interested) nourished by an mTroniks 10 amp ESC. The receiver is a 2.4ghz Futaba R606FS, oh! and the rudder is shifted by a v small HiTec servo - the rudder arm is a piece of 80 thou plasticard with an RC plane's wheel boss superglued to the pivot.

Here we see the drive end - I've tried diddy little props in the past - water doesn't 'scale' - all I ended up with was froth and no speed - So bite me! if you don't like it! :) It's an M4 Propshaft with a one inch (25mm) prop - The rudder's home made, a bit of brass tube with a bit of brass rod with a bit of brass plate soldered to it with common or garden multicore solder.

There may even be more pics - or there may not.....

On the water it appears to move at a very 'scale' 40 knots, which suits me fine :)

-Rob

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 11:02:56 pm »

Thanks for sharing the photos of the "innards" I,ve just completed this model myself but I built it as a static model straight out of the box
I'm now thinking of getting another and installing R/C, is the rear deck screwed down or just a tight fit?
cheers Les

Robert Davies

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 11:05:33 pm »

Just a reasonably tight interference fit - It will easily support the weight of the boat if suspended from a part of the 'captive' deck.

-Rob

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 10:10:03 am »

The Revell 1/72 S-Boat? It's been out for ages?!

Are you sure you're not waiting for the same one I, and many others are - the Italeri S-100 in 1/35
yes i got my scales mixed up I'm no good at this speed reading ::)

Robert Davies

Well it's finished! (translation = As finished as it's ever going to get...)

A bit of a chop on today down at the lake (!)

After reports of a rogue E-boat in the area, a Lancaster returning from a sortie was diverted for a fly-by ;)

I was just lining up a few shots of the S-Boat when the BBMF Lanc flew in at 1500ft - I was lying flat on my stomach on the dock and was just able to pan out and round to 'grab' the Lanc between the trees.

The S-Boats where 'wet' boats - about to get much wetter!

It's quite clear here the design philosophy of the S-Boat, they are designed to cut through the sea, rather than plane over the surface. This makes for a steadier, but occasionally wetter platform.

There y'go folks

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 10:04:43 pm »

i didnt say it before but shes a beaut O0

Robert Davies

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 10:11:28 pm »

Cheers leaky!

It's appreciated :)

I studied numerous black and white photographs, and had to use best guess on some items/colours. The Revell colour charts where somewhat at odds with what my research suggested, so I followed my nose as it where and used 'artistic license'....

-Rob

Stavros

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 11:02:57 pm »

Cracking looking boat there Robert,excellent photos as well,

Stavros

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 12:16:51 am »

There are some really cracking pictures there Robert.  Getting such clear shots with a long lens and such a narrow depth of field takes a lot of practise and when you are panning at the same time!!!! but some of those, especially with the nose in the water have come out really well.

The innards look very neat as well and push it along at just about the right pace.  It would look good alongside a 1/72nd u-boat.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

tungi

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 12:02:24 pm »

Hi! I'm tungi from here ;) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865474

Thank you for linking your project, it looks very cool, and gave me some ideas. I'm thinking about the slot motor, it will be faster than a toy one? mmm...

Robert Davies

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 01:29:07 pm »

Hi! I'm tungi from here ;) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865474

Thank you for linking your project, it looks very cool, and gave me some ideas. I'm thinking about the slot motor, it will be faster than a toy one? mmm...

Hi tungi!

Thanks for dropping by!

It was your project that made me set to and finish mine :)

Regarding the motor, it's hard to tell  whether the speed would be quicker with your choices made in your design process

- the Mabuchi long can slotcar motor way turn your propshaft fast enough to melt the plastic prop tube.

I don't know the actual answer but my opinion is that you should be OK.

I think your main problem at the moment is getting hold of a decent propeller and attaching it firmly to the propshaft.

The biggest problem we both have with these boats is squeezing enough motor and battery power into the hull without it sitting too low in the water!

Best regards,

-Rob

ps Welcome to ModelBoatMayhem a truly international model boat website and forum! Let us know where in the world you are!

tungi

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 04:03:24 pm »

Thanks

I'm from Spain  O0

I decided to install the plastic prop(not from model) and try it when finished. I copied the plasticard lip  ;D

Some pics of how it's now. As you I'm not following the Revell's paint scheme at all, I prefer a good looking ship  {-)

Do you have any video so we can see the speed of that great ship?  ::)

Robert Davies

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 06:02:25 pm »

Thanks

I'm from Spain  O0

<snip, snip>

Do you have any video so we can see the speed of that great ship?  ::)

Hey Spain! Home of Slotracing :) I keep thinking of switching the motor to a Slot.it Boxer 2 - Then my sensible head takes over again :)

No, I do not have any video available - or any real chance of getting any...... I'll see what I can do though :)

I wonder if the weather's going to be good tomorrow?..... Hmm... My wife's digital camera does movies.... ;)

Regards,

-Rob

tungi

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 09:54:06 pm »

You are going to add weathering to it?

I want to do it, but I only know the Dry-brush thing. (I'm good at it) and I don't know how to do the rust like this: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2015.0

Any hint to how make that effect?

Robert Davies

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 02:56:27 am »

You are going to add weathering to it?

I want to do it, but I only know the Dry-brush thing. (I'm good at it) and I don't know how to do the rust like this: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2015.0

Any hint to how make that effect?

Weathering? No more than the dry-brush highlighting that I've already done. My skill are pretty limited, and I rather too little than too much - In the words of Mr Eastwood "A man's got to know his limitations".

If you want to know how the guy in the other thread did his weathering, why not try sending him a Personal Message via the forum?

Regards,

-Rob

Robert Davies

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 02:59:04 am »

Cracking looking boat there Robert,excellent photos as well,

Stavros

Cheers Stavros!

Not exactly a Llanberis boat - but it was summat alittle different :)

-Rob :D

Robert Davies

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 03:02:04 am »

There are some really cracking pictures there Robert.  Getting such clear shots with a long lens and such a narrow depth of field takes a lot of practise and when you are panning at the same time!!!! but some of those, especially with the nose in the water have come out really well.

The innards look very neat as well and push it along at just about the right pace.  It would look good alongside a 1/72nd u-boat.

Thanks for that BB!

I wonder who's got a 1/72 U-Boat handy? Hmmmm.... I wonder ;)

-Rob
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.