Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boats on Tugs!!  (Read 1849 times)

barryfoote

Boats on Tugs!!
« on: June 08, 2008, 09:02:37 pm »

Hi Guys,

I could do with a quick answer to this as I really want to get on with it in the morning if possible..

I have to make 2 boats for my Lady T....At a scale of 1 to 32 they are about 5 inches long. having given it much thought I decided to make a plug from balsa wood, (see picture) and then cover this with various layers of newspaper, covered in watered down pva wood glue, before planking the hull in a clinker fashion with thin wooden strips or masking tape, not decided which yet.

Apart from the fact that this idea may be stupid and fail I do not know how to finish the plug in such a way as to make it easily removable from the hull. I was going to finish it with sanding sealer before sanding it very smooth but after that, I have no idea...

Any help would be much appreciated...

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Boats on Tugs!!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 09:04:40 pm »

how about wrapping it in brown parcel tape? Epoxy doesn't stick to it, so I doubt pva will.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 10:02:49 pm »

Try covering it in clingfilm, you can pull it tight around the mould for a very smooth surface.  8)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 11:09:43 pm »

either as grib says, or simply use sanding sealer, on a few layers, rub down with wire wool and then wax up as you would on a grp mould.pva will stick to it but won't adhere to it, meaning that once you break the seal between the plug and the mould it will just pop out. make it simpler though and use thin card( thinner than a cereal packet) rather than thin timber,. by using this the "planks" will soak up the glue and bend to the shape of the hull on such a small boat.neil./

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 07:48:00 am »

Thanks guys...The best ideas are usually the simlist.....I think a combination of all three will do the job...

Barry (Grateful as ever)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.