Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions please - better run time.  (Read 2707 times)

sunnybob

Opinions please - better run time.
« on: June 08, 2008, 09:11:50 pm »

My cabin cruiser is now finished, (as far as I know) so I would be grateful if all you whizz kids  :D could give me opinions as to comaptibility, and possible run time of the whole thing.
remember this is my first go at outfitting a model boat, and a lot of help has come from here, but I did buy some stuff before I found this site, so I'm a little bit unsure of the finished result.

Heres the line up;
2 x JP energ pro nimh 6v 3300 batteries connected in parallel.
1 x ACTion distribution board
1 x Electronise esc FR30HX
2 x Electronise 545-12 motors connected in parallel

I've had it on the water for about 10 minutes, and it performs well to my untrained eye.
Have I wired it correctly? what kind of run time could I expect?
I shall be running this on a large lake soon, and dont want it to suddenly die on me 50 yards out.
Thanks very much.
Bob

Subject name changed - admin.

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: opinions please
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 08:42:54 am »

Sunnybob,  looks much too neat and tidy to work.  Nice job.  Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 08:52:55 am »

Sunnybob,

I don't know much about these pro nimh batteries, but do they give you plenty of sailing time? Would a 6volt lead acid not be much better. It would certainly give you plenty of time on the water and that hull looks big enough for one.

Barry

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:30:36 am »

I would need to know what current draw on the motors and prop size, but would guess well over an hours duration.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

sunnybob

Re: Opinions please - better run time.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 03:31:53 pm »

As I said, I bought the batteries and motors before discovering this site, and went on some advice that I had no way of checking.

Yes, there is a LOT of space in the hull, but I dont intend to buy another battery without using these up first, so I'm stuck with this set up, good or bad.

The props are three bladed 50mm diameter, but of 1950's vintage. The shafts give me some cause for concern. They rub a bit when turning, giving out a clacking sound like an old lollystick in a push bike wheel, so I know there is unwanted friction there, but again, I'm not going to make a major refit out of buying and fitting new shafts.

Alll I need is an hours sailing time. As and when the batteries run down, how much warning do you get? Will I see it slowing down, and still have time to get it back to shore?

Thanks,
Bob

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 01:45:36 pm »

Sunnybob,

In a word YES......... O0

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

sunnybob

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 04:42:14 pm »

keeping in the spirit of things,
TA!
 O0 :D

GaryM

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 11:36:53 pm »

Only a noobs two penneth, but to find the run time, could you try it in a bath?   
I don't know if it would give you the answer, but if you had fresh batteries and ran it in the bath till they died or ran it close to the shore line?

regards
Gary :)

banjo

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 03:09:12 am »

O0

You could run it in the bath, with a bit of TIDE (or whatever the soap powder stuff is these days) and wash your shreddies at the same time...

Good Idea GaryM

sunnybob

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 04:42:08 pm »

Trouble is I suffer from short attention span. :o
I took it to the local pond with the express intention of running it till it died.

10 minutes later i surrendered and got it out the water. I've really enjoyed building it, but I just cant see me playing with it all afternoon. :-\ :'(

Its just this family day that has me worried, as I expect a half dozen people to want to "have a go". So as long as they only have 5 minutes each, i should be OK! ::) ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.