Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Dave's WTC's  (Read 9000 times)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
Big Dave's WTC's
« on: August 01, 2006, 08:44:51 pm »

Has anyone been in contact with him, his web site is still running, but he's not answering emails.

Daryl

Re: Big Dave's WTC's??? Not respoding to emails, is he still in business?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 08:52:48 pm »

I hope he is I am just about to order one of his WTc's,any info I would be grateful to know.

Daryl

ambernblu

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 10:07:50 pm »

..... you and me and the three of us! I've emailed too but got no response either so far.

I picked up my Revell VIIc sub kit today and also got 4 rolls of asstd Tamiya Masking tapes (6mm to 20'ish mm) plus a bottle each of Maskol, Clearfix and Decalfix all for £55.00. If anyone wants the e-mail address, let me know - he has more stock of the Revell sub kits at £40 as well as the Corvettes I think. Cheers, Brian

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 12:05:27 am »

Hi Brian,

Looks like sod's law has struck once again! I will let you know if i hear anything from him, i don't fancy the German version, too expensive for what it is.

Regards:Wayne/voyager

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 12:17:22 am »

There's just been a big sub-regatta over in the states and Daves been there so give him a week to catch up on his Emails. He posts on subpirates.com and the subcommittee website. Both good resource sites for R/C sub's. He posts under the name BigDave.

I'm going to build my own WTC, found a supplier for clear Lexan tubes off Ebay in the UK and Lexan sheet for machining the endcaps. Basically what you get with one of his WTC's ( all machined for you with the option of buying the bladder and pump I think ) along with the CD with building instructions.

I'll do a build thread once I get started. I'm going to use rare-earth magnets for the drive coupling and the couplings for the rudders/planes so there will only be one entry hole in the WTC instead of 4 so much safer.

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

ambernblu

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 07:19:34 am »

... agreed, Wayne - think I decided the German version is a bit too expensive...! Cheers, Brian

ambernblu

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 07:23:19 am »

... Davie. Your proposed build thread sounds good - I will be very interested.

Of course, if you want to build a few more of your 'modified' WTC's, I'm sure you would find a ready market for them!  ;)

Cheers, Brian

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 12:49:38 pm »

Brian once I get it built and tested i'll post up a full "how-to" thread complete with diagrams / etc. Lexan is the American name for Polycarbonate and there are plenty of suppliers in the UK for tubes and flat 5mm sheet. The end-caps have to be at least 5mm to alow for machining down the inside so it slips into the main WTC tube and you have to cut 3 grooves into the plug to take seals to keep the water out. As far as I know you have to pressurise your WTC before you set off so there is enough air in it to fully inflate the bladder in the ballast system , now the guys across the pond use a type of bottled compressed airbrush propellant for this , BUT , there are only a couple of types that are ok the rest will destroy the O-ring seals sometimes within a minute or so. I intend using nothing but compressed air via a 12v portable car tyre pump that i'll be running off a battery , just to to work out the pressure i'll need once I settle on the size of the WTC.

I'll be using UK sourced components ONLY and I will put up a full list of the source companies and prices as I go. First sub will be the Trumpeter Seawolf then once i've got a few of my fishing boat models built and i've done all the research for the Astute class SSN i'll drawn up plans and scratch build HMS Astute.

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 08:14:58 pm »

By how small do you mean would there be enough air in a 1 1/2" WTC for a small sub or is that about the size that you need to put some pressure in the wtc??

I've got a lot to learn about the RCAB's system so got lots of research before I build this.

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 09:05:44 pm »

By how small do you mean would there be enough air in a 1 1/2" WTC for a small sub or is that about the size that you need to put some pressure in the wtc??

I've got a lot to learn about the RCAB's system so got lots of research before I build this.

Davie

A ballast bag to free volume of the WTC (WTC volume - volume taken up by eqipment) ratio of 1:4 should be sufficient for a pump out of a battery operated blood pressure machine to work with.

ambernblu

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 07:24:56 pm »

....just had a response to my email request from Dave Welch.... he advises that he will be building more WTC kits very soon and I have requested to be put on the waiting list as soon as one becomes available.... just have to watch this space i guess!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 07:34:48 pm »

ATTN: Brian,

Just had an email from Dave, and he's still in business!

Voyager.

ambernblu

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 07:44:59 pm »

Hiya... yep, its good news as per my note earlier, so hopefully, with Mankster's and Davie's help too (many thanks to you both) I will hopefully know a little bit more of how to go about radio controlled submersibles before too long then!  :D

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 08:47:38 pm »

i have just had an email from dave he has my WTC ready so must asumme that the previous notes on this thread were correct
                                                            Cheers
                                                                   Bob B
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

ambernblu

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 08:58:18 pm »

.... Excellent Bob.... will you let us know how you get on with it?

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 03:53:37 pm »

Only if it turns out OK ... ::) ::)

ambernblu

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 04:39:15 pm »

.... I'm certain it will, Bob.

I realise I've ordered a different kit to yours, (mine's for a Revell VIIc) but your general impressions and any feedback on how easily understandable the instructions were would be a help....!!

Cheers, Brian

Dave's certainly got around to supplying yours quick, its only a couple of weeks or so ago isn't it?? So I guess the rest of us shouldn't have to wait too long then for ours.  :)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 05:04:32 pm »

Can't be more than Three weeks I bought the kit at Papplewick and ordered the WTC within days the cost by the way is almost £100 including carriage and what it will cost with import dudy I don't know .He does take Paypal as a method of payment though which makes things quick and easy
                                                                                              Cheers
                                                                                                  Bob B

ambernblu

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 08:04:24 pm »

... Bob, I forgot to ask if he accepts Paypal - thats got to be a bonus.  ;) So thanks again, Brian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 04:15:14 pm »

WTC arrived this morning nice bit of workmanship came complete with impeller, pump and CD packed with pics and info

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Big Dave's WTC's
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 08:39:12 pm »

what was the import duty. and dont forget, phots
grumpy old XXX

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 08:23:38 am »

Didn't pay any import duty was marked as plastic parts , photos ? how much you prepared to pay ...........the wife soesn't like me posting them  :o ;D ::)
                                                                                                                Cheers
                                                                                                                    Bob B

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 09:24:52 am »

photos ? how much you prepared to pay ...........the wife soesn't like me posting them  :o ;D ::)
                                                                                                                Cheers
                                                                                                                    Bob B

Simple answer to that Bob, ask Martin to set up a new 'Readers' Wives' section on the forum. I'm sure that would open the floodgates to all kinds of interesting contributions......
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

ambernblu

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 10:02:56 am »

... No, No, please not that....! I want to enjoy my breakfast read...!  ;D

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006, 10:11:53 am »

Ambernblue just let the wife read this thread ...............she says your dead.............. ;D ;D ;D
                                          All the best in your new life
                                                                Bob b
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.