Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gog eye  (Read 4282 times)

dgp1957

• Full Mayhemer
Gog eye
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:48:33 am »

Gents, just bought a model of the MCS Marlene for tug towing, I have found that when I tow the line has a habit of getting pulled over the sides of the hull, would fitting a gog eye help, or is there another way as the original boat doesnt seem to have one on her?

David

farrow

Re: Gog eye
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 11:17:02 am »

When I used to work on tugs some years ago, when working hawser in the stern you always rigged a gog rope or dog rope both the same over your tow. It ethierwent from your capstan over the tow to your aft towing bollard or shackled directly to the tow wire. That way you controlled the angle of the tow over your stern to stop girting the tug. If using the towed vessels warps you would probaly rig a rope over the towing warp rather than shackle onto it.
David

lighterman

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:31:44 pm »

are we talking norman pins or gog eye? the gog will if drawn in too tight constrain the ability to steer where as norman pins  in the after rail will, providing you dont easy off the strain on the tow when it's on the beam, keep the tow rope over the stern. and i am guessing the thing you are towing is not all of a sudden going to have power or a  ships pilot thats a bit to fast on the telegraph and rings for full ahead and put strain on the rope with it over your beam and trys and roll you over.... i think you might be better off with pins.. i thing another name for them was malgogers..

farrow

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 04:32:59 pm »

The Sun 21 used norman pins to recover very long tow wires after they are broken off from the towing junk. In PAS the dogs are far as I remember where not fitted with norman pins and they where never used on the Girl class, so usually we put a dog rope onto the hawser to control it and help recover the tow wire. I believe the older bigger tugs used the same method. If the dog was restricting movement it was paid out, and heaved in as required, it was a precaution against girting, also I have seen commercial tugs used the same method. The R class tugs had Norman pins and they where used, when the tug was on passage with long tows astern, also they had temporary gog eyes on poles for long multiple tows astern such as when towing the remote controlled target vessels to keep the two towing hawsers apart on the tow deck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.