Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My new Plug  (Read 4361 times)

BlazingPenguin

My new Plug
« on: June 09, 2008, 05:09:35 pm »

This is where Im at with plug stage.....

stevext

Re: My new Plug
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 09:29:04 pm »

Hi
It's taken me approximatly 2-3 mounths to get my plug to the finish where i'm now taking my mould off it,worth it when you see the result though...

cheers

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 11:27:35 pm »

C'mon....wheres the pics then???? :D

stevext

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 09:38:15 pm »

Hi

I'll try and get some pics early next week!, try googling tiaki damen tug and you should find the pdf document.Mines going to be 24"x11" approx for twin asd drives or a couple of korts if you wished!.
cheers

stevext

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 08:36:03 pm »

Hi Again

Started work again on the port side of the mould and hopefully will have it trimmed before i go away again,i'm taking photo's as i go and hope to have a write up on how it was done if anyone's interested?.Next question will be the drive options as i favour the graupner units but it seems there have been a few problems with lost props etc - any advice welcomed.

cheers

stevext

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 09:48:01 pm »

hi All

The mould's finally finished and it's just the polishing of the surface left to do.I'll release it tomorrow and get a few pics posted once i work out how.Time to lay up the first two hulls and make a deck mould (preferably with the hatch coaming moulded in).I'm hoping to use a pair of graupner schottel drives but would welcome any advice on things to watch out for.
cheers

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 01:28:40 pm »

I'm hoping to use a pair of graupner schottel drives but would welcome any advice on things to watch out for.

Are they the bigger drives?.. the 2335 ones?

Pierre

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 06:23:08 pm »

It might just be the picture  but that plug looks huge to me. May I ask how long the tug is going to be?
Reason I'm asking is I built a hull to 1:30 scale intending to use the graupner voith units. Length came out at 1000mm and after ballasting it down and giving it a test run in my pool it was so sluggish that I threw the hull away and started again. I was using the Graupner 2358 units.
I rebuilt the hull to 1:42 scale (overall length approx 700mm) and it now functions pretty well!
The Voith units are not particularly efficient. I have a small pusher tug with the same motors (500Es) and  Graupner plastic 40mm props - this outpulls the voith without breaking a sweat. Of course for manoeuverability the voith is tops!
Initially the motors in the voith tugs were running a little hot but that turned out to be the belts set a little tight. As they run all the time I installed a servo operated car relay so I could switch them off if necessary mid pond. I also installed water cooling which proved unnecessary after the belt tension was adjusted.
Hope this helps
Cheers - Pierre

stevext

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 04:56:39 pm »

Hi
All

I promise to put some pictures up soon - The first hull is out of the mould and i'm now working on the deck moulding.This will allow the whole deck to be lifted off instead of just the superstructure as is the norm,i'm planning on having the deck fitting into a flange that runs around the deck with a rubber seal and m4 stainless countersunk machine screws to hold it down securley (heads painted to match the deck).
Once this is done  i'll start on the bridge moulding-should be fun with the angles on the modern tugs!,The drive units will be the smaller graupner ones as the models only 2ft long but haven't decided on the motors yet so any advice welcome?

cheers

dgp1957

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 09:45:54 am »

Hi Bill,
Is that the Dunter mate?

Davy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.