Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first wood build  (Read 2943 times)

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
first wood build
« on: June 02, 2008, 07:24:55 am »

Ive rescued an old lobster boat hull and its on the bench at the moment partially stripped.I intend to build a new cabin and part of the deck using lite ply and balsa to hold down the weight also its painted and its resisting attempts to sand it down as its either good paint or well soaked in.As its my first wood build(apart from odds and bits)do i use balsa sanding sealer to first waterproof any balsa bits or a would a thinned varnish coat do it overall and inside?
badly raised and ill mannered.

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
Re: first wood build
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 08:25:18 am »

leaky,

Sounds like fun - hope your name-de-plume is the only thing that lets in water!

In an ideal world we might give all wood, expecially balsa a coat or two of sealer before building it in, but I think that most people don't bother. 
 Glyn Guest doesn't even proof the inside of his - all balsa craft, but allow them to dry naturally after each sail.

If you are going to give wood a sealing coat then sanding sealer, varnish, polyurethane varnish or my favourite - acrylic varnish are all good. 
I would suggest applying them with a bit of rag or tissue and just giving the wood a light "wipe".  Applied this way they are dry in a few minutes.  The first coat is "hairy" and raises the grain - so a light swipe with blunt sandpaper makes it nice and satiny.

I'll lay a hefty bet that the massed ranks of the Mayhemmers would like to see some pics of your lobster boat ;D
andrew

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:02:55 am »

the hull is a bit poor to be honest its not the best build but it is 'disguisable' and if i get the superstructure right it wont be so noticeable.Ive had it in the testing tank(bath) and it floats perfectly with no leaks i just want to get this right as it will spur me onto do a PT boat i have plans for which will be a total scratch build  O0
badly raised and ill mannered.

bigford

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 05:14:33 pm »

my understanding of balsa sanding sealer is to seal the grain and keep it fuel proof.
my billings banckcert took 4 coats and a swip of body filler to cover the grain.
and after getting wet the wood warped >>:-( (cheap wood)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.