Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: type 23 frigate  (Read 9313 times)

brianc

type 23 frigate
« on: June 11, 2008, 11:19:10 pm »

HI guys ,just joined your forum and on the suggestion of Roger in France am posting some photos of my type 22 build

fitting the propshafts

building the foredeck framing

deck in place  starting super structure

centre superstructure

foremast

progress so far

I gave the ship its first coat of primer today,will post more pics as work progresses.

---------------------------------
Brian

Roger in France

Re: type 23 frigate
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 06:47:07 am »

Looking good, Brian.

Can you tell us more about the hull/kit, intended motive power etc.?

Roger in France.

brianc

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 12:09:19 pm »

Hi Roger.
Its a 1/96 scale Fleetscale hull and running set with Sirmar fittings,
She`s powered by two Model motors direct 555s running on 6v.I hope to install lights and a rotating radar ,also i`m looking at a sound module from Model Solutions of Canada.

---------------------
Brian

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 12:26:07 pm »

So now we have 2 brianc's. I can envisage some fun and games with that one! Especially when brian_c starts making progress on his "new" build. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Martin13

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 04:05:16 pm »

So now we have 2 brianc's. I can envisage some fun and games with that one! Especially when brian_c starts making progress on his "new" build. BY.

And I thought I was seeing Double :D :D

Martin doon under

brianc

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 04:24:21 pm »

Sorry guys but theres only one of me {-)
been in contact with Roger to change my name.All further post will be under the name big_bri
Sorry for any confusion

----------------------
Brian

Martin13

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 01:09:13 pm »

been in contact with Roger to change my name.All further post will be under the name big_bri
Sorry for any confusion

----------------------
Brian

No need to apologise Brianc.... err big_bri. Love the build - keep the pic's coming.

Martin doon under

brianc

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 03:31:08 pm »

Hi Martin. Thanks for the kind comments,I`m really a lot further ahead than the photo`s show,just hav`nt taken any pics recently.
Ill get some together and post them soon.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 08:54:52 pm »

Sorry for any confusion

----------------------
Brian
Could have been worse if you were called Martin :D  Very clean build BTW.
..well can you land on this?

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 10:24:07 pm »

I find it really informative to see shots of how other builders do their 'building.' Many thanks for the pics! Lets have some more.

The under deck looks like ply. Can you give us abit more info on this? Will you be having this as the actual deck or will you cover with plasti card?

Have you decided which T23 she's going to be? I havent seen anything in this thread so sorry if I've missed it!  O0

brianc

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 11:48:54 pm »

Hi,
The deck is made of lite ply.I used this because there are three different cambers along the length of the deck  :o

This is the main deck structure,no plasticard covering,I have given it three coats of sanding sealer and so far it has had two coats of primer.
I have sanded it between each coat and the finish is now very good.

The super structure is plasticard reinforced with plastistuct strips this makes a very light but strong structure.
this photo of the rear superstructure shows how I reinforced it inside,

when the glue dries it give a very realistic plated effect on the outside

you can just make out the effect in this photo of the forward structure.

I am going to call her either Argyll or St Albans I hav`nt quite decided yet :-\
I`ll take more photos of the build and post the soon

Martin13

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 02:28:00 am »

Big_bri,

As I said, very nice build. I will shortly be starting a Type 22 at 1:72 scale.

What thickness is the lite ply and as for superstructure, the size plasticard are you using, is it 0.5 or 1.0mm and the reinforcing strip, what size have you used - I need all the help I can get.
I have never used plasitcard or Evergreen strip, so any info would be of great assistance. I like the plating effect on the side of the superstructure. Great build and keep it coming.

Martin doon under

brianc

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 02:05:03 am »

Hi Martin.
The deck is 3mm lite ply and the superstructure is mainly 1.0mm plasticard but some parts will use .5mm and .75mm so a selection will be required.
the evergreen strip is .125x.125 pack number 186   but again a selection will be needed.I use different profiles between .40x.80 to .125x.185,you`ll be
amazed at how many you will use.The glue I use is EMA plasticweld but slaters Mekpac is very good too, it makes an almost instant join and when dry is
extremely strong,just hold the pieces to be joined together and apply the glue with a paint brush,job done {-)
Remember to screw the lid on tight when your finished or you`ll end up with an empty bottle .
My next project is also a type 22  in 1/72nd,I`m doing the batch 3 ,HMS CHATHAM, already ordered the hull from fleetscale and it should arrive very soon,
can`t wait :D i`m just itching to get started on it.
I`ve taken some pics today so i`ll propably post them some time tomorrow.
If you need any more info don`t hesitate to ask,only to glad to help ;)

P.S.
Martin a very good website is...modelwarshipsuk.co.uk   i`ve picked up tons of great hints and tips and if you need any information this is the place to ask.
A lot of the guys are ex navy and are full information and have loads of photos which they post regularly

brianc

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 02:43:15 am »

Hi Guys .Here are more photos of the build as promised.

Deck sealed and primed

forward superstructure

the bridge structure.the forward part of the bridge was a moulding I ordered from fleetscale,saved me a lot of work  ;)

intakes

centre section

hanger section

this is the after mast, after two attempts to make it out of plasticard I gave up.
So I ended up carving it out of a piece of jellutong.

I had to reduce the size of the quarter deck to gain access to the rudders.

This is how she looks tonight,the superstructure has had one coat of primer ,this will be sanded right back
to see how much filler i`ll have to use  ::)   
I started to prepare the fittings tonight ,it should really look the part once they are fitted O0
Tomorrow I am statring to build the missile launchers , guns etc,I`ll post more pics of these as they are built ,as they are models in there own right.

brianc

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 01:09:52 am »

Hi Martin.
Picking up my 1/72 scale Type 22 hull tomorrow ;)
The start of a new link shortly methinks O0

Martin13

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 11:36:49 am »

Hi Martin.
Picking up my 1/72 scale Type 22 hull tomorrow ;)
The start of a new link shortly methinks O0
Brian,

I ordered a 1/72 scale Type 22, Batch 3 a couple of weeks ago ;) Are you sure you didn't get mine {-) {-) {-)

I'm looking forward to the build and will be keeping a close eye on the forum - then I will know how to build mine O0 O0 O0

Martin

brianc

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 11:55:55 pm »

Hi Guys ,
I had a total disaster with my computer ,had to put it in for repair and when I got it back no more photos everything has gone,i`m afraid I can`t post the photos of the fittings getting built sorry >:(
Here are a couple of shots of her at the model warship weekend.still to fit the guardrails, I just received them today so i`ll post some pics of them being fitted plus a couple more fittings,

Soon be time to start the type22 frigate i`ve got waiting in the wings but thats another post ;)

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 07:44:15 pm »

Excellent work! And it looks like you've worked quickly too, if you've virtually completed it in little more than a month, I couldn't build that fast even if I only had one project on the workbench (and I never do  ::) )

Are you going to post any close-up photos? I'd like to see the details of the superstructure, mast, etc. Also, does the kit include a helicopter for the flight deck?

brianc

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 11:02:12 pm »

Hi Edward.
She actually took me nearly three months to get to this stage ,I started with the bare hull and built  the deck and superstructure from scratch.I`ve not got a helecopter yet, they carry a Merlin and they are very hard to come by in 1/96 scale but i`ll persevere,In the meatime i`ve got a Seaking ,not usually carried on this class of ship but it will do for now.
Here are some more pics.

Just got the stanchions and a few more fittings to add and she`s finished .
I`m taking her out for a sail on thursday so I`ll take some more photos of her on the water and post them at the end of the week O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.