Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bricklayer  (Read 4028 times)

suntugs

• Shipmate
bricklayer
« on: June 14, 2008, 06:28:05 pm »

This has nothing at all to do with boats, but a long long time ago when i was about 10 years old i had a construction set called a  bricklayer kit.This consisted off lots of small clay fired bricks, plastic window frames and doors.The idea was to build model houses by glueing the bricks together with thick wallpaper paste and when finished with the model dissolve the paste in abowl of water and start again .Does anyone out there remember these kits or did i imagine it

Robert Davies

Re: bricklayer
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 08:49:14 pm »

I have a vague recollection of this 'system being demo'd in the toy department of a large department store in my town, when I were nought but a boy....

-Rob

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 08:51:30 pm »

When you soaked the bricks did they "LEGGO" of each other and seperate?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

The long Build

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 09:05:47 pm »

Thats really bad bob. :D

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 09:14:29 pm »

Called "Brickplayer". Lots of bricks in little sacks. My father half-inched mine to design his new garage. Always wondered why he didn't get another set for himself. Competition came from "Bayko". 1948/9 perhaps? BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 09:30:12 pm »

I thought I was the only one ever to have seen one of those kits Bryan! Everyone I ever asked about it over the years said they had never seen or heard of it  but I distinctly remember, as a child, standing in front of a half built bungalow made from just one of these kits built by my uncle... hundreds of real tiny little bricks! So I didn't imagine it after all and many thanks for confirming I am not really going THAT mad!  O0

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 09:51:06 pm »

My brother had a set, don't remember it was called "Brickplayer" though, it had some other name which I can't recall.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 10:10:44 pm »

Dear All,

Then there was that kit with 'I' section girders that locked into each other. Excellent for constructing bridges, and making frames for imaginary buildings - excellent for supporting Scaletrix track I remember as well. Haven't a clue what it was called now, and haven't seen it since. Had this lovely big kit for a Christmas present back in about 1964 0r 65! - still find the odd bit in the bottom of drawers from time to time! Anybody remember what this stuff was called? - & yes I remember the brick stuff, but never had one as I insisted in playing with the real thing!!!

Regards, Bernard

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 10:18:04 pm »

Are youi thinking of Bayko, Bernard?

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 10:26:46 pm »

Dear Colin,

To be honest, it's so long ago now that I haven't a clue, but it may well be. Is it still around then as I haven't seen anything like it in shops.

I haven't forgotten about the Belfast pics.. I have just finished writing a heap of business emails that should have been on Fri., and what with one thing and another I simply have not been able to get this damn camera fired up. Me and such tech. things don't go well together, and I need the right frame of mind and a clear desk to do such things! I think I will try and get someone to do pics. with their camera, get them to put them to file and email them to me... I can then email them to you! Long winded I know, but probably a damn site faster than be getting mine sorted out!

Regards, Bernard

Reade Models

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 10:41:01 pm »

This has nothing at all to do with boats, but a long long time ago when i was about 10 years old i had a construction set called a  bricklayer kit.This consisted off lots of small clay fired bricks, plastic window frames and doors.The idea was to build model houses by glueing the bricks together with thick wallpaper paste and when finished with the model dissolve the paste in abowl of water and start again .Does anyone out there remember these kits or did i imagine it

I had one of those kits - miniature bricks, made of the same material as the real ones.  I remember glueing myself to them every time that I played with them - what a mess!  I think that the 'glue' was flour and water mix?

Bayko was something different, I had set of that as well.  It was a set of thermo-setting plastic (Bakalite) parts including a green base with a matrix of small holes in which you stuck small steel rods.  The 'bricks' were made of the same Bakalite material, but coloured white if I remember correctly?  The edges of the bricks had a half-round profile that fitted the steel rods that you had assembled into the base previously.  Once you had all of the walls constructed, there was a red Bakalite roof that sat on top.

Seems like yesterday, but it's probably 55 years ago?

Malc

Bob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 06:37:52 am »

Yes the BrickPlayer sets were here in the colonies too. My Dad was a brickie to trade so it was OK for the son to have  one of these sets. Still the remmanents among the contents of the "might be useful boxes". Was looking at some sheets of the roofing material just the other day but I put it back again.
Bob Ferguson

Roger in France

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 07:43:48 am »

Too low tech for todays kids but sounds fun to me. Wish I had seen it when I was a kid. That would have given me something else to beg my parents for, instead they had to continually respond to the word "Meccano".

I ended up with a huge kit which passed to my nephews and then back to my own boys and then went to an orphanage. The kit filled a huge suitcase with all the rods/bars/strips lovingly packed in little fabric pockets which my mother made. There were dozens of tins and boxes with all the smaller bits in and I swear the little spanners multiplied when the case was closed at night!

Ah happy, uncomplicated, educational days (he said stroking his long white beard and reaching for the Sanatogen).

Roger in France.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 08:57:02 am »

You should check put Bayko Builderon e-bay,its still a big thing (for collectors more now I guess) I had one as a kid, and my brother had "betta-builder" smaller bricks, the forrunner of leggo I guess. Now back to the story, I have a med size "Bricklayer" set BNIB (as e-bay users say) I brought if for my son when he was born from an antique shop (well I was going to play with it really) It come with water solubable cement mixed the same way as in full size, you even get a little trowel !!!! Mrs steamboat blew here saftey valve when she found out how much it cost, and was expecting some cute fluffy toy!! I will have to go into the loft and photo it,
Oh its still BNIB and my son is 16.............
Might give it to my self as a fathers day pressie
Steamed up all the time

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 11:49:35 am »

Brickplayer was the name. You built it with wallpaper paste. The windows and doors were to 0 gauge scale. There were also cardboard roofs which were embossed as tiles. I had a set and my brother had Bayko which he passed on to my son. I don't think he played with it more than once  :(

My Brickplayer went to one of my cousins and was never seen again.  :'(

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 12:04:12 pm »

Just a thought, but with modern materials and mould making techniques, it shouldn't be all that difficult to make something similar?
Notes from a simple seaman

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble

Alastair_I

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 01:48:32 pm »

I remember playing with both Brickplayer and Bayko (plastic wall sections that slotted between metal rods) at my grandparents as a child.. they had been my Dads.
Not sure what happened to them.

Al

djrobbo

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 09:02:47 pm »

Hi guys...as i said in a previous thread.........had one of them........remember the blueprint floor plan , mixing the cement (paste) and the horrible mess you made trying to make a bungalow or something .........well i was only about 7 or 8 at the time.

The thing i remember the most was that my mum got extremely pi%$ed drinking port with chriffy dinner and the resulting hangover saw her  playing with my brickplayer coz she couldn't move her head {-)......i wasn't allowed near it for two days, and as i was an only child , you try playing blow football on your own :D

Oh happy days.........by the way i still have some bayko.....and a number nine meccano set...........sad aint i ??

regards.bob.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 01:02:59 pm »

Re the ebay set. How do people keep the original boxes? I have my brother's Bayko, but it is in a large wooden box which he tailored with sub sections for the different bricks etc. The tie bars and base connectors are in little pots from sandwich filler that hasn't seen the inside of a shop for decades (ah the culinary delights of the fifties   :D  ).

Thes toys in their original packaging can't have seen much use or the owners were very careful or had an eye to a future sale fifty plus years on.

Doug
Don't Assume Check
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.