Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Sir Lancelot..... GOT IT READY!!!!  (Read 9792 times)

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
HMS Sir Lancelot..... GOT IT READY!!!!
« on: June 15, 2008, 06:42:15 pm »

... unbelievable, but true... I got that Mountfleet-kit ready. Never thought that I would reach it somewhen in this life... :P

Anyway- it was a real challenge and I think that there is lot`s of improvement in the kit itself. The manual is simply a shame, some items just good for the bin. Others had been excellent anyway. But I don`t want to blame it further... hope that the weather allows the maiden voyage soon (as it is raining since 4 days....).
Here the first two photographs taken of it...

Happy modeling,
Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: HMS Sir Lancelot..... GOT IT READY!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 06:54:02 pm »

Very nice Jörg, so thats what you've been doing all this time.

More photos when it's on the water please, it looks an exellent model.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 07:40:26 pm »

Hi Richard,
yep- if the weather will make it possible anyway. Some hours more of that stuff and I can start to move the Velox through the garden...  :-\, her depth of 3/4 inch would make it possible anyway.

Have to take more indeepgoing photographs tomorrow... will be back here soon.

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 09:16:59 pm »

What was it like to build Jörg. I am thinking of maybe doing Caldercrafts Milford Star which is the civilian version of  HMS Sir Lancelot.
How good are the instructions etc ? :)

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 11:00:11 pm »

Richard, it wasn`t the Caldercraft- it was the Mountfleet kit. Caldercraft is scale 1:48, but very topheavy (I was told). So I decided to get the Mountfleet scale 1:32. Makes a big boat, but to be honest.... it has not earned the name "kit" anyway. Some items are really brilliant, some are just good for the bin. The manual which guides the kit is not a big help at all and in my comprehension it is too much guesswork in it. That`s probably one of the reasons why it took me 18 months in total to build it. But I can`t help, to make some modifications on whichh I will be back with photographs soon.

Jörg

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 11:36:57 pm »

As mentioned before I have made some alterations against the attached items in the kit. The base of the superstructure was attached, but the 2nd level was somwhat pre-printed birchwood. I replaced it by 1,0mm aluminium. The layout of the bridge was also changed to a complete interior, including radio-equipment in the corner and a chart-table.
The decks had been also changed to aluminium, instead of the birchwood.
The r/c equipment and propulsion was installed before the deck. Lot`s of cablework to do, as there had been plnaed some extras to make it a fully working model.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 11:38:13 pm »

The forward gun was made turnable, with some switches allowing a turn of 180 degrees.
The winches, which had been a part of the kit are superb in its quality. As I wanted to show the boat in a slightly weathered condition, the winches needed to be look like the real thing too, covered in dust, a bist rusty and with leaking bolts....

More to follow soon.....

barryfoote

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 07:27:05 am »

Jorg,

She was well worth the wait, a real beauty...The windlass is superbly finished. I always found that modifying kits is essential in order to retain true historical accuracy, but the research and work involved makes a great learning curve..

Barry

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 07:33:34 am »

Barry, you are dead right- with modifying the kits. It was my first boat (own boat) which I have made weathered. Have some experience with weathering from my model-railway and some models weathered for club-members. But in this case, with that scale it was nearly a MUST to do.
My third kit ever, but promised- it was the last one. I prefer scratch and my favourite scale is 1:100.

The windlass itself is a brilliant item in the kit, if you know how to treat them.

Jörg

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 03:55:42 pm »

O.K.- some more.... (still no maiden voyage possible as it DOES NOT STOP RAINING! Grrrrrrrrr..... >:()

The wooden strips are pearwood taken from the old tree in our garden. The prop is selfmade out of a tool I have created, so I can do all my props on my own in shape, blades and diameter. This one has a dia of 75mm.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 08:30:55 pm »

Ha! The weather was absolutely brilliant, sun shining as there had been no rain in the last days- and I had been out at the pond for my first trials. As lousy as the kit was, as brilliant she worked from the very start. Ballasting, r/c, motor... everything worked excellent and fullfilled my expectations. By the movements you see, that he is a really h4eavy boy. Just a little rolling... and that`s it...

And now the bitter pill in it.... as the workshop will bang if I just let a nut fall down on the floor..... I have to sell her.... Have to tidy up and clear the collection....

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 08:52:22 pm »

Looks just like a real one Jörg. I don't think I could get rid of her that quickly.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 10:06:49 pm »

Richard... it`s more a crying than a laughing eye...... :'(, but have to sell her anyway. The next project is waiting to be done, and wants it`s space too.....

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 12:01:29 pm »

What a lovely model Jörg! I've only just discovered this thread. A very handsome design this armed trawler (Round Table class?).

All the best
Simon  :o

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 10:51:48 pm »

Hi Jorg,

Beautiful boat, you must be well pleased the final result  O0

Sir Lancelot is on my wish list but I keep hearing about problems with the kit. Having overcome the problems, would you say a reasonable practical modeler can overcome these problems? I am certainly not at a level where I can make my own propellers !!

Regards

longshanks

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 11:48:37 am »

Hi Longshanks, the prop is the smallest problem with that boat. I found the manual very.... "poor" in his explanations. This is not only depending on my poor English, but even with a dictionary you won`t get out more informations.
The hull itself is fine moulded, but has a pretty number of dents and bubbles which need to be filled. As you have seen in the photographs I have made lots of modifications versus the kit. To put it in a short way:
The kit is not worth the price. It would have been better just to buy the hull and make the superstructure on your own. Maybe I`m aiming too high, as I usually do scratch scale 1:100 and try to get the highest grade of details, but it must be possible to produce such a kit in better quality. Just a mark on the quality of the whitemetal-fittings, which are attached: The range goes von very good until simply rubb**h.
So, my recommendataion: If you want to make it- just buy the hull, the plan and make the rest scratch. It`ll took the same time (believe me) and you`ll have the same or better result.
Don`t hang too much on the prop.... the are hundreds of better details which need to be listened.

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 10:33:29 pm »

Hi Jorg,
Many thanks for your honest appraisal of the kit.

I think I will do as you suggest and just buy the hull. As you say scratch building can be simpler than trying to put right others errors and certainly more satisfying  O0

Do the plans supplied give enough information or do I need to obtain further plans?

Regards

longshanks

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 06:57:11 am »

The plan is fine for....hrmmmmm, let`s say 90% of the case. If you wanna be on the safe side, get in touch with John Lambert, he`s still in print with a plan of it.

Don`t want to offend Mountfleets for it, the kit might be fine, for some. But he does not fullfill the expectations which are set in.

B.t.w., if you can`t get a single hull, don`t change to the Caldercraft kit either. The Caldercraft kit is scale 1:48 and there had been in another post some comments about the difficulties with that kit of being top-heavy.

Hope that was out of any help,

Jörg

Cargo

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 10:16:15 am »

Very nice boat, looks brilliant on the water O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.