Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: bomb squad  (Read 7093 times)

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
Re: bomb squad
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 09:54:30 pm »

Hi Gary,

Sure was, if you listen right at the end one guy says `no more iron` I suspect they were shooting at a steel plate, thats the reason I think it was a `down loaded` home load as .50 cal service would go through 1/2" plate at that sort of range.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

GaryM

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 09:59:39 pm »

Ah!  Sorry got the builders in and I've not got the speakers connected :embarrassed:

Thanks
Gary

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 01:36:33 am »

So what exactly happened? a ricochet? ???

Gary :)

You can also hear the 'zipp' as the round returns.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 03:06:49 pm »

Dear All,

Have come on for a few mins. to have a look around before a meeting and looked at this again - a curious and rare event that is difficult to explain.

The round was clearly fired, and the time delay before the dust was kicked up from the ground ricochet before it hit him indicates that the target was some distance off. However, it begs the question of exactly what was he shooting at? A metal plate of some kind would have either been vertical or leaning backwards away from the shooter. If vertical and hit squarly the tendency would be for squash, and any ricochet could go in any direction (and highly unlikely to go straight back!): if the target was set at an angle away from the incoming round, it would without doubt go upwards and away- and not go back to the shooter... but, if at an angle sideways (assuming the target had been shot at a few times), there would be a strong possibility that the round could hit something nearby and go back for revenge!The area looked 'rocky', and I strongly suspect there was more than one ricochet before it hit the ground in front of the shooter... which would explain the reduction of velocity before it hit him. A clever matematical person could equate the time lapse between the dust and the shooter being hit, and calculate an apx. velocity... not me I'm afraid though.

The only other explanation is that the animal population in that area are armed and fighting back!!! ;D

Back to work unfortunately!

Regards, Bernard

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 05:28:12 pm »

{-) {-) {-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 02:27:35 pm »

With it being on YouTube, and never getting a look at the victim, it is possible that it was an amateur FX job.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 03:02:24 pm »

Dear Malcolm,

Just a quick note.

I am inclined to agree with you, but unusual things do happen it has to be said. If they were firing at a metal plate, and if that plate was leaning back against a rock, a round could hit the plate, ricochet up to the rock, and then back to the shooter (three ricochets - four if you include the clout the shooter had! -and who know's where it went after that... it could still be doing the rounds! {-)). All very hypothetical, but it must be said not impossible. The chances are God know's how many to one, but maybe the shooter was unfortunate enough to find the one!

Oh well, back to work!

Regards, Bernard

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 10:18:53 pm »

Bernard,

Whilst I agree that the odds of the round hitting the shooter are very high a Rick O'Shea in that sort of terrain would be highly probable.

A civilian range I use to shoot on had a sand bullet catcher behind the targets, this was about 15ft thick at the bottom and angled at about 50 degrees. Every year it was de-leaded i.e. dug out and the sand was passed through sieve's to remove any stone or spend bullets. Despite all this we still had `willy wizzers` on a regular basis.

The target frame was made of old railway sleepers and it as been known for a small fast moving bullet .223 or the like to actually turn in the timber and come back out up range. Fortunatly these only had enough energy left to travel about 10`.

Yours Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.