Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Faster Spraying!  (Read 4650 times)

Don

Faster Spraying!
« on: June 16, 2008, 02:01:47 am »

I’m looking for an airbrush that gives a little more volume than the typical airbrush.
I would like to be able to paint the hull a little faster than 20 minutes.  Say a pattern of 1 ½ to 2” wide.  I thought of possibly opening up one of the nozzles but would rather just purchase something more reliable.  Or perhaps make something.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Don

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Faster Spraying!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 05:20:17 am »

Why not use Halfords car spray paint - plenty people do with good results.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Don

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 08:31:41 am »

Because to the best of my knowledge it is not offered here.  I’m also guessing that Halfords is also in a pre mixed can.  I’ve had some problems in the past with “canned” paint.  They have a tendency to clog up the nozzle.  Other times I have purchased the same manufacture; same color and they are shades different. 

So what I do is use “Createx AutoAir” paint.  It comes in 2, 4, 8, 16 and 32 ounce containers.  I usually purchase the 4-ounce size.  These are water based paints.  So if I end up with two containers that differ in color shades it is easy to mix the two together to blend the paint.  Also being water based the fumes are not as bad.  The only thing you really need to watch for is to make sure it is well sealed with a clear coat when finished. 

Don

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 08:47:21 am »

Don
Have a look at the Badger 250-4. It's physically bigger than the standard 250 and holds a 4oz jar.
FLJ

Don

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 01:14:49 pm »

FLJ

Thanks, looks like that should work.

Don

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 07:37:52 pm »

What you could use is a gravity fed Gun used for touch up's and usually holds around 1/4 to 1/2 ltr of paint.These guns are by nature the bets in the game and will close down to arouns 2ins and open up to give a fan widht of around 10.Downside price

http://www.devilbisseu.com/cat.aspx?id=41

also good supplier

http://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/?gclid=COaNmKSUgZQCFQ6S1QodRmcbVw

Stavros

Bradley

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 09:56:32 pm »

The sites mentioned by Stavros do some lovely spray guns but I feel that for model boat work they are, in general, out of our price bracket.  At risk of being shot down, I would suggest having a look at eBay.  I bought a spray gun on there a short time ago and, even if I find it is not very good at its job, I have not lost a great deal and can always revert to Halfords spray cans.  O0
Derek.   :police:

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:04:39 pm »

fair comment now I got your attention so to speak try these fro sie excellent little guns got one my self

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/pgf14-gravity-fed-pro-spray-gun/path/spray-guns-spraying-equipment-air-brushes

or even this does not look much but it is a delight to use

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/tg2-professional-touch-up-gun/path/spray-guns-spraying-equipment-air-brushes

Stavros

Bradley

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 10:22:09 pm »

Stavros, I would go along with your suggestions - the prices are reasonable (to say the least) and I am sure the gravity gun also appears on eBay.
Derek.   :police:

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 10:40:02 pm »

I am sure it does I must admit that the small touch up gun is truly a delight to use and such small quantities can be mixed,the beauty of course is that it gives a bigger fan than an airbrush with in my opinion far better results

Stavros

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 01:31:05 am »

Stavros, what sort of compressor do you use with those guns?
Peter.

Damien

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 02:14:51 am »

Peter, I got mine from Repco $99 2Hp good tank size enough air to run Nail gun,Die grinder, Rattle gun, and other air tools i've sprayed several cars with both full size and suction touch-up paint guns with no significant loss of pressure, with great results. The onboard regulator goes down to around 10lb being good for my Badger 200 and my dual action airbrushes.
Super cheap Auto parts sell similar at similar prices.
Damien. 

Don

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 12:57:29 pm »

or even this does not look much but it is a delight to use
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/tg2-professional-touch-up-gun/path/spray-guns-spraying-equipment-air-brushes

Stavros

As it turns out this is the one I had in a storage box and had forgotten about it.  When I purchased it I did not have a big enough compressor.  Well took care of that and now all is well.  I am building a schooner called the Mary J Ward.  It took all of 5 minutes to paint the ballast bulb.  Followed by 2 more coats 20 minutes apart and then a coat of clear.  It went so fast that I kept checking to make sure I covered everything.  If I ever figure out how to post a picture I will.  I did find one drawback.  I like to paint outside when I can ( been very warm in the last 2 weeks) and now I notice that there is a section of my patio fence that has a red tent to it.  The flow travels a lot further than I expected.

Don

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 01:10:28 pm »

I have a compressor that has two outputs, one fixed and one adjustable, I now have acquired all the adaptors to connect my airbrushes (basic badger type). I've always used cans of air for ease but would now like to use the compressor.

The questions are : what sort of pressure does the compressor have to be set to and does it vary a lot with different paint?

Stavros

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 06:02:17 pm »

Peter fitness right me got 2 one small comp with a 6ltr tank for my airbrush The second is a Sip 7cfm with a 50ltr tank.I do us the Rolls Royce of guns a Develbis GJA with does consume around 12cfm,but if one is careful the comp can just about keep up

Grasshoper as far as pressure is concerned there should be no difference at all with various paints ideally around the 55psi mark will atomise the paint properly,depending of course if you have mixed it right

Stavros

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 07:16:33 am »

Damien, thanks for your info. We have both Repco and Super Cheap Auto in Ballina, so I will check them out.
Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.