Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Milk  (Read 2442 times)

barryfoote

Black Milk
« on: June 16, 2008, 09:30:15 am »

For many years now I have used a weathering technique using ordinary milk and simple water based black paint. It works very well and as I have started using it again on my latest build, I thought I would share it with you all should there be enough interest. I have taken several photograps of the process, which will be included so as to illustrate the effect.

Watch this space!!!

Barry

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Black Milk
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:43:12 am »

Well get a move on Barry, we are watching with bated breath.
You are not related to Prince Charles are you, he does a similar thing with yoghurt and cow dung I believe ? :-\

Seriously though it should be very interesting to see. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 02:14:35 pm »

Okay Richard here we go....You asked for it!!!

In weathering model boats there are many techniques available, I just find that to make a vessel look used this method works. Is simple to do, and any errors can be cleaned up, leaving the finished result just as you want it. It is very effective on both plastic smooth finishes or wood.

Why milk? Well unlike water, milk will allow the paint to be removed with a damp cloth even when dry.

Preparation is very important. After final painting, ensure everthing to be weathered has a coat of Matt varnish and allow to dry thouroughly. Next make sure you have an hour or two to sit in one go. Mix a small quantity of milk in a glass and add a few drops of water based black paint to it and mix it together well. You should have a good black and not grey colour. Have a good supply of fresh water to hand together with a clean damp cloth and a couple of different size paint brushes.

Now do not cover too much at once until you have had some practice, but cover the area liberally as shown in the photos and leave for a few minutes to "dry". I always find it easier to start removing the mixture before it is fully dry. Using the damp cloth wipe the paint off. initially try to wipe it all off. You will find that some residue stays in the joints and cracks and the grain of any wood used. In the difficult to get at areas you can use the pointed end of a paint brush wrapped in the cloth. Keep cleaning the cloth out as much as is needed. To give a dirtier effect simply do not clean up as much.

If you find you have over done it, use a paint brush and water to release the mixture and wipe the excess off.

When happy with the final effect, leave to dry properly and then double check that all is well before sealing it in with another coat of Matt varnish.

Do not use on unvarnished decks and fittings made of timber...

Barry

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

More pictures:

Remember the final result is meant to be subtle so underdone is better than overdone.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 05:24:42 pm »

FULL FAT OR SEMI SKIMMED  :o...............

BUT SERIOUSLY, THANKS FOR THAT, NEVER HEARD OF USING BLACK MILK BEFORE
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

ronkh

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 12:44:00 pm »

Barry,

Hi mate and hope you liked the F1 photos. When any new ones come my way, I will post them on usual page.
As for your weathering pictures, that is just how I want my Thames barque to look so will be giving it a go. Really like them so hope I can get - if not the same - then as near as I can.
If I want to weather a smaller area, do I use condensed??
I have also put a query elsewhere on this site regarding making a tug boat. If you can find it, perhaps you could take the time and give me some ideas?? I have also asked about paints. (I cant remember just now where I put it!)

Ron.

barryfoote

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 02:30:51 pm »

Ron,

Like that Condensed milk pun....very good.

Go for the black milk effect. it really does work.

For tips on the tug build have a look at my build thread on Lady T  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7930.0

It is full of good ideas, generated largely by my questions and the help of many top model makers.

If I can help in any other way, PM me. Only too glad to help out..

Barry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 22 queries.