Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 korts 2 rudders  (Read 5789 times)

Garabaldy

2 korts 2 rudders
« on: June 17, 2008, 12:13:52 am »

Ok i just fitted my kort nozzles and im away to fit the 2 rudders.  from my interpritation of the plan each rudder sits directly behind the kort nozzle on the same centres as the prop shaft.  If i fit my rudders like this it would be very difficult to change the proppellors, actually im pretty certain it would be impossiblie.  In this situation should the rudders be slightly off centred or should i devise some plan to allow the rudders to be removable?

Thanks

FullLeatherJacket

Re: 2 korts 2 rudders
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 06:15:30 am »

Which model are you building? In some cases the rudders can be mounted on shafts with grub screws if you epoxy a suitable collet into the rudder casting (e.g. Model Slipway Aziz) or you can withdraw the shafts into the model as you unscrew the props.
FLJ

Garabaldy

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:04:11 am »

Its the wimpey seahunter from metcalf.

I understand what a collet us but i cant quite get my head around how to use it in this situation......  If done like you suggest is the rudder totaly removable from the boat?

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 11:35:25 am »

hi there

The way I myself overcame this problem on my model of the Seaforth Clansman; was I manufactured 2 brass plates which the bottom of the rudder post located in.  This was then bolted to the bottom of the Korts nozzle.  So, to remove the rudders & gain access to the propellers, all one has to do is remove the 2 securing bolts on the plate and do the rudder linkage inside the hull and the rudders slide out.  What I think FLJ is referring to when he mentions the Collet - this is mounted on the propeller shaft on the inside of the hull - between the end of the prop shaft and the coupling, preventing movement back and forwards of the prop shaft.

Now if you undo the Collet and coupling, and slide the prop shaft back into the hull, whilst unscrewing the prop shaft from the propeller - this should allow a clearance for the propeller to be removed from the back end of the Korts nozzle.

Ive included a little sketch to try and explain the method I used.   Hope this is helpful to you.

Aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »

Actually I had this in mind. Worked on Al Khuholic, Dutch Courage and Azizn't - suit yourself.

FLJ

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 01:33:06 pm »

The methods are great, but I forsee problems should salt water ever become involved and dissimilar metals be used due to electrolytic corrosion.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 02:08:40 pm »

The methods are great, but I forsee problems should salt water ever become involved and dissimilar metals be used due to electrolytic corrosion.

SALT? :o :o :o :o

;)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Garabaldy

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 02:58:58 pm »

i like both these ideas.  Fitting the collet inside the rudder is a really neat simple way of doing it but are these collets available or do they need to be custom made.  I have no access to any kind of machinery to make such a thing.

Thanks everyone, as usual this forum is acting as a life line!

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 03:07:38 pm »

Hi ya there one and all

I will tell you where you get the Collets if you tell me where FLJ gets his programme for doing arl his drawings with - makes me scribble look rubbish - why aye man.

Garabaldy you can purchase these Collets from any good model shop - normally the flylads and lasses use them to lock the wheels onto under carriages also, you should be able to obtain a variety of sizes to suit your needs.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Garabaldy

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 03:11:42 pm »

excellent, il have a hunt around for them right now!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 06:33:40 pm »

SALT? :o :o :o :o

;)
Those of us who live on the coast have nice lakes, but they are usually part of the sea defences, and filled from the sea, which is full of the stuff.  Anybody who takes a boat to the seaside should bear this in mind.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 08:33:46 pm »

And those of us who live in Gods country can choose between fresh water lakes and the sea!  They are only 40 mins apart.   O0
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 11:33:25 pm »

you tell me where FLJ gets his programme for doing arl his drawings with

Bloobs
It's all done with crayons, stencils and a box Brownie, John........... ;). Your scribbles look fine to me, marra - it's the content that matters.

Ian
Just :P

FLJ

Roger in France

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 06:46:16 am »

If I can dare to add to FLJ's advice.....I would drill a smallish hole part way into the rudder post where the grub screw impinges. This would ensure, 1. a firm location of the grub screw and, 2. less chance of the rudder becoming detached and falling into Davy Jones' Locker.

Roger in France.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 09:12:38 am »

Thanks, Roger; forgot that bit. I filed a flat onto the shaft but it's the same fing, innit?
FLJ

Garabaldy

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 02:07:27 pm »

Could anyone recommend a place to order a few of these collets from?  Im having trouble finding them, when i search for collets all i get is the parts youd put in the end of a drill.  As for rudder construction this is what i had in mind, although im not sure how well plasticard sticks to brass? 

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 03:57:47 pm »

You might strike lucky here........... ::)
http://www.sloughrc.com/pages/Products/Aircraft/SRCM-CataloguePage.asp?categoryid=090-010-030
If t'were me, I'd solder a brass strip onto the collet and sandwich it between the two pieces of plasticard. I'd probably put another identical assembly at the bottom of the rudder, too.
Suit yourself.
FLJ

Garabaldy

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 04:09:40 pm »

there is a piece of brass sheet sandwiched between the 2 pieces of plasticard there but i forgot to note it.....

thanks everyone!

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 05:16:18 pm »

there is a piece of brass sheet sandwiched between the 2 pieces of plasticard there but i forgot to note it.....

thanks everyone!

So it's not just great minds that think alike  :o
FLJ

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 01:21:39 pm »

Not exactly a collet, but most electric light fittings have a couple of brass cubes with a through hole and a threaded hole at 90 deg, and come complete with a brass screw. 

hama

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 08:25:36 pm »

Hey, thats great! I will use this on my new boat. All this wisdom concentrated to one place!
Hama
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.