Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's ebays way , or the highway ( feeBay strikes again )  (Read 2815 times)

HoverCrane

It's ebays way , or the highway ( feeBay strikes again )
« on: June 19, 2008, 02:50:53 am »

In Australia ebay has put a gun to the heads of all their sellers in the form of Paypal OR NOTHING .

Thank you very much ebay for the freedom of choice .

The Australian government this week had to step in and order them to stop . However eBay is still trying to push on regardless  . Who owns Papal ? Who gets a double fee for handling the sale twice . Maybe they should be called  FEE-bay .

Of course they are using the oldest excuse in the book for why they have to do this to their customers . SAFETY . Many other online Auction companies  and money handlers in Australia like Paymate and Oztion have been pulled into this argument . They all totally disagree with ebays figures , verses  their own for why people need buyers protection . In other words , ebays figures are much higher than everyone else's  . Ebay will have you believe if you don't have buyers protection you will burn in hell and your life will never be the same . Naturally there are always a few bad eggs out there who do pray on others ( riping them off ) .

HOWEVER

Should all Buyers and sellers now have to pay up to 3.4 percent EXTRA on every ebay sale  across the board ( with no other options  ) . Freedom of choice is paramount to the western civilization we live in .

They have also threatened in an email this week , to all there sellers , regardless of the Australian government ruling , if they catch anyone advertising another form of payment , they will cancel that persons listing immediately .

It's ebays way , or the highway   ( feeBay strikes again )

Damien

Re: It's ebays way , or the highway ( feeBay strikes again )
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 03:22:28 am »

I agree it stinks a definate restrictive trade practice, buyer protection what rot.
In almost 1000 ebay sales i've only had 3 go missing in the post, and all three were paypal payments and all 3 opted for not having Registered post, consequently i lost all 3 disputes. To win a dispute you must have sent via trackable delivery ie. Registered post.
Registered post costs $2.70 here in Aust. A lot on top of a $6 pack of LED's that i provide the free 50c stamp for.
Since those disputes I double listed one list for Paypal buyers and one for direct deposit and money orders with the new rules everyone must pay $2.70 and i've had to increase cost 40c to cover paypal seller fee. it's only been a few days and my sales have dropped 70% and Aussie auction site oztion has grown by 30,000 in the past few weeks.
If ebay keep going with this push it will end up killing their business (imho)
My local Brass supplier emailed me of his switch from ebay to oztion, I hadn't used oztion for 12mths or so, i'm happy to go there again and list the 6 Led varieties i sell, with and without paypal.
Damien.

HoverCrane

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 04:42:42 am »

Hi Damien . I'm very sorry to here your business has dropped 70 percent after ebays new GREEDY tactics .

I hope the 100 percent owned Australian auction ( Oztion ) can help you get back some of your sales .

As I said in the original post , it's a bigger issue of Freedom of choice . The same thing happened with Microsoft a few years ago .

I know it 's  ebay's  web- site and it seem like they should be able to run it the way they want , but the underlying reality is , if some large companies like ebay are left unchecked , they sometimes start to dominate + use their power to crush everyone around them , leaving you and I with no freedom of speech .

The movie iRobot would be a good example of how the world could become if single companies were allowed to dominate without a fair balance for all other consumers and competitors ...

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 07:30:24 am »

Hi,
I recently started selling on ebay. (Yes about seventy of my model boat projects and referbs will be on there soon)
As the first two items were collect only, I stated that there was no Pay Pal option on this item. Firstly, I had to re apply as I did not include Pay Pal as a form of payment, and then the item was removed from ebay because I has said no Pay Pal, and I had to pay again to re-list the item.
The risk to the purchaser was, as mentioned their reason. What risk? he was going to see the item before paying!
I also notice on most listings, it says this seller prefers Pay Pal. I wonder if he really does.

Bob

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 07:44:12 am »

As wit all these things the solution is in your own hands.  If everyone instantly stopped using eBay they would have to change thier minds to remain in business.

Organise a day of action, pick a day and try to get word out to everyone in Aussie to refuse to post sales on a particular day.  Just think of the imopact on thier business?  I would guarrantee that they would immediately change thier minds.  The trouble is nowadays you cannot get people to work together like this but it is worth thinking about.  The internet is a very powerfull tool for getting a message out there.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Ow Abreast

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 08:46:11 am »

It is alarming the way ebay are dictating to sellers and a lot of emphasis seeming to err towards buyer protection..... i do agree boycott the site! i have sold a few things on ebay but now have little faith in it.. what protection does it  offer sellers? if you sold an item on ebay and sent it via courier and received a signature from the courier to say the item has been successfully delivered great! nice easy transaction..wrong! the buyer could open a dispute and claim he/she did not receive the item you are powerless to do anything paypal will always side with the buyer and refund there money (charging them £25) there are people on ebay who now use this fraudulent method to gain goods by deception so beware even with a signature your goods are not safe!

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 12:33:16 pm »

As a buyer on ebay and the internet in general, I'm all in favour of PayPal - I know nothing is totally safe, but not having to transmit your credit card details for every transaction is very reassuring.

All retail outlets using cards incur a fee. It's part of being in business and giving the customer what they want. How the seller gets it back is his problem - most shops and restaurants build it into the price.

I have only ever had one defaulting seller on ebay - I paid by cheque!

Rick

HoverCrane

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 02:11:15 pm »

Hi Rick . To quote you '' How the seller gets it back is his problem ''

The problem is , the seller must pass the extra fee on to you the buyer . So none of us can hide from ebays new excuse for double billing us all . Please remember its' not just the sellers problem .

If it really did make a big difference to safety , then maybe we would all just lump it . However all the other companies  ( in the same business ) that have come forward so far , E.G   Paymate , Oztion and so on , have volunteered their stats regarding the same issue on how many people fall victim to a transaction disputes .

Here are the facts  ....

Ebay continued to push the point that you are  "four times less likely to have a problem if you pay with PayPal" , but refused to back up their claim with solid data.  EBay were also asked why other third-party options such as BPAY and Australian-owned Paymate were not available.

Paymate managing director Dilip Rao said his company currently provides the same level of protection as PayPal, and would like to continue being a payment option on eBay. EBay has not proven in any way that Paymate is less safe than PayPal . They provide the same service.

Ozion CEO totally disputes eBay's claim that direct deposit transactions are four times more likely to end in a dispute.

He said that was  very very high  . Oztions  stats show that 79 per cent of transactions that used direct deposit, only a tiny 0.4 per cent actually end up in a dispute, but out of them, 80 per cent are resolved."

EBAY  WHERE IS YOUR SOLID DATA TO BACK UP YOUR CLAIM THAT we will be "four times less likely to have a problem if we pay with PayPal"  >:(

Hover

The long Build

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 06:07:55 pm »

More chance of me walking on the moon tomorrow than ever getting an answer out of paypal. :( their ok when all goes well and thats about it.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 08:42:02 pm »

eBay Forums are full of the same criticism and if you are an eBay regular you should know all about this.
Is this the right forum for this discussion as this forum cannot question eBay?
It has gone from information to complaining about how eBay answer questions.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

The long Build

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 09:38:01 pm »

Is this the right forum for this discussion as this forum cannot question eBay?
Bob
probably not bob but but then you never get any answers from them in any forum and this is a general section chit chat thread, and no unfounded accusations have been made.

bigfella

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 11:34:33 pm »

I am all for Paypal as a way of paying for things on ebay or any other on-line site, it is the safest way. The problem with Direct deposit on ebay is the money is put into the account and gone if the seller does a runner with the goods and your money, what can ebay really do?? suspend or cancell their account. Thats it. No money back and then they will just open another account under a differant name. At least you have the insurance that you will get something back with Paypal. Then again it is their site and they should be able to dictate how things should be run. Don't you think? There is no restraint of trade or any misdealing. IT IS THEIR SITE AND YOU USE IT WITH THEIR RULES. Just like a Shopping Centre has rules like opening and closing times, what type of advertising you can do, what items are not fit for sale at a centre. No difference. If you don't like it move on to another site, simple.

Regards David

Damien

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 05:50:57 am »

I am all for Paypal as a way of paying for things on ebay  If you don't like it move on to another site, simple.

Regards David

That I will David, As i only sell to Australia I'll use oztion for sales and use ebay and oztion for buying.

I Think the small population in Australia being used to test the water for global activation of this use paypal or nothing tactic. Wingertaz in UK is the only international  ebay seller i use and paypal is cheaper than an international money order so ok for me.
As a seller ebay is a dead loss to me with fees the change too the feedback policy the with sellers only choice of positive or none at all.
ebay has lost me as a seller, after current listings end and it will cost them $150-200 a month in seller fees
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.