Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dry dock to water in 40 minutes  (Read 2019 times)

barryfoote

Dry dock to water in 40 minutes
« on: June 20, 2008, 12:58:16 pm »

Hi everyone,

This morning I took a little trip to the local harbour at Caleta de Velez, which is about 60 kilometers east of Malaga. I spotted work being done on this large fishing boat and decided to watch them for a while. They were finishing off the red lead below the waterline and then they lifted her from the blocks, moved her some 200 meters to the water and lowered her in. The boat reversed away before heading out to open water.

The whole thing took less than 40 minutes. I was very impressed and had a great time down there. Hope you all like the photos...

Barry

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Dry dock to water in 40 minutes
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 01:22:36 pm »

O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 02:17:13 pm »

Nice photo's Barry and very interesting.   I notice they painted the propeller, which would certainly not be done on a larger vessel so wondered what was considered to be the advantages of that.  We actually polish the props every three months to keep the surfaces as smooth as possible and would certainly not normally put any sort of coating on them.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 03:51:29 pm »

Bunkerbarge,

Now don't forget that great Spanish motto "manana manana", meaning tomorrow tomorrow or to be precise not at all. Painting gets done every few years.....better than polishing every three months... ;D

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 04:15:45 pm »

Just think as well, the QE2 once went into dry dock one morning, diembarked passengers, took on passengers and had an underwater job done in the dock and then sailed the same day!

That takes a bit of organising!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 04:38:13 pm »

The fishing boat may have a steel prop, the ones on Bunkerbarge's ship are probably gilded!  ;)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 08:51:30 pm »

Nice photo's Barry and very interesting.   I notice they painted the propeller, which would certainly not be done on a larger vessel so wondered what was considered to be the advantages of that.  We actually polish the props every three months to keep the surfaces as smooth as possible and would certainly not normally put any sort of coating on them.
What size masking tape did they use?
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.