Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Halfords spray tins (again)!  (Read 15880 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Halfords spray tins (again)!
« on: June 21, 2008, 01:42:23 pm »

Getting ready to source the paint for the Slipway Envoy civvie tug. There's been mention on here about spray tins from Halfords but, can anyone tell me if this is their own brand, plastikote or another?

Had a look on their site and I just seem to get the option of automotive paint or hammerite.

I did manage to find a car part shop that sold 150ml spray tins of acrylic paint by a company called Hycote. Their red primer is an ideal colour for anti fouling on ships. Anyone know if this is sold by Halfords? Otherwise I'll have to trawl the net and see if I can find them.

Also, is there a problem using enamel & acrylic on a surface? Can one only be put on top of the other, if so, which way around?!

Ta  O0

Bradley

Re: Halfords spray tins (again)!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 02:25:22 pm »

Halfords spray cans are done under their own name.  On model tugs, trawlers, etc., I use the Halfords primers and colours and finish with Plasti-kote clear acrylic satin which just takes the gloss off and gives a more realistic appearance.  Not sure about using various types on top of each other - the only thing you can do is a test spray on a piece of scrap material.
Derek.   :police:

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 02:42:15 pm »

Hi, I use the Plastikote range mostly which I get on the web here:

http://www.paintsprays.co.uk/catalog/plastikote-decorative-paint-c-110.html

I use their Red Oxide primer for anti fouling.

http://www.paintsprays.co.uk/catalog/primer-paints-p-222.html

Very good service.

Try to stick to one type of paint and if possible stick to one make.

It works for me.   O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 03:20:34 pm »

I have some Hycote, it is a double concentrated acrylic spray. I would not recommend mixing it with another make.

Halfords' own sprays are automotive paints and perfectly suitable for models. In most automotive ranges you should be able to get:

Grey, Red and White primers. (The Grey is a good naval shade and the Red is fine for underwater hull colour.)
Matt Black
Satin Black
Satin White
Appliance White (a medium gloss pure white as used on fridges etc.)

You can use a clearcote lacquer over the primers to protect them although many of us find that Ronseal interior polyurethane varnish is perfectly OK provided that the underlying primer is fully dry. I expect Stavros will kill me for saying this but it's always worked OK for me. Best not to use acrylic quick drying brush varnish over anything, especially underwater parts. Some people have managed to get results that way but it frequently causes problems with the finish "blooming" or peeling away.

Dicky D gets good results from Plastikote, as do others but don't use a mixture of these and Halfords - stick to one manufacturer for the spray paints.

Enamel will go on over an acrylic spray primer but it's not recommended and you may run into problems. Acrylic spray over enamel is a recipe for disaster.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 05:05:46 pm »

JBT

Check out my naval version of Envoy on the Model Slipway website gallery. Grey and Red are both Halford's own-brand primers, while the satin is Humbrol Satin Clear Coat. In my experience Platikote Satin Clear goes very yellow very quickly, and I found the spray was very coarse and tended towards over-painting.
The remaining colours are all Humbrol Enamel.

Suit yourself. Seemed to work for me.

FLJ

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 07:40:13 pm »

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

Dave, ever considered a testimonials page on your website?

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 07:51:28 pm »

Enamel will go on over an acrylic spray primer but it's not recommended and you may run into problems. Acrylic spray over enamel is a recipe for disaster.

Think its the other way around. Enamel over Acrylic is a disaster, Acrylic over dried enamel is fine. This is cos acrylic are usually have water as the carrier and enamels have a solvent.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 07:55:37 pm »

You may well be right - got me wondering now.... :embarrassed:

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 07:57:52 pm »

Play safe don't mix them.  O0

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 10:28:22 pm »

Lets put the record straight well lets try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Acrylic over Enamel technically                   NO........................ it CAN REACT in certain instances but not in some
Enamel over Acrylic,cellulose                     Yes........................BUT have seen Plasticoat react on Acrylic Happened to me >>:-(
Enamel over 2 pack                                 Yes........................But providing the paint is old
Cellulose over Enamel                               NO NO NO.............Will cause a BIG mess
Cellulose or acrylic over household paint      NO........................Don't even go there

Now I know and I can here you lot out there saying it works for me BUT it might not possibly work on others and would cause a fellow modeler so much time and money.

The BEST advice I can give anyone who is not sure about mixing and matching well DON'T it's not worth it stick to one make and one type of paint it's not worth the heartake,don't believe me then pm Tug Kenny and just ask him what happened when he did on one of his models.

If you are afraid of posting any question on painting in case you look the fool just pm me and I will try and help

Stavros

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 10:29:49 pm »

Thanks Stavros.  O0

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 10:39:06 pm »

Be careful to check though.
Halfords red lead used to be cellulose and so did a few others.
Even Humbrol has compatability issues with the spray cans and tinlets.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 09:08:30 am »

A tip from Ian Peacock which I have not used, but it must be a valid idea is to apply intermediate coats of polyurethane varnish so that everything below it is sealed in - you can then start again with any type of paint on top of the pu.

I wouldn't necessarily do it myself, but it sounds like a good idea the preserve a lot of work before carrying on with a paint job.

Ian suggests its use in painting complex insignia on scale arcraft so that you can make a seal over pervious paint.  You can then paint the detail in any type of paint you are happy with, and if something goes wrong you wipe if off with the correct solvent and try again.
andrew

nhp651

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 08:23:19 pm »

totally agree with stavros on the prognosis of the mixes of paints, and if I may will give the technicalities as to why they work and don't work.

Enamels are basically an oil based paint and "dry" by curing....i.e. the paint mix goes hard over a period of time and doesn't technically shrink. therefore if it is painted over another paint. it just dries normally.
However cellulose and acrylic paints dry by evaporation and both possess an etching agent which allows them to "attack" the surface that they are put onto, and as such make their own undercoat........fine if it's another cellulose or acrylic as thewy both are of the same compound and will not react......but if you put a cellulose onto an oil based paint, the cellulose attackes by etching the base paint, ie the oily enamel and you end up with a crinckly orange peel effect.

Stavros

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 04:54:08 pm »

A tip from Ian Peacock which I have not used, but it must be a valid idea is to apply intermediate coats of polyurethane varnish so that everything below it is sealed in - you can then start again with any type of paint on top of the pu.

I wouldn't necessarily do it myself, but it sounds like a good idea the preserve a lot of work before carrying on with a paint job.

Ian suggests its use in painting complex insignia on scale arcraft so that you can make a seal over pervious paint.  You can then paint the detail in any type of paint you are happy with, and if something goes wrong you wipe if off with the correct solvent and try again.
andrew
Pure and utter nonsense this will NOT work I ahve actually tried it hte other day AND IT DOES NOT WORK

STAVROS

BORIS

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 03:46:42 pm »

So if im using halfords car spray paints on my hull..then what varnish can i use..ps i dont want a gloss finish as i shall be rusting the boat.

andygh

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 04:26:52 pm »

Someone on here recommended this stuff, I can vouch for it also, if you hunt around you can get it cheaper

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Chestnut-Chestnut-Acrylic-Lacquer-Spray-19762.htm

sentry

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 10:17:36 pm »

Hi gents,
 is it ok to use halfords plastic primer on my grp hull as i have been told i need to put a oil based primer on first, so confused.
                                           Regards Sentry

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 06:55:55 am »

Hi Sentry, Halfords primer is fine, just give your hull a good rub down with fine grade wet and ry and rinse off with soapy water first  O0

Russ

sentry

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 12:47:58 am »

Hi Gents,
Have now sprayed hull and all  is ok but cant find anywhere thats sells ronseal satin spray varnish  or is it the brush on kind  you have to use would sooner spray if i can find some.

Sentry.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 08:06:36 am »

Ronseal is brush on  only.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 09:15:48 am »

I have sprayed unthinned (but stirred really well)  Ronseel Mattcote with a cheap Revel gun.
Was fine.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 09:21:49 am »

You did use to be able to get spray on Ronseal varinsh in Gloss, Satin and Matt (I still have a can) but brushing with a soft brush is the best bet I think.

Colin

wideawake

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 01:52:37 pm »

OK chaps I'm still confused by all this :-(    I'm spraying my Colin archer using Halford's cans, but AFAICS halford's don't do a satin clear lacquer in their range.   There seems to be conflicting advice on whether the plastikote spray can satin lacquer is compatible.    Anyone got the definitive answer?   Alternatively do I gather that the collective wisdom is to brush-apply Ronseal satincote or mattcote?    Then again has anyone tried the Chestnut spray lacquer over Halford's cellulose?

Cheers

Guy

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 02:16:04 pm »

Not sure about Pastikote but I use Krylon Matte Varnish (they do Satin and other finishes too) out of a spray can over Halfords own brand spray paints on all my submarines with no problems. They are very ameanable to touches ups and revarnishing the affect area too, if have any scrapes.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.