Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halfords spray tins (again)!  (Read 15886 times)

wideawake

Re: Halfords spray tins (again)!
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 02:59:06 pm »

Not sure about Pastikote but I use Krylon Matte Varnish (they do Satin and other finishes too) out of a spray can over Halfords own brand spray paints on all my submarines with no problems. They are very ameanable to touches ups and revarnishing the affect area too, if have any scrapes.

Thanks for that mankster.   Do you know an online supplier for the Krylon products?  Since posting this query i've also found another thread that seems to confirm that the Chestnut stuff is also OK

Cheers
Guy

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 03:16:48 pm »

Guy,  In the past I have had compatability problems with Plasticote and Halfords paints.   I (we) now use Halfords colours  and protect them with Humbrol clear matt.   No problems there.   Pete M (Knightcote)
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

wideawake

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 03:20:35 pm »

Guy,  In the past I have had compatability problems with Plasticote and Halfords paints.   I (we) now use Halfords colours  and protect them with Humbrol clear matt.   No problems there.   Pete M (Knightcote)

Hi Pete

Thanks for that.  It seems there may be a couple of know compatible options.

Cheers

Guy

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 06:44:03 pm »

Thanks for that mankster.   Do you know an online supplier for the Krylon products?  Since posting this query i've also found another thread that seems to confirm that the Chestnut stuff is also OK

Cheers
Guy

http://horsingaround.com/acatalog/LacquersVarnishes.html

tryingmybest

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 06:56:17 pm »

:-)
     Good evening all, hope you have had a fruitfull day, I am posting on behalf of Hubby (yes thats one of my many jobs)   O0
 and its also MY! job to spray his boats! hence the interest on this subject. The last boat he finsihed was the BEN AIN and we had untold trouble with the paint, I have always used "Plasticote" but have found when taking the masking tape off, it also brings chunks of the paint off (even when left few days to harden) anyway I have now tried the "holts" car range, I bought a lovely olive green, the sticker on the lid matched perfectly to the photo! so trots off home,, sets up my "spray booth" and hey presto!! {:-{ NOOOOO!!   it came out "Metalicy marine blue""  I wanted olive green ( for the Maggie M)! after I had got over the horror and shock I called hubby  {:-{.. oh dear!!! I said yes!oh dear, anyway after a nice cup of tea i trotted off to the car ass shop near us who were most helpfiul, although woudnt commit that the colours were  the actual colours I wanted as you know car colours have a code..anyway the paint they have is "Hycote" which will go on top of the "Holts" spray,and gives a lovely finish although may be a bit glossy for some, also it is double acrylic  which covers more easily in one coat....so here endeth my day the boatyard is now locked up for the night and the Maggie M is resting in dry dock until morn..... ta ta.

Temps

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 07:51:37 pm »

Ok chaps what i have used succsefully in the past all my sprays come from halfords own brand grey, for naval red oxide, for underwater line and whatever glosse's i want for top coats now for finishing all gloss coats are from halfords clear laquer BUT !!!only spray this in warm dry conditions or if you dont it will bloom and then look dull . if only for naval etc ie semigloss i use the plasticote satin straight over the top of all halfords sprays with no issues including there gloss colours giving you an excellent eggshell finish .The plasticote satin laquer i find is best sprayed in very light coats as it is a lot thicker than the gloss laquer and can easially build up on edges and corners hope this helps

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 07:53:43 pm »

Two points there I'm afraid!

One is don't leave the masking tape on while the paint goes hard otherwise you are effectively tearing the paint surface when you remove it with some on the hull and some on the tape. Remove the tape as soon as the paint begins to "go off" to get a clean line.

Secondly, mixing spray paints from different manufacturers is fraught with peril. Sometimes it is OK but all too often it isn't and you can get an "orange peel "effect or even bubbling of the surface which will make you sad and miserable! If in doubt, spray a test piece first in the same order and timing you intend to use on the model.

Colin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.