Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which TV do you have..Mine just popped its clogs!!  (Read 2078 times)

banjo

Which TV do you have..Mine just popped its clogs!!
« on: June 21, 2008, 12:22:39 am »

>>:-(
I have (had) a JVC LCD Flat Screen TV..66cm across the diagonals. I had just watched Turkey win the footy when it went all funny...Now when I go from standby to programme I can hear whirring inside, as if it is trying to wind up to do something, then it goes back to standby...   Any TV experts out there??

Failing all else whats the best replacement??

Help please...

OMK

Re: Which TV do you have..Mine just popped its clogs!!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 12:41:46 am »

"Failing all else whats the best replacement??"

A guitar and a perky woman.

Sorry, dude - can't really help you there. I've quit the TV repair scene nowadays, but you're welcome to a Sanyo 26" job if you've a mind to collect it from Taunton.

banjo

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 12:51:55 am »

;D

A guitar and a perky woman.

Oh I remember them well....At my age I can't even pluck me banjo!!!!!

PS and at one time I was a renowned plucker, and pleasant with it...

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 12:58:20 am »

Banjo, maybe the spring is broken  {-) {-). Sorry, couldn't help myself  ;). How old is the TV, is it still under warranty? I assume it's not otherwise you wouldn't be talking about replacing it. We have a 90cm Toshiba LCD which has performed faultlessly to date, and together with a High Definition set top box gives an absolutely brilliant picture. There is quite a lot of HD transmission here in Australia now, and the difference between HD and SD is very noticeable. The Toshiba came with a 5 year factory warranty, which is quite good, because many manufacturers only give 1 or 2 year guarantees.
Peter.

towboatjoe

• Full Mayhemer
  • Rollin' on the River
    • Towboat Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 02:38:13 am »

I've had trouble with every JVC component not lasting long. In my opinion you can't beat the reliability and color of a Toshiba. I've got a 37" that's been running strong for over ten years and the color and sharpness is great.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 06:27:59 am »

I usaully buy one - two year old models/technology.

When a TV is the state of the art it is silly money, but quickly the price drops. And all the money spent buys a lot of beer and DVDs.

A 42" flat screen tv is very chaep now, especially plasma. 42" sounds big, but mounted on the wall it takes up no space and you can sit back and enjoy the TV instead of leaning forward squinting.
I used to have 26" and thought it was big enough for anybody, but I can relax more with the 42".
Plasma give a better picture for low light scenes, so if you like the 'X Files' get plasma.

There is a lot of techie talk about plasma not lasting as long as LCD. For home use the differentce is marginal, both will last longer than most people would normally keep a telly for.

Don't buyt one of the big tellies with an internal projector if you see one. They should be very cheap, but they take upa  lot of floor space,a nd it is obsolete technology now other flat screen technologies are so cheap.

I would recomend getting an HD ready TV, I don't know how long it will be before you get much HD TV in UK, but if it is to be in the next 2-3 years, then you will enjoy the benefits.

Don't be afraid to buy korean or Chinese. Both very good at TVs now.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 11:31:58 am »

If it's less than a year old it should be under warranty, if it's less than two, it might be worth taking it to your local t.v. engineer for a quote, they might charge for this service (I know that round here they do...)

If it's older than three - buy a new one.
The argument over plasma / LCD is diminishing, and it depends upon your personal viewing habits, you need to go to the big stores that have ranges of sets and a good idea is to take your favourite DVD for visual comparisons (not 'Debbie does Dallas' or family / home video content - it's a public place!) as well as watching a sports type program to see if the refresh rate and  picture generation is up to speed (you get pixellated 'tails' or shadows when things move fast)

Go for features like Freeview / freesat and other inputs like s/video, vga inputs - you never know what's coming in the future.

The best advice is shop round, prices are falling all the time and it's not always necessary to go only for the known brands - check the picture quality - then when you've got an idea of what you want, use the internet for price and feature comparison. I don't advocate buying straight from the internet, I do if it's the only way.  I prefer to pay just a little more, support local business and IF I get a problem I have someone to talk to rather than some place in the back of beyond that's only available on a help line.

Happy hunting!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 12:14:20 pm »

Hi all, when I was buying new a few years ago I found that 5 year guarantees frequently have a 2 year visiting and then the last 3 years are covered by insurance.
So, I wanted Panasonic, which has proved very reliable, but I bought it (new) from a TV Rental shop, I got a good deal ( they will negotiate) they installed and set up the system free and had a visiting service for 5 years.  They even came and sorted me out when I moved house and had forgotten to download the S/W into the VCR for no charge.
Hope this may help.
regards Roy

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

I used to mend em back in the old days...... can't even find the circuit board now!!! :'(

banjo

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 11:12:23 pm »

O0
Thanks for the comments people...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 11:21:44 pm »

I'd do a bit of research first on sites like this http://www.newtv-guide.info/choose-television.php

It could be very easy at the moment to get fobbed off with a set which isn't future proof in terms of connectors and specification. I think dealers are trying to shift a lot of semi obsolescent sets just now. TV's don't get replaced very often (all being well) so you need to get the best available.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 12:10:37 am »

I was a Sony fan , but the last equipment I bought plus some for a relative  has put me off changed most to Panasonic and I am very happy with there equipment

Hs93

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 12:59:44 am »

well the TV I have is a color daewoo, non digital though, and about 10 years old.
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.