Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transporting a Yacht. Part 2  (Read 3906 times)

BreezyB

Transporting a Yacht. Part 2
« on: June 22, 2008, 12:00:20 pm »

What clever or ingenious methods do you use to transport your 36r, IOM etc from your car to the pond ??. I've seen an "L" shaped structure (Bit like a large Bookend) where the yacht sits strapped in the hull cradle but stands up on its Transom end against a foam pad while being carried , mast pointing forward. Is this method OK to use or will it strain the rigging?  :-\.  What are your ideas, what do you use?

Cheers
Barrie. O0

thorsail

Re: Transporting a Yacht. Part 2
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 09:47:49 pm »

Hi BreezyB
    I am new here so all of these posts are new to me...... I am from the midwest , USA and just started sailing a Soling 1 Meter this
summer - I can transport my boat "all up" in the back of my vehicle ( with all the seats folded down ) and the first lesson learned was
to take a 24" square piece of thin wall paneling and hot glue gun these rectangles of packing foam onto it - the idea was to keep the
hull from rocking while lying on its side so the rudder won't get bent - again . ever.This actually worked very well and with enough bits
of foam around and under the hull it doesn't move at all .(the foam I found was 6"LX3"W,some were 1"thick,some 2" )
   OK , now I am at the pond.  hmmmm.  39"boat,gear duffle bag,cradle,camp chair,fabric cooler.hats on head and I am either wearing
sandals or boots. So what I came up with is a simple lenght of 5/32" poly cord 6'6" long, tied the two ends with a square knot and I'm
set - the continuous line acts like a lifting bridle - just put the loop on each side of the keel and the ends come up on each side port
and starboard and thats where you hold the line .  Soling's are pretty shoal draft , so I can carry mine and still be 6"off the ground , the
boat is level and completely supported AND I can see where I am walking . duffle over shoulder with cradle attached , chair and cooler
in one hand and boat in the other .
   Now I just need a catchy name and a patent for that 6'6" line idea.........

Allan
Chicago
The Colonies   

Dave Buckingham

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 10:07:22 pm »

Try using some of those anti slip mats looks like rubber netting in the UK from the pound shop or better quality Lidl.

Anything laid on them will not move

very useful
Dave

windwarrior6682

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 08:54:46 pm »

I took a hard travel golf bag case, add cut foam to give my boat, mast, rudder, keel, radio and small tool boat. This means that when I travel by air it looks like i am gooing to play golf. It also means that I most remove the rudder and keel from the hull. I also take the mast off. each part has it own place in the cut foarm. I take photos this weekend and ad them to this post

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 08:17:36 am »

I take photos this weekend and ad them to this post

Yes, please do.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 08:18:43 am »

I've seen an "L" shaped structure (Bit like a large Bookend) where the yacht sits strapped in the hull cradle but stands up on its Transom end against a foam pad while being carried , mast pointing forward.

I cannot picture this in my mind.
Any photos? Or a diagram would help.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

windwarrior6682

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 09:21:53 pm »

Here is the  photo Hard golf travel Case. Using gray foam used for pack eletronic like computer, line the inside of case. Cut out section of foam for hull, keel, rudder, mast radio.

k4s

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 02:55:24 am »

Here is the  photo Hard golf travel Case. Using gray foam used for pack eletronic like computer, line the inside of case. Cut out section of foam for hull, keel, rudder, mast radio.
;)

That is a very cool case,where can they be sourced.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.