Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Faux Pas in films and movies  (Read 4953 times)

nhp651

Faux Pas in films and movies
« on: June 22, 2008, 12:42:03 pm »

I decided to watch "Cockleshell Heroes" last night on channel 5..a fim I hadn't watched in years.
Still a very good film with the good old stiff upper lip british action.
However as the commandoes were landing on the salt marshes of the french coast the cameras panned out a little  and low and behold.....there in the back ground was...............BLACKPOOL TOWER and Lytham St Annes sea front.
Now I know that the lads dis embarked from their sub during darkness but had they really got that far  by dawn?????.
They must have come accross Southport salt marshes :D {-) ;D

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Faux Pas in films and movies
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 01:27:58 pm »

It could have been authentic - the Germans could have been planning an invasion via the Fylde coast and constructed landmarks for training. ;)
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

bigfella

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 02:12:56 pm »

I love this type of thing as well as continuity discrepancies.

Zulu for instance was meant to be set in South Africa in the 1800s and yet many of the Zulu warriors had digital wrist watches (payment for being extras in the movie) they were not allowed to pay them the going union rate because of apartheid. Another one in the same movie is a vapour trail from a jet in the sky. One that I am told but have not seen yet is a can of coke lying on the ground.

Regards David

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 03:03:12 pm »

Zulu for instance was meant to be set in South Africa in the 1800s and yet many of the Zulu warriors had digital wrist watches (payment for being extras in the movie) they were not allowed to pay them the going union rate because of apartheid. Regards David

They may have been given watches David, but NOT digital ones! Zulu was made in 1964, and the first digital watch came out in 1970......  I bought one in 1971 and it cost me 6 weeks wages!!! :(

Eddy

bigfella

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 11:08:32 pm »

Zulu for instance was meant to be set in South Africa in the 1800s and yet many of the Zulu warriors had digital wrist watches (payment for being extras in the movie) they were not allowed to pay them the going union rate because of apartheid. Regards David

They may have been given watches David, but NOT digital ones! Zulu was made in 1964, and the first digital watch came out in 1970......  I bought one in 1971 and it cost me 6 weeks wages!!! :(

Eddy

Oops my faux pas, sorry I meant wrist watches. Part of the reason the producers chose wrist watches was so they could always be on set at the right time. I remember those first digital watches you could only see the time when you pressed a button as the battery ran out rather quickly and the display was red from memory.  Do you remember the craze of Pen Watches? A pen with a digital time display at the top. O0 O0

Regards David

nhp651

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 08:28:51 am »

AND THE ""Rock watches" from swatch in the mid eighties............they cost a fortune......you can pick em up on car boots now for less than a fiver??great investment as they were supposed to be!! :D

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 09:54:03 am »

I remember watching a film when in the RAF in Germany in the 60's.  It showed a Canberra bomber go in on a bomb run and the next shot was of a Meteor fighter getting away.  Everybody jeered of course as these were the aircraft we saw every day.
regards Roy

yewmount

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 07:18:18 pm »

If my memory serves me right  ??? the biggest and best faux pas was in the film "A Walk in the Sun" by Harry Brown. A very good read as it showed the American GI as he really was during WWII and not as portrayed now. It was about a platoon in Sicily/Italy and at one point they were straffed by a Luftwaffe fighter. Cut to film:
A Me. bf. 109 dives; a FW 190 strafes; an American P-38 Lightning climbs away!! ???
Cheers

yewmount

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 07:29:48 pm »

Even the modern films Hollywood churns out are sometimes so flawed. For years Hollywood North, or Vancouver has been used as a substitute for many an American metropolis and the directors have assumed that we have very little knowledge of our own geography. There was one film abut good guys and bad guys, with the police chasing this bloke all over downtown 'Seattle'/Vancouver and the next thing the bad guys are driving their car off a ferry dock in 'downtown Seattle'/which  in reality was Tswassen Ferry Terminal some 20 miles away. Hmm, come Hollywood were not Colonials anymore!   

Alastair_I

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 07:52:39 pm »

There's a John Wayne Pacific theater WWII movie, and I can't remember which one it is, but he manages to switch aircraft at least 3 times on one sortie..  take-off, landing, fight scenes and studio cockpit shots all use a different make and model of aircraft..

The Internet Movie Database is pretty good for finding the various gaffs in movies, and if you know of one not listed you can register and add it.. and the Internet Movie Car Database is interesting.. anyone know of a boat equivilent?

Al

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 07:56:47 pm »

Apparently when Ben Hur was first released, during the charriot (sp?) race, an alfa romeo car could be seen on the race track!

swordfish fairey

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 08:05:49 pm »

In the first Pirates of the Caribean film, when they are being chased by the Black Pearl and they drop the anchor to pull around quickly, you can plainly see the prop thrashing the water as the stern comes around. And what about all the camper vans in the distance while John Wayne is fighting the Mexicans in the Alamo. ::) ::)Cheers Tony

GaryM

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 11:20:01 pm »

One of my favorites is James Bond (Sean Connery) where he drives the car through an ally way and then goes up onto two wheels (RHS ones) when he comes out the other side he is up on the LHS wheels {-)

Gary :)

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 11:30:43 pm »

Have you seen Mel Gibson in 'Bird on a Wire' filmed on location in Victoria, BC as some nondescript metropolis in the midwest USA, the motorcycle chase scene in Chinatown which goes on forever, the actual alley they used is about 50 yards long, they just kept going back and forth all morning, and all the women are going, 'Oh look there goes Mel'

bobdoc

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 11:33:01 pm »

This thread delves into ancient history: "Gladiator" shows Roman Cavalry using stirrups which the Romans failed (amongst amny other things) to invent.
'Course, the film is a work of fiction

Bobdoc

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 11:39:26 pm »

In the theatre they call it 'a willing suspension of disbelief' whereas in Hollywood its referred to as ' a willingness to part with money for some rubbish', Driven by the cinema Lately?

farrow

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 10:00:45 am »

Has any one closely look at the soldiers weapons in the mass battle scenes, if you did you may have noticed Kalashinovs 47's being used. As they hired the Russian army as extras for the film.

farrow

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 10:01:55 am »

I am a "idiot" the film was Waterloo, with Christopher Plummer as Wellington.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.