Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > DC Motors (Brushed) and Speed Controllers

Is it possible to connect two motors to one speed controller

(1/4) > >>

uboatbuilder:
Has anyone done it, and can you tell me how to do it? Also can you wire two battery packs to one speed controller for longer run times. Any help will be appreciated.

Voyager:
Give more details on what motors you will be running, geared or non geared???
What batteries will you be using???

The more detail you give, the better the reply!

flag-d:
uboatbuilder: Yes.

What?  A bit more info?  Oh, OK then...

I use 4 x 500 series motors in my MTB, wired as pairs to 2 ESC's, powered by 2 gel cells (they're 6V each and I need 12V) in series.  In a year of running, I have had no problems with 2 motors from 1 ESC, just so long as the ESC can take the combined current draw of the 2 motors.  As for the batteries, I think you want to wire them in parallel for longer duration (=higher amp-hour) rather than in series for more power (= higher voltage).  There is another thread on here somewhere about batteries in parallel.  I've never needed to try it, so don't know.

Good luck.

Doc:
As long as a single ESC will supply the current draw from both motors, sure, it'll work.  Connect the motors in parallel.  If they are counterrotating, that may not be (+ to +) and (- to -), but (+ to -) and (- to +)..  Oh, don't you just love confusing answers?
 - 'Doc

Peterm:
Doc,  Couldn`t have put it better myself!   Pete M

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version