The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Lifeboats

RNLB Helen Wycherley

<< < (2/26) > >>

gribeauval:
Over the past few days I have fitted and faired the stringers needed and now have a rigid, lightweight frame. Only one frame needed a small adjustment to give the smooth lines of a Watson lifeboat hull. I have also started to turn the 'rain forest' I bought into a hull and the first planks have been fitted, only a couple of hundred left to go!!

bbdave:
How's the build going? i'm thinking of building a watson so interested in the hull planking specialy the tunnels

gribeauval:

--- Quote from: bbdave on July 28, 2008, 11:24:25 pm ---How's the build going? i'm thinking of building a watson so interested in the hull planking specialy the tunnels

--- End quote ---

Very Slowly!! Two reasons for this; 1) I have been on holiday and 2) The first layer always seems to take forever as you can only add one plank per side at a time. The top layer will be faster as the planks can be pinned to the first layer. The tunnels are planked fore and aft as this is what the cross sections show and diagonal planking in them would be almost impossible! Whilst waiting for the planking to dry I have also made the rudder which not only steers but can be raised when needed as the blade slides up and down on the square shaft.

bbdave:
What timber are you using for your planking? I've had the watson drawrings out this evening she may be moving up the to do list  ::)

gribeauval:

--- Quote from: bbdave on July 29, 2008, 11:58:23 pm ---What timber are you using for your planking? I've had the watson drawrings out this evening she may be moving up the to do list  ::)

--- End quote ---

I always use lime for the planking on my hulls that will be painted. I buy it in sheet form (usually 1/16th x 3 in x 36 in) and cut the planks as I need them ( usually 3/8th" wide). I like the way it bends both dry and wet without wanting to split and it finishes well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version