Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anybody built the Graupner Bremen Police boat??? What's it like to build???  (Read 6842 times)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer

Lookin to buy another boat, it's a choice between the Robbe Schnell Boot, or the Graupner Bremen. If anyone has built the Bremen and can advise me as to how well it fits together, and ease of assembly, pro's and con's and all that, as i dont want a project that's going to take forever. 

Any info would be much obliged.

Regards: voyager.

ambernblu

... probably not much help as I've never built any Graupner kits, but have you had a look at the Robbe 'Schuetze' which is reputed to be being released very soon - it looks nice - and its quite big too..... and its a relatively modern German vessel... just a thought  ;)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!

I have got 2 of the "old" Schutze models and ordered the new one.
The Schutze makes up into a fine seaworthy model and is a decent size too.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

ambernblu

.... thanks for that Bob, that sounds very good news - I've asked A Model World to give me a shout when it finally arrives in stock. As you say, its big and looks like a good sea boat... and you don't seem to have got bored with yours at least , so it must be good - are you building each one differently? (with you having 3 of them very soon!)

Cheers, Brian

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer

Brian,
Yes building them all differently.
The one completed now is of a proposed gunboat conversion for the Turkish Navy, but never came about.
The next is rather battered so will be the Diving Chamber vessel, and the new one as a minesweeper.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer

Just found a pic, not a very good one though.

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]
Officially a GOG.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer

Hi, the boat your holding in the picture on the left, is it a kit or scratch built? Anychance in posting a closer look at the vessel?

Regards:Voyager.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer

Haye...it looks ok from here! How does it run performance wise?

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends

just thought i would say had the very nice pleasure of meeting Shipmate60 (bob) today and his boats are something else, the Schutze's he has are nicely made and detailed,

the very large hull he has(cant remember the name of the ship, im sure he will remind me) kept drawing me in, just the size of it was impresive cant wait to see the model progress over time.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer

Blimey, so many questions.

The model in my pic is an Australian Patrol Boat HMAS Geralton, a kit produced in Australia ( APS I think, but no website ). I sold her on a while ago and she has been since sold again.

The Schutze is running on "Revel" 540 motors on 12 volts and runs quite well, my previous one had 545's and prop shop props on 6 volts

The hull in my loft is of the French Battleship "Richelieu" at 1/96 scale, about 8 feet 4 inches long.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

ambernblu

.... thanks very much for the Schuetze info and especially for the pic Bob - it looks good.

I'll certainly be interested in getting hold of one when they become available.

Cheers, Brian

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer

Well as you can see I like them!!
My first one ended up in Beale Park, yes had 4 in total.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

ambernblu

... Bob, Many thanks, I couldn't ask for a better recommendation.... but dare I ask what happened to the first one?  :o

Its a pity that your loft is a few hundred miles away too!  ;D

Cheers, Brian

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer

The first one I just rebuilt as she had a split hull and looking a bit neglected.
I tend to sell models on to fund my next build, so advertised her for sale and Richard Howard from Beale Park bought her.
But decided I liked her size and performance so got another, then one on eBay, then Robbe reproducing her, quite simple really.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

ambernblu

... Bob, my apologies... when you said the first one had ended up IN Beale Park, I literally took you at your word and thought you meant it had met upon a disaster and SUNK in Beale Park, and was currently rusting in peace in the lake's mud!!  ;D

I understand now - sorry! Cheers, Brian

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer

Brian.
Touch wood, I have never had a sinking and only seen a few!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

A Model World

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem does what it says on the tin
    • A Model World

Did somebody mention Scheutze in here. The Queen Mary was ready quicker  as regards the original question there is not a lot bad to say about the Bremen the two 600 motors suggested power it well and its a fairly easy build the only downside is the plans in German with an English book to accompany but once you get used to this its OK
Daily flogging?of the ships crew will continue until morale improves

ambernblu

... Schuetze...? Yep, ready when you are!  ;)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer

Hi voyager, yes I have built the Bremen Police Boat.  I did it as a review article for MMI magazine in the Feb. and March 1996 issues.
I used 2x Graupner Speed 600's 12 volt versions running from 12volt Nicad D cells (5 Ahr.).  All as suggested in instructions.

Performance is very good and she planes nicely.  I used a single 15 amp Electronize ESC with a simple water cooling plate bolted on the bottom.  The current consumption was 14 amps with the boat stationary in the water.  Boat ran on and off for about 40 minutes per session.  More modern batteries will give a better time.
The fire hydrant was connected in with the cooling water pick-up, with a small scoop as pick-up and a flush outlet under water.  The pumped fire hydrant water inlet was Tee'd off the tubing and it all worked very well.  The speed controller ran stone cold.

Building, fairly easy although I remember that the mast, which also folds down, needs more strengthening.
If you read my article it covers the practical side of building.  The RIB is a delight!

I did not like the single screw that holds the fore part of the cabin in place and I fitted a simple cover over this.

My experience of Graupner kits is that they are very good and have excellent building instructions.
I recommend Stablit Express as a wood to plastic glue which has good gap-filling properties.

I ran the model for a few months and then passed it back to the publishers.  It is 40 inches long and is 29 inches high and a foot wide.

My approach when reviewing a kit is, "does it do what it says on the box"?  If it does not, I say so and or offer alternative methods.  I dislike the occasional review when parts are discarded and the reviewer tells you how he made a better one on his lathe!
I was given one kit to review which was just not good enough and it did not get published in MMI, I read the MB review of it though and wondered if the guy had the same kit I had!

My last review was for converting the static J class kit Endeavour at 1/35th. scale by Amati to RC.  That was a lot of work but worth it.  If anyone wants to build that send me a PM first!
If you want any more on the Police boat send me a PM.
Regards to alll Roy

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer

Many, many thanks for the info! I'm not yet set on another project, but i'm off to Dortmund next year for the big model show, so intend getting something there. I was impressed with your description of run times, as my lake is not very local so i need to have a boat with some duration, 40 minutes sounds good to me tho;D.

Again many thanks for the insight, i will add this boat to my short list!

Regards:Voyager

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer

hey voyager and Roy CV- you  both sail at black park from time to time.... why not say hi next time you are up there !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer

I will do that! Not been at the lake for a while, everytime i try to set a day for the lake the weather turns naff, or i have to work...or someone ends up calling around >:( You most lkely know me anyway, i was the guy with the moderator, and i also have a dusseldorf. You will find me sitting under one of the trees to the right of the bench, just incase the weather turns nasty ;)

Voyager.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer

like you voyager, i dont get up to the lake as often as i like, ( especially as i work alot of weekends  >:() but  hopefully as we get towards winter i will get to go on the dry sunday mornings !

also with all the ' issues' going on in the club right now ithe lakeside is not always a pleasant place- so i sometimes sail elsewhere....

hopefully the next club meeting may sort this out !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.