Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New beginnings  (Read 5544 times)

GOGSAMWE

New beginnings
« on: August 06, 2006, 12:00:07 pm »

Okay guys, I  find myself perusing the web looking at submarines and submariners  ;)

I am rapidly reaching the completion of my current (surface vessel)  boat Venezia Vaporetto, in the Your Builds thread , and thoughts are already turning to a new project.

Gorra keep the therapy going in ya !

Anyways, as an experienced modeller,  ( some 30 models or so under my belt)the thought of trying a sub , appeals..... 

Clearly, without wishing to rush in ( fools etc) and pay a small fortune, I thought I may think about dipping my toes in...

to this end.... The Robbe Seawolf v2 seems to be a likely candidate, though, for scale looking vessels, I also like the look  of the Krick v11b and the Robbe u47 and the U2540.
( Not seen much comment about the Krick one here)

I still feel, KISS, is the way to go...... spend a little, see if one likes it.....then commit more time and money  if the sub theme really bites.

What do you think peeps ? All advice welcome, and will be added to the melting pot before a decision is made  ;D

Steve     

ambernblu

Re: New beginnings
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 12:05:28 pm »

... on that very KISS principle, a few of us on here (see appropriate threads  ;)) have gone for the plastic kit (Revell VIIc U Boat kit £40?? - or the (even cheaper??) Trumpeter kits - to taste) which are relatively cheap, and then intend adding a 'Big Dave' WTC etc (not that I know anything at all...  ;D as yet, but I'm willin' to learn!) Cheers, Brian

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 07:35:34 pm »

Leave the Krick boat alone, it's a very poor relation to the Robbe boats, have you thought about a sheerline Akula, not overly expensive, easy to put together & probably one of the most user friendly boats out their.

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

GOGSAMWE

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 08:02:54 pm »

Thanks for the reply,

Do Sheerline have a web presence ? My google search draws a blank.

thanks in advance

Steve

ambernblu

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 08:11:37 pm »

... is this it perhaps - a Dumas kit?? A bit modern for my taste, but it looks quite good.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCKR0&P=M

GOGSAMWE

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 08:46:01 pm »

Nope , I dont think Turbulent meant that, (I assume) Sheerline is the manufacturer ?

Still no trace via the web, hence my question above

;)

ambernblu

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 09:12:30 pm »

.... I was going on Turbulent's magic words... 'most user friendly'... and... 'not overly expensive' which means I sort of counted myself into the hunt too!  ;D

ambernblu

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 09:21:34 pm »

.... actually, don't look now, but Martin has one (but its in dry dock apparently!)  :-X

So where do you actually acquire these particular Sheerline models from then Martin????

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 09:25:56 am »

Found this on the web -

Sheerline (formerly manufactured by Eden Model workshop)
Available at

SheerLineh

Norwich, Norfolk, UK

Tel: 01493 751734 (UK)

ambernblu

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 09:49:00 am »

.... thanks for that.

I've just tried the telephone number, but could only leave a message - there was no reference to Sheerline on the answer m/c - just BT's bog standard reply... have to wait and see if my phone rings then...  :(

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 01:27:06 pm »

Chris is on sheerlinesubs@btinternet.com, he's is member id Sheerline on this forum.  But phone is probably your best bet. He works from home I think so its probably the same number. Always found him knowledgeable about his subs and very helpful when I need to get spares. Advertises in Marine Modelling Magazine every issue, check there in case contact details have changed.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 07:35:56 pm »

try sub tech, easy way is via Pandan, click on there sub tech site and he does a couple that have had good reveiws.
grumpy old XXX

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 09:13:37 pm »

Chris is away at the moment I think, he also looks in on here occassionally, but if you leave a message Im sure he will return your call............hers another view of an Akula to wet your appetite!!

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 11:32:37 pm »

Sheerline model submarines can be e-mailed at sheerlinesubs@btinternet.com or telephoned on 01493 754007
The worst kind of bereavement means the phone has been unattended for at least three weeks. Trying to get it back together and happy to answer any queries.

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 09:15:21 pm »

Hi Steve - well I have a Robbe Seawolf and it's great fun - it's a dynamic diver but it dives very easily when trimmed right.  I have the front dive planes set at a very slight downward angle (fixed) and this causes the sub to dive when the speed is increased - however by keeping the rear dive planes in a surface position the sub can be kept at higher speed on the surface 'till you're ready to dive it.  You seem to be very experienced with building - I have only ever built one surface craft so the sub was my second modelling attempt and I found it Ok so you will do the Seawolf easily.  There's plenty of room in the hull and a few people have easiliy converted it to a static diver - but I'm really happy with mine as it is.  The trick to a sub is keeping it level when under water - but with a bit of practice it gets easy.   Anyway good luck with your sub whatever you choose mate.  If you do decide on the Seawolf just yell if you need any help or tips as you go along.

Ian
The best cure for sea-sickness is to sit under a tree.

GOGSAMWE

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 04:42:42 pm »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply  ;) I think its highly likely , I shall indeed start with a Robbe Seawolf V2.

Seems to make sense, before thinking about committing major money to a full scale static dive model.

See if I like "the sport" before jumping fully in, methinks.  ;D

I am always willing to try something different...

I shall take you up on your kind offer of assistance should I need it.... hopefully the robbe "destructions" will follow their "usual " format..so maybe no issues.

That said you cannot beat someone elses experience and learning curve for help !

I shall keep you posted when I make a decision  ;)

Kind Regards & thanks once again

Steve

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.