Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Golden Cross  (Read 3421 times)

Bradley

Golden Cross
« on: July 11, 2008, 04:59:11 pm »

I have recently returned home after a week in Cornwall  8).  As I am in the process of building MMM's Gribbin Head (Ingleby Cross) I was surprised to see one of her sister ships, Golden Cross, in the harbour at Charlestown, near St Austell.  She looked a bit neglected but I think that some efforts are being made to restore her.  She was also named 'HMRT Golden Cross' (Her Majesty's Rescue Tug?  Perhaps someone could enlighten).  Unfortunately the owner?/skipper was not on board but I got permission from the harbourmaster to take photographs and, if anyone is interested, contact me and I will pass them on.
Derek.   :police:

Bradley

Re: Golden Head.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 10:09:02 pm »

Sorry, folks.  Seem to be having too many 'senior moments' these days. :embarrassed:  This item should have been entitled 'GOLDEN CROSS'.  She is the sister ship of 'Ingleby Cross'/'Gribbin Head' as produced in model form by MMM.

Heading modified.

barryfoote

Re: Golden Cross
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 08:08:23 am »

Derek,

I may be wrong here but I have nort seen any photos, on the forum, of your progress with Gribben Head???? I really must insist that you post some. Consider it a lawful order... O0 :police:

Bradley

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 08:53:58 pm »

Aye, Aye, Skipper - can't disobey a lawful order  O0.  I will get round to taking some photos shortly and do a little update but, I have to say, that the build is progressing rather slowly at the moment  :embarrassed:.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 10:55:26 pm »

Derek has been having some posting problems so I have submitted this on his behalf - Colin

Here goes (and obeying lawful orders, Barry) with an update of my MMM Gribbin Head/Ingleby Cross build.  The photos show the progress to date with timber rails set up for the rudder servo and battery/radio/ESP.  I make these up by cutting the appropriate size piece of ply and screwing it to the rails which I have cut to length.  I then use a belt/disc sander to gradually sand the rails down to a shape which is a fairly close fit to the hull interior.  I then tack them in place with 2 part epoxy and, the following day, unscrew the ply and finish off the installation with P38, which holds the rails securely in place.  The only thing you have to be careful of is not to accidently glue the ply to the rails as it may be necessary to remove the ply sheet to install more ballast underneath, if required.  I have decided to fit a kort nozzle rather than the standard rudder and the support/bearing for that is also fixed with P38.  I know the full size tug did not have a kort nozzle but I am sure it will make the model much more manoeuvrable.  The deck support consists of strips of styrene (courtesy of Metcalf Mouldings  O0).  The first strips are clamped in place and then glued with cyano.  The next strips are clamped over these and fixed with Plastic Weld.  To make the deck I cut a template out of cardboard and used this to cut the deck to shape from lite-ply.  I cut the ply deck in half along the centre-line and then sanded the outer edges away until the centres butted closely together and then joined the two halves with lite-ply strips underneath.  These joins can, eventually, be filled to hide them.  I followed MMM's instructions regarding deck openings and now I wish I had not done this as, having seen the full size Golden Cross, there are obvious joints in the after deck which are not hidden in any way and it looked as though they may have been removeable to get at the prop shaft, etc.  I may well modify the model deck to be the same.  I have made a start on the deckhouses out of styrene, mainly because I think that it is easier to get a good painted finish than with ply.  Again I am not adhering strictly to MMM's instructions and modifying as I go along.
As I have to do my spraying outside I am waiting (with fingers crossed) for a fine calm day so that I can have a go with Mr Halfords paint cans - I think that this is going to involve a fair amount of work as, I am sad to say, the hull moulding requires a fair amount of fettling (that's being polite).  ???
Progress does not seem to be very quick at the moment but we are getting there, slowly.
I would not profess this to be a 'Masterbuild' - just my way of doing things.
Derek.    :police:

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 07:55:16 am »

Give that man a mention in Divisional Orders...Great work. It may be slow but very methodical Derek. Keep them coming when you get the chance,

Barry  :police:

Bradley

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 01:58:47 pm »

Next stage completed.  Hull has been painted all over with Halfords red primer and is propped up (inverted) on the kitchen table for the waterline to be marked in my usual way with a pencil attached to an engineer's scriber.  The hull was ten masked with Tamiya narrow masking tape, followed by a slightly wider one and finally with ordinary masking tape and pages from a magazine to cover all of the hull that I did not want to be black.  The final photo shows painting completed and awaiting the moment of truth when the masking tape is removed.  You will notice in one of the photos that I am using a Halfords' handle on the paint can but I subsequently realised that this was causing problems in that it was deflecting the spray down wards, filling the neck of the can with paint and then dripping all over :(, fortunately none of the drips going where they weren't wanted.  This was a shame as the handle was easier than single finger pressure on the spray head of the can - if you come across them, all I can say is, don't use 'em.

Bradley

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 02:31:24 pm »

Yippee   ;D ;D ;D.  I think one could say that one is quite happy with this.   O0 O0

barryfoote

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 03:34:48 pm »

Good job that man....looks great to me Derek..great fun all this is it not??

Barry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.