Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Water entry into Aziz  (Read 2794 times)

ianb

• Full Mayhemer
Water entry into Aziz
« on: June 26, 2008, 12:29:45 pm »

Water was leaking into my Aziz every time I sailed her, a problem which others seem to share.

I put a bead of white silicone grease all around the rear hatch flange and pushed the hatch down into it all the way around. An old cloth cleaned up the squeeze-out completely. Sailed for an hour, all tight turns and full speed ahead. Took her out, lifted off the rear hatch, and......perfectly dry!!! The rear deck upper surface was quite wet from water washing across it but nothing had entered the hull due to the white silicone grease.

Maybe not an original solution, I don't know, but it worked for me.

Cheers

Ian

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Water entry into Aziz
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 03:01:28 pm »

I have done a similar thing with the aft hatch on my Slipway's Envoy.  It can still be opened up easily enough and, as long as you arrage your components to require minimum attention, such as remote leads to charge batteries etc, then it should be quite rare that you need to open it anyway.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 04:03:31 pm »

Thats a great solution to stop water ingress ,i have the same problem on Brakengarth but wanted to keep the hatch open for access so i fitted a pump (the type used to deliver fuel to model planes etc) ,i put it on a seperate chanel and with a flick of the switch any water down below is pumped out via twin hose and out the side .
As she dipp's her stern (low freeboard) she gets plenty of water on deck and i did think about having a rotating thingy pump fitted (like used for tranfering blood etc)in her activated by sensor to simulate engine cooling.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Wiggy

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 04:40:04 pm »

Hi Daz,
Guess you mean a 'Peristaltic' type of pump so that it sends it out in short burst rather than a stream. O0

Cheers,

Paul.

Reade Models

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 04:54:23 pm »

I've seen this problem many times on the Model Slipway Aziz.  Bow wave water is shipped inboard via the 'V' notches (are they bollard ports?) in the port and starboard gunwales aft of the superstructure at a certain speed, flooding the after deck.

One good solution I saw was to bridge the 'V' notches with clear plastic sheet.  This solution isn't noticeable when the model is sailing, and prevents water getting on the deck in the first place.  Sealing the hatch flange with silicone grease is a good second line of defence against water ingress.

Malc

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 12:53:42 am »

thats the things Paul ,even if i could remember what they are called ill be damned if i could spell them :) , yeh i was thinking of connecting one to a rotary switch so the pump was on momentary or a timed circut to give a pulsed action.
But then again sort out the leak and then decide what to do with the water.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

dms toucan

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 09:15:20 am »

Hi
On my tugs I use a self bailing units that I bought from Action electronics  a fews years ago, its based on a sensor that detects water in the
boat and starts a pump that keeps pumping till the water has gone then switches off until needed again,
Martin   

Garabaldy

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 12:11:58 am »

ive just completed building the hatch on my wimpey seahunter which is a similar style ship to the aziz with the low freeboard.  my hatch is big - 170mm wide by about 400mm long.  I made up 6mm deep channel out of styrene which is glued on the underside of the deck all round the hatch hole.  I glued a 5mm come all round the outer edge of the hatch which slots neatly into the channel groove to create a seal.  to further imrpve the seal i intend on putting silicone grease all round the groove.  I gave the hatch a leak test tonigh by pouring water over the deck and then i tried forcing the water through the gaps by brushing it over the deck repeatedly. not a drop came through.  im sure ive seen pictures of a similar solution to this before but i cant remember where ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.