Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery Problem  (Read 1993 times)

barryfoote

Battery Problem
« on: June 28, 2008, 12:30:47 pm »

Nothing to do with boats but one for you battery and electronics experts out there..

I have a Phillips HQ 9190 Smart touch electric razor. It is about 18 months old and the battery will not retain its charge rendering the thing almost useless. There are no Phillips repair outlets near me. I would like to replace the battery myself but am not sure how to go about it or even if it is possible. Any advise would be most welcome, but make it quick as Mrs Footski does not like beards :-\ :-\

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Battery Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 02:03:50 pm »

Barry

Take a look at this site - or at least the one dealing with razors. They sell batteries for phillips or did. I replaced them in a previous one of mine. Not too difficult for a modeller O0

Barrie

http://www.saversuk.com/

PS I find the navigation on this site a bit weird - but you can get to Shaver Spares if you keep trying :)

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 02:28:35 pm »

Thanks Barriew.

Before I order I am going to see if I can get into the machine...i will let you know.

Barry

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 02:30:09 pm »

you may find model power have the size you want when you open and at a higer rate.

peter

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 02:49:56 pm »

Getting into the machine and, more pertinently, putting it back together again could be the most awkward bit. Razors tend to snap together and when you manage to unsnap them it's not always clear where all the bits go and in what order when you come to reassemble them. (And that's assuming you manage to track down all the bits from the far corners of the room....)

As for the battery, I wouldn't mind betting it's a NiCad. They never last all that long in razors- I think it's to encourage you to buy a new one.

Do let us know how you get on though. As HS93 says, if you can get into the thing you should be able to upgrade the battery. Make sure you keep the voltage the same though - you wouldn't want to lose your nose and ears.  ;)

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 04:26:46 pm »

Right Guys I got into it by simply removing 2 screws followed by three more on the inside and there was the battery starring at me..It was soldered at both poles so had to break the connection. Should be no trouble to re solder a new one in place....This Razor is washable and the seals appear to be of a very high quality, so apart from the c**p battery with no identifiable markings, I am impressed with it.

.....The only problem is getting a UK company to post one abroad, so will get one sent to my brothers in England and wait for him to pop over in September......In the mean time.....Mrs Footski is going to have to learn to like beards!!!!!I think not.....

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 09:45:33 am »

If you are going to order a battery from the site I gave you, you might want to order new cutters as well. If your battery has died, then your cutters have as well O0 - you'll be surprised at the difference it makes.

The latest Phillips have NiMh batteries, but am not sure when they changed from NiCd to NiMh.

Barrie

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 10:18:24 am »

I've had the same problems and I agree that it's just a way of making you buy a new shaver. However Boots were giving a two-year warranty with their own shavers and with Braun. I took one of each back and showed that they wouldn't even work when plugged in. Both were replaced without question with new two-year guarantees, but I don't think my local Boots wants to sell me another one!  :)

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.