Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Super Glue  (Read 6050 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
Re: Super Glue
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 07:19:33 am »

Hi all

Cheers lads for your input to this thread . I am a lot wiser regards superglue now.

martin  :D

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 07:05:48 pm »

Dear Martin,

While the 'old' s.glue does work very well on flags per my prev. posts on this Topic, I have had an idea with Humbrol Matt lacquer (in spray tins), and am going to experiment. Will obviously advise when have chance to do. My thinking on this is that colours can run very slightly, so it's important with 'old' s.glue to rub over very lightly (one way only), with a light clean/dry cloth. I have a feeling that the lacquer is going to be better.

Regards, Bernard

GaryM

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 11:23:24 pm »

If putting in the fridge - put it into a sealed container - not sure of the H & S regs but, you don't want your fresh cream cake tasting of super glue. O0

regards
Gary

barryfoote

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 07:59:44 am »

Dear Martin,

While the 'old' s.glue does work very well on flags per my prev. posts on this Topic, I have had an idea with Humbrol Matt lacquer (in spray tins), and am going to experiment. Will obviously advise when have chance to do. My thinking on this is that colours can run very slightly, so it's important with 'old' s.glue to rub over very lightly (one way only), with a light clean/dry cloth. I have a feeling that the lacquer is going to be better.

Regards, Bernard

Bernard,

Have you tried soaking your flags in a strong solution of sugar and water. You can then position them as you like and when dry they remain in shape and can have the edges trimmed without fraying...I t really works and ensures you don't stick to the flag....

Barry

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 07:19:02 pm »

Dear All,

Having now had enough time to prove my thoughts, please disregard everything that I said about using superglue for treating BECC or other material flags.

The easiest solution of all is quite simply use Humbrol Matt spray lacquer - their own spray tins (or use your modellers spray gun with a similar solution). Lightly wet with spray in a warm environment, then allow to dry well for a day or so. Faultless, works every time, and your flag is sealed for good, it is water proofed, and you can adjust the flag to how you want it to look on your vessel. 

Regards, Bernard

barryfoote

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 07:46:03 pm »

A cracking idea Bernard. Must give it a try..

andygh

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 08:55:29 pm »

I just nick the missus fraycheck :-\

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2008, 07:40:21 pm »

Dear Footski,

It's impossible that I am the only one to come up with treating flags in this way, others I am sure must have done this before me (and still doing it), so I am only 're-inventing the wheel' so to speak!

The basic principal of use is also very easy. Leave the flag on the support paper it comes on (BECC presentation), carefully pull back the flag together with the sticky bit so it stands upright without flopping back. Once this is done all is ready for spraying. Lightly wet both sides with the spray varnish. During the drying stage, turn upside down so the flag hangs down so that it touches nothing.

Please bear in mind that I am using Humbrol spray tins (Matt varnish), so, if anyone is mixing for application via their own spray guns (rather than buying the prepared spray tins), I should imagine that the dilution will be much the same as if one was diluting paint for spraying. The drying time stated on the prepared spray tins says 15mins, and this is true, as I have treated my Belfast with same (in direct sun), and it does go off very quickly. However, after treating the flags, and giving them about 1/2 an hour initial drying time, I put them in the airing cupboard over night, and they are 100% and ready for use. If sprayed outside in direct hot sun, and 'hung' as prev. mentioned, the flags can be ready within the hour.

Please spread this info. about, as it saves lot's of time and gives excellent results.

Regards, Bernard

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008, 08:44:48 pm »

Bernard,
I have used Ronseal mattcote, does exactly what it says on the tin!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

barryfoote

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 08:19:18 am »

Bernard,

I will give it a go on the flag for my Lady T and let you know the outcome..

Barry

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 08:21:31 pm »

Dear Bob,

I only beg to differ in this in that a modellers varnish is slightly gentler than a domestic/commercial varnish - it's not as 'heavy'?... unless much more diluted than the modellers varnish? My experience is that - per a prev. Topic I started re wood treatment - domestic/commercial stain/finish/varnish is certainly applicable re wood treatment, but, with fabric it might not be so applicable... it has certainly proved 'heavy' to me anyway - but served it's purpose re wood anyway.

Flexibility - and finish - on drying is all important, and I can only state that the Humbrol spray tin Matt varnish for flags gives exactly that. No, I don't have shares in Humbrol! :)

Regards, Bernard

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 08:43:40 pm »

Dear Seaspray - Martin,

Who would have thought that your initial question would have resulted in 700 + look-in's! Good for you O0

Regards, Bernard

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2008, 07:30:44 pm »

Back to the subject of superglue gel, how much "volume" does it lose when it dries - i.e does a blob remain a blob once it's dried, or does it flatten out, the same way Contacta-type styrene glue does?
I'm wondering whether it might be useful for gluing photo-etched brass parts in place (on smaller-scale static display models). Ordinary liquid superglue, even the thicker varieties, tends to be very hard to apply precisely for this as it  runs + pools everywhere you don't want it to, and doesn't have much "stickiness" to hold parts in place before the glue has dried fully.

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2008, 08:39:03 pm »

All cyanoacrylates are classed as non shrinking when they set, there is a minute shrinkage due to the change in gap between the molecular chains, but you can not measure it/see it in use, its less than .001% , i cant remember the exact figure as we just list them as non shrinking on our data sheets , if you soak cyano in accelerator spray (not a normal spray of kicker, it needs loads of it! ), as it sets it may shrink slightly as the ca sets in solution, then drys out giving slight (very slight) shrinkage

the adhesive stays the same size/shape as when you apply it, obviously with a non gel it will flow out to either a thin layer or a rounded drop dependent on the thickness of the grade you are using, and with a gel it will retain its shape within reason if it is a pointy lump, it will set that way with no flow or shrinkage

Adhesives such as polystyrene cements, balsa cements etc, are solutions of polymer/s in solvent/s , when dissolved the polymers swell, giving shrinkage , additives are used to minimise the shrinkage to give a lower strength to the shrinkage to help prevent/reduce warping due to the forces applied to the bonded areas

Cyanoacrylates ( all instant type adhesives ) contain no solvent , they are (dependant on grade) 80-99.5% reactive monomer and 0-20% polymer (perspex) with trace additives for various adhesion properties and acceleration on dry or inactive surfaces , drying by chemical reaction not evaporation, so no shrinkage

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.