Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tanks, full size  (Read 7424 times)

swordfish fairey

Tanks, full size
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:27:23 pm »

Here is another passion of mine, full size tanks, just spent a very enjoyable day at Bovington yesterday at the Tank Fest. Great to see some of the old museum exhibits strutting their stuff around the arena, including the Tiger, what a beast!! All in all a very good day out, there were even a couple of stalls selling model boats, what more could you ask for? O0 O0 O0......Smudge

swordfish fairey

Re: Tanks, full size
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 09:32:48 pm »

A few more to whet your appetite...... O0

swordfish fairey

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 09:39:59 pm »

And there's more...Note the Chieftain in Berlin urban camouflage ::)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:47:38 pm »

thanks for sharing those with us Smudge.
      Impressive and terrifying at the same time!
                                :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

hanna

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 02:44:14 am »

wow brings back memories.....

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 07:41:02 pm »

that a tiger or a king tiger?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 07:51:29 pm »

It is a Tiger tank and as far as I know it is the only operational Tiger in the world.

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 08:34:47 pm »

the reason I asked, I thaught bovington were also restoring to full running order a King Tiger.

even so, its nice to see the Tiger on the move again.  fitting name for such a formidable tank. 

Its also a credit to Bovington Tank Museum that they keep the tanks in a running condition, rather than have them sitting as static exibits.

swordfish fairey

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 09:37:06 pm »

Spot on Mark, it is a Tiger and it is the only operating example in the world. I have not heard of the King Tiger being restored to operation, if true,it would be one heck of a job as I think they have had enough problems with the Tiger. What you say about them keeping as many working tanks as possible is spot on too Mark, and I would urge anyone who is the area to stop off and have an interesting day at the Tank Museum. They now operate a pay for one entry then get in free for a whole year routine. No I don't have shares in the place. I had to pass Bovington last Wednesday and guess what was doing to rounds on the road course they have?? see pictures.....cheers.........Smudge

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 01:28:24 am »

Dazzler

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 06:31:20 pm »

Nice pics fella,i'll have to post some of mine when I get them uploaded! O0

Eric65

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 07:40:22 pm »

Fantastic photos, I especially love the Tiger!

I understand that some enthusiasts are working on a Panther, trying to get it running, hope they make it!

swordfish fairey

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 09:55:28 pm »

Cheers Dazzler, look forward to seeing some more of the heavy stuff on here. Cheers too Eric65, if they get a Panther up and running I will be one of the first in line, I think it is better than the Tiger........... O0...........Smudge

Eric65

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 11:21:09 pm »

I agree that the Panther was the looking tank, and better tank all round, being just as well armoured with the sloping plates, faster and just as deadly with it's long 75mm cannon.

The Tiger in the photos....it is a very early mark Tiger, was it the one captured by us in Tunisia in '42 after it broke down, do you know?

swordfish fairey

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 10:23:45 am »

Hello again mate, yes I totally agree with you about the Panther a far better piece of kit. The Tiger is the one captured in Africa, when it is on display inside the museum you can get up close and see some of the damage it received in that campaign. I am sure I have some photo's of it in there, i will see if I can sort em out.........cheers ;)....Smudge

Dazzler

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 11:05:59 am »

Will look forward to seeing those pics Smudge! O0

swordfish fairey

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 08:42:09 pm »

These are all I could find at the moment..... :(....Smudge

Eric65

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 10:42:06 pm »

Thanks Smudge! :)

I have got to go down to Bovington one day.

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 03:23:24 pm »

Thanks Guys, that bought back some wonderful memories I spent a lot of time just down the road at Lulworth Cove (armored corp gunnery school). We always managed a day every fortnight or so popping up to Bovey for a cabbie on what ever was going. There really is nothing quite like taking armour cross country `at a gallop` of course.

Yours Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

Nordsee

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 11:28:39 am »

Just a thought for you guys, if you want to see lots of Armour close up and talk to the crews, try going to the" War and Peace Show" at the Hop Farm in Paddock Wood, Kent. The show runs for a week, yes!A week! It is sometime in July every year, at the end of the month I believe. got just about everything there. they had over 5,000, Vehicles last year. worth a visit, any day!There are Driving Displays and you can talk to the people that own Vehicles as well.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 01:48:10 pm »

Up in the Sussex countryside near Heathfield is a guy who has a roadworthy tank of some sort, haven't a clue what it is, but it don't half make you jump when he goes off down to the pub in it...which he does quite frequently. He also has a tank that rescues tanks...does that make sense? It has all the towing hooks and stuff all over it.
He has several ex military vehicles scattered about on his farm, including a Thorneycroft tank transporter, an armoured car of some sort, and the best part of an aircraft laying about.

There used to be a tank along Eastbourne seafront on display, it was there for years, a Chieftain, I think it was...my brother was responsible for delivering it when it arrived. That made for some interesting reversing with a low loader...

And finally...'er that used to be indoors was in the Army in her youth, she used to drive tanks of some sort.

Nordsee

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 01:26:42 pm »

Up in the Sussex countryside near Heathfield is a guy who has a roadworthy tank of some sort, haven't a clue what it is, but it don't half make you jump when he goes off down to the pub in it...which he does quite frequently. He also has a tank that rescues tanks...does that make sense? It has all the towing hooks and stuff all over it.
He has several ex military vehicles scattered about on his farm, including a Thorneycroft tank transporter, an armoured car of some sort, and the best part of an aircraft laying about.

There used to be a tank along Eastbourne seafront on display, it was there for years, a Chieftain, I think it was...my brother was responsible for delivering it when it arrived. That made for some interesting reversing with a low loader...

And finally...'er that used to be indoors was in the Army in her youth, she used to drive tanks of some sort.
That guy with the Tank inhis garden, wouldn't be named Rex Cadman I suppose?

Patrick Henry

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 10:18:03 pm »

I wouldn't know to be honest...I'll ask around and find out.

Down below

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 06:13:20 pm »

These are all I could find at the moment..... :(....Smudge
Saw this on TV the other night and from the same people that did the Bismarck series

http://www.ww2tigertank.com/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.