Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship's Binnacle for the MILFORD STAR  (Read 2601 times)

CERES

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
Ship's Binnacle for the MILFORD STAR
« on: July 02, 2008, 07:11:37 pm »

:) :)Hi, I am back with another question.

Is there anyone in the Forum that has or is building the Caldercraft "Milford Star" as I am in need of some correct info on the binnacle and helm build.
To be correct do you fit the Binnacle to the left or right of the helm and where do you fit the Telegraph. : :-\
Many thanks CERES.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Ship's Binnacle for the MILFORD STAR
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 04:36:32 pm »

Hi Bernard I am just about to start the Milford Star. I cant help with the binnacle problem I' m afraid but I was wondering if you were going to put your build on the forum as I dont really know a lot about trawlers and with all these metal fittings I think I might need some help myself as the instructions are a bit vague. They dont even say to trim the top of the hull, but looking at the drawing I assume I have to. :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 07:18:11 pm »

hi, ceres,
on that era of steam trawler the binnacle usually was wheelhouse front, center.
 the ships wheel was usually against the rear wall, with pedestal to the rear and the wheel in front of it.
the helmsman then stood with his back to the wheel facing front to view both binnacle and throughthe wheelhouse window and steered from the side of the wheel using the smaller of the twin wheels..
there were exceptions but this was the norm in steam trawlers. also the ships wheel had ,normally at that age of ship, a smaller wheel attached to the front of the larger wheel which was used when the hydraulic steering was working. the large wheel of the set was for manual power.
hope this helps .neil.

KEMO

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 07:57:26 pm »

Hiya Richard,
I have just been given a kit of the Milford Star by someone who had started but was unable to carry on as he had to go into a care home. He had painted the hull which was done with gloss paint so I have stripped all of that off, and the decks had been fitted which I also removed, as he had not trimmed the top of the hull, so yes you will have to do that, I have seen a couple of models of this kit where that has not been done and it does'nt look right, I also removed the scupper covers which he had fitted. I am going to be replacing all of the plywood parts with styrene as I prefer to work with that, and also make my own decks instead of using the printed ones, I may even replace the white metal stanchions with brass ones. I have followed the camber of the foc'sle deck onto my deck beams as the kit's deck is not cambered, find attached a pic of progress so far, I hope to finnish the capping rails this weekend.

Keith.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 08:05:28 pm »

Hi Keith glad to see I'm not the only one doing this kit. I hope you are going to put a build on the forum so when I get stuck I can see what you have done.

I should be starting mine next week, hopefully. :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.