Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam oil  (Read 12336 times)

Bernhard

Steam oil
« on: July 03, 2008, 10:24:59 am »

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Steam oil
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:58:30 pm »

Interesting. Thanks.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 03:55:15 pm »

That should put a few myths to rest!!

Thanks Bernard
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 04:15:38 pm »

That may be his view , but when He put in paragraphs like this

""More ominously, chain saw oil is often "the dregs", or what is left at the bottom of storage tanks, trucks, tankers, and pipelines after everything else has been taken off and typically receives no further processing and may contain impurities and suspended solids (also known as “grit”). ""

You start wondering about the rest , for the price of steam oil I will carry on buying mine from my normal source. it's cheaper in the long run, and as someone said in a post the other day "steam engines will out last most of us if looked after,"

Hs93

Bernhard

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 04:28:32 pm »

HI,,,,,,,,,,I NORMAL DID BAY 1 LITTER STEAM OIL FROM MACCMODELS,,,,,,,BOT THEY DONT REPLAY ,,,SO I DID TRY TO CALL SHELL...FOR STEAM OIL 460...BOT I CANT GET HERE IN ´DENMARK. WHERE DO YOU BAY YOUR OIL FROM

REGARDS BERNHARD

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 04:44:01 pm »

Hi I use Jerry he is ex Cheddar a nice chap . its good stuff. Ill send you his email so you can go direct to him , he only takes a day or two and is always getting in bits and pieces of interest.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Clevedon-Steam

Hs93

Bernhard

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 05:41:38 pm »

Great Many +++Thanks...........i have just ordred a valve and steam oil................

Bernhard

hanna

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 02:38:38 am »

I don't know for how long any one on here has had the privilege of having to use steam oil, personly mine goes back 25 years.
i will say one thing. PLEASE anyone who runs any form of engine that is powered by steam, it don't matter how big or small only ever use the proper stuff.

the majority of you will use a thin grade due to the size of the engine in the boat, in my early days my most hated job was decanting steam oil into bottles, light was easy nice and thin the thick stuff for the traction engines (full size) was like black treacle and stuck to just about everything and everything to me.

anyway to the gentleman who went to maccmodels a as far as i am aware theirs is 1000 grade you will find this a bit to thick relay for the small engines, OK in something like a 3.5" gauge loco but not in anything the size of a Stuart turner S10 or smaller, also 1000 is mainly intended for super heated steam this is what we use to call a medium oil, you need an oil that is meant for saturated steam only and low pressure you need the oil to emulsify easily and flow easily through the somewhat small bore piping then when entering the cylinder to be thin enough to penetrate between the cylinder bore and piston, if it don't the piston is simply acting like a wiper cleaning the oil deposit of the sides before being chucked out the exhaust.
sorry about all this but been there done it worn the t shirt and still cant get the oil out. mainly due to being legless in the coal bunker of traction engine or loco and being used as the proverbial oily rag.

anyway as an apology if you struggle to get light steam oil or should i say CST grade if enough of you let me know i will pull a few strings and get my hands on drum and sort it out from there.

Chris

ooby

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 05:18:09 am »

Here's another read on steam oil.

www.discoverlivesteam.com/magazine/76.html

Bernhard

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 08:34:09 am »

tytyGreat link thanks...............yes it is 1000 wery heavy it is,,,,,,,,,,i will try this,,,,,,,,, lucas heavy duty stabilizer oil
i have read about it here
regards Bernhard                              http://archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=29566

Tankerman

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 04:48:34 pm »

Try this supplier for good quality steam oil;    www.hallettoil.co.uk

The Gauge 1 railway people use the 460 grade oil in their locomotives.

Happy steaming, Chris

mogogear

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 12:29:20 am »

This may or may not be common knowledge here on this forum but Green Velvet steam oil( with Tallow) is some great stuff!

It is not cheap and it is not sold anywhere but from their website... so the  UK may be cost prohibitive- but many live steamers I knock around with swear by it!! It is made in the US...and by "old school" steamers!

http://www.steamenginelube.com/

cheers

oiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 02:19:21 am »

We used 460 at the RR club for G scale and 7 1/2 gauge.

Question I have what is the best oil for lubing the other parts on our engines?  :-\

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 09:23:00 am »

Hi Oiler

I lub all the all the other parts of my high speed marine steam plants with Hypoy 90 gear oil, I have never had any parts wear out, and one of my engines I have been using regularly for 30 years.
Steamed up all the time

HelgeBe

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 10:02:13 pm »

Hello all, and thanks for interesting links and information.

I am a lucky owner of a Cheddar Proteus steam plant. As I also have a live steam loco I have obtained some steam oil from Roundhouse-eng.com. On their web site they describe this oil as "Compounded Bearing Oil 220". I guess this means ISO220. When using this in the Proteus I have the feelling that I quickly runs out of oil because after 5-10 min. or so of running I have to shock start the engine by giving almost full throttle + moving a bit on the reversing handle.

Does this mean that the oil I am using is to thin and that I should rather get hand on some ISO460 grade oil?

Regards
HelgeBe

Proteus

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 11:08:41 pm »

as can be seen by the name I run one as well as a few other's as far as I know you need an oil that is water soluble and i think some steam oils are that, I like a few people I know who run steam use oil from eather Polly eng or from the chap on ebay http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Clevedon-Steam  Gerry Watson .. I get a good run time maybee the oil you are using is breaking down , I have been running a Proteus from the first year they came out and one of mine had the original glued in seals that they recalled. and the second one has had about ten years use , if your engine is partly seizing you are using the wrong oil and are damaging it and at the price of a bottle of the right stuff abut £4 and it will last a year easy with a lot of running compared to a £1000 plant when new I cannot see why you would worry about getting cheaper or guessing at the oil.
Proteus

Proteus

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 03:08:22 am »

Hi Just been on the Round house site and got this.

What was needed in this case was an oil that would be picked up and carried by the (relatively) low pressure wet steam, then travel through all the small diameter piping, through the high temperature of the superheater (without being carbonised), and arrive in the correct proportion in the cylinders where it cools again before doing its job.
All of this pointed to a medium weight oil so that it would pick up and pass quickly along the narrow pipes and one with a low 'solids' content so that carbonisation in the superheater was kept to a minimum. The 'solids' reffered to, are additives such as tallow and other fats, which are used as they are a good lubricator in wet conditions.
To deliver the correct amount of 220 weight oil, the feed hole in the lubricator had to be reduced in size as the now thinner oil picked up and flowed far more freely.

As you can see they have reduced the size of the hole in there lubricator  they also use thin tube and your engin doesent  and only run up to 40 psi where as you can run up to 80-90  psi so the oil is totally unsuitable for the engine

Proteus

HelgeBe

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 09:45:57 pm »

Thanks Proteus.

I did not know there was a difference between steam oil and steam oil until i discovered this thread. I will order some new oil from Polly Engineering.

HelgeBe

Flyerjeff

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 12:08:50 am »

This I have used with good results.

http://www.pmresearchinc.com/store/home.php?cat=13

tony23

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 10:51:47 am »

Just seen this thread and thought I would give some advise, I run Gauge1 and 5" locos as well as playing with boats I would highly recommend only SAE 460 Steam oil in our engines reason being the pipes are so small that it what I only use for Gauge1.

For my 5" loco's I use SAE1000 this is a lot thicker but of course the pipes are also bigger I also oil all the motions with this as well, here are some links who sell these oils.
http://www.blackgates.co.uk/
http://shop.maidstone-engineering.co.uk/
http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/
http://www.modelmakingsupplies.co.uk/
http://www.ajreeves.com/

Hallettoil

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 06:32:14 pm »

Try this supplier for good quality steam oil;    www.hallettoil.co.uk

The Gauge 1 railway people use the 460 grade oil in their locomotives.

Happy steaming, Chris

Hi Chris

I've just joined MB Mayhem...because I'm into model boats...and I see my name!!!!  above.. although I have sold the business.....Many thanks.

If anyone is reading this and has issues with ANY oils and would like advice, I would be pleased to help providing the grey cells are kickstarted first!!

Best regards

Richard Hallett

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 10:58:38 am »

I buy locally (in New Zealand) a product in a can labbelled "Morris Steam Oil 680" which I have always believed came from the U K. It seems the ideal weight as I get oil in the exhaust oil trap which shows oil is coming through the engine but it still takes at least a 30 minute run to empty my displacement lubricator. The supplier imports Morris oils for vintage cars and similar oddball applications. Tomorrow I will have a look at the can and see where it is made and do another post. Cheers, Ian.

Hallettoil

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 02:17:42 pm »

I buy locally (in New Zealand) a product in a can labbelled "Morris Steam Oil 680" which I have always believed came from the U K. It seems the ideal weight as I get oil in the exhaust oil trap which shows oil is coming through the engine but it still takes at least a 30 minute run to empty my displacement lubricator. The supplier imports Morris oils for vintage cars and similar oddball applications. Tomorrow I will have a look at the can and see where it is made and do another post. Cheers, Ian.

Hello Ian

Morris Oils are manufactured just up the road from me in Shrewsbury.... I know them well......

One question I ask....you say your lubricator takes at least 30 minutes to empty as if it should have been emptied long before and I suspect you see it as a problem?

Let me know why and what equipment you are running

Thanks

Richard

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 09:48:46 am »

Richard, so far I have run five different steam boats ranging from a little single to a Saito V4 to a large high speed single to the Alan Rayman design. In all of them I run the Morriss oil and am more than happy with it. I rely on a show of oil in the separator as an indication that the engine is getting lubricated and the fact that it takes at least 30 minutes to use all the oil as an indication that it is not over oiling. One of the lubricators is a fixed jet one, the others are adjustable. It would take a lot of persuading before I would change to any other oil now. Cheers, Ian.

Hallettoil

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 11:52:56 am »

Richard, so far I have run five different steam boats ranging from a little single to a Saito V4 to a large high speed single to the Alan Rayman design. In all of them I run the Morriss oil and am more than happy with it. I rely on a show of oil in the separator as an indication that the engine is getting lubricated and the fact that it takes at least 30 minutes to use all the oil as an indication that it is not over oiling. One of the lubricators is a fixed jet one, the others are adjustable. It would take a lot of persuading before I would change to any other oil now. Cheers, Ian.

Hi Ian

I suspected that you may be over oiling has you had used the word "BUT" in you contact, however,  you are clearly not.. That's good

I don't understand now why you contacted me...have I missed the point?

best regards

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.