Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worlds largest cruise ship  (Read 13067 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Worlds largest cruise ship
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2008, 11:17:09 pm »

Colin, with all the various ways of expressing the size of a ship in tonnage, a more meaningful way would be the dimensions of the particular vessel, i.e., overall length, beam, and height above the waterline. This method allows us to visualise the sheer size of some of the modern ships.
Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2008, 11:04:43 am »

Very true Peter, and that is why I never tire of looking at my 1:1250 scale waterline models - the comparisons are fascinating. I'm afraid I can't bring myself to buy one of the modern cruise ships though, at £100 a pop, although I might indulge in a Queen Mary 2 as I have the three earlier Cunard Queens. Unfortuntately, of the two currently on the market one is not really up to standard and the other is very good but costs around £200!

When comparing dimensions it's also worth remembering that modern ships rarely draw more than 8 metres while older liners have much deeper draughts so the correct comparison would probably be height above keel. I suppose you could also work out a rough block coefficient based on the hull dimensions but the older ships were more fine lined which would distort things a bit.

The funny thing is that having seen the old Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth and also some of the new ships of similar nominal tonnage, there is no question at all in my mind as to which look the most majestic and impressive!

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2008, 04:28:22 pm »

Very true Peter, and that is why I never tire of looking at my 1:1250 scale waterline models - the comparisons are fascinating. I'm afraid I can't bring myself to buy one of the modern cruise ships though, at £100 a pop, although I might indulge in a Queen Mary 2 as I have the three earlier Cunard Queens. Unfortuntately, of the two currently on the market one is not really up to standard and the other is very good but costs around £200!

When comparing dimensions it's also worth remembering that modern ships rarely draw more than 8 metres while older liners have much deeper draughts so the correct comparison would probably be height above keel. I suppose you could also work out a rough block coefficient based on the hull dimensions but the older ships were more fine lined which would distort things a bit.

The funny thing is that having seen the old Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth and also some of the new ships of similar nominal tonnage, there is no question at all in my mind as to which look the most majestic and impressive!

Colin

Colin, although I have to agree with you, surely it is now "horses for courses". Perhaps with the recent imposition of "rip-off" air fares the liner could make a come-back. Nice, but I won't hold my breath. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2008, 04:49:17 pm »

Yes Bryan, it is. But I think there may future in the future be a more clear divergence between the resort ship concept where the ship is an end in itself and the ports of call merely incidental (if you can get off the thing!) and the smaller ships which hold to the more traditional concept of cruising. As Philip Dawson points out in his book the 20/20 ships have never really gone away. By that he means 20,000 tons and 20 knots. Cruising is a big market and there is room for different varieties of the product. When we called at Tallinn a few weeks back we had the whole day ashore, nearly 8 hours off the ship and felt we'd seen the place including lunch in an open air cafe and a tram ride out to a park on the environs. By contrast a 90,000 ton Costa ship came in at lunchtime and departed at the same time we did. Her passengers had maybe 4 hours ashore at most and we saw their "walking parties" being chivvied round from one "must see" sight to the next at a great rate of knots. Not my idea of a holiday!

Colin

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2008, 11:14:17 am »

Colin

Colin, although I have to agree with you, surely it is now "horses for courses". Perhaps with the recent imposition of "rip-off" air fares the liner could make a come-back. Nice, but I won't hold my breath. Bryan.

hi Bryan you say it would be nice to see the liners come back. I believe they will come back in some form. As this current fuel situation get worse as fuel runs out. A jet plane has to  get up to 200+ mph to take off. to do this they need gas guzzling jet engines. On the other hand a ship can be power by oil fuel coal or nuclear or wind. So when the fuel runs out man will have to turn back to the sea , and hence the return of the great ocean liner.
john

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2008, 05:30:13 am »

Good point Colin. The QE2 draws 32 feet, so we had to anchor off shore in 3 ports during our Sydney - Southampton cruise, Vung Tau, (Vietnam), Acapulco and Lahaina, (Maui). The photo I took from a tender as we were going ashore off Maui, shows the depth markings at the bow, and while it may not be visible in the small size photo, the water is right on the 32 foot mark.
Peter.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2008, 07:24:55 pm »

Good point Colin. The QE2 draws 32 feet, so we had to anchor off shore in 3 ports during our Sydney - Southampton cruise, Vung Tau, (Vietnam), Acapulco and Lahaina, (Maui). The photo I took from a tender as we were going ashore off Maui, shows the depth markings at the bow, and while it may not be visible in the small size photo, the water is right on the 32 foot mark.
Peter.
Looking at your pic and at the white line....what was the aft draught? Another 5' or so (maybe more). Say mean draught of about 36'...which is about right for her. Cheers. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2008, 11:28:52 pm »

Bryan, I think the draught is the same, bow to stern, (the ship's data sheet shows the draught as 32'), and I seem to recall noticing the same depth at the stern, however I am open to correction. One of the attached photos shows the white line sweeping upwards at the bow, as does the hull colour, emphasising the sheer of the deck. Other threads have discussed the sheer, or lack of it in the newer ships, but it is quite noticeable when looking along passageways on QE2.
Peter.

Pointy

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2008, 08:08:32 pm »

Don't get it.

Want to be excited by what an amazing techincal creation these cruise ships are but just can't get excited by them. You grumpy old gits are not alone- you are right it looks just like an unimaginative Spannish Hotel stuck on top of a hull with some streamlining stuck on its sides.

Imagine living on one of those Pacific Islands- you rely on the trade of these ships but how your heart must sink when you see one waddling over the horizon full of overfed demanding people swamping your island.....

How much Diesel does one of those things pump out? What are the emission figures? If the goverment are hitting me with "green tax" on my little car all the time at the petrol pump what do these monsters pay out and to who?

WoW I'm becoming a  grumpy old git!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.