Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drumbeat of Devon on the water.  (Read 6619 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Drumbeat of Devon on the water.
« on: July 04, 2008, 08:56:57 pm »

Just got back from a lovely night at Fleetwood Lake. Gobsmacked no one else was sailing, the weather was great.

Anyhow, Drumbeat finally got launched. Here are some pics.

Power is currently 6v, 4.3Ah SLA running ACTion twin motor mixer via a Distribution Board. Motors are MSW supplied MFA 2.5:1 geared units. Speed is very scale like imo and the ACTion motor mixer works a treat by slowing the inboard motor in a turn.

Drumbeat is minus some very small detailing I have still to fit but I thought it was time to get her on the water!

ianb

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Drumbeat of Devon on the water.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 02:49:31 am »

Very, very nice!

A really elegant design in my opinion.The dockside photo could easily be taken for the real thing.

Congratulations. Wish my efforts were half as good.

How are the MFA motors, are the gears quiet enough?

Ian

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 07:59:12 am »

A cracking model and a credit to you. You are right about Action's mixer (P94?). A super piece of kit.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 02:05:35 pm »

Thanks for the comments! Really appreciated.

Out of the water, the gears seem a tad noisey but on the water, they almost sound like a couple of diesels! Honest! The motors appear to be up to the job. Once they wind up, Drumbeat has a decent turn of speed, she does weigh in at around 7Kg so that's quite a bit of boat to push through the water.

Just been manufacturing the horn for the front casing as the MSW supplied one looks far too big and, from the pics devon Fisheries sent me, appears to be on tube rather than mounted on some sort of plate on the flying bridge casing. Then I can put the registration(?) decal on the roof in the right position.

Also need to finish off the mast by painting some of the aerials in white and remove the lifebelt and holder from the port front lower casing. This isnt present on the actual Drumbeat and is instead positioned on the starboard upper railing where the BOTI boat is stored. Finally, the sea crane decals need to be added on the hiab. Phew!

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 03:45:56 pm »

Sorry but I did not post those 2 photos of Lady T on this thread.....It would make no sense. I did post them on one called "Photo Gallery"

Can the moderators remove my post from this thread please??

Barry

hama

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 06:38:20 pm »

Very nice boat!! Do you have any pictures of her at full speed? How long can you run before you have to charge?

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 07:57:12 pm »

Very nice boat!! Do you have any pictures of her at full speed? How long can you run before you have to charge?

Was a bit difficult getting pictures of Drumbeat at any speed since (whisper it) the missus was neither any good at taking the pics or steering Drumbeat! The underweigh pic is probably about quarter ahead.

Not certain how long the 4.3ah battery would last but we were sailing for a good 30 - 40 minutes, nearer 40 I'd say. There still seems plenty left in the battery so Im guessing around the hour mark.

EDIT, after looking more closely at the pics from Devon Fisheries, it looks like Drumbeat's horn IS on a small ledge fixed to the flying bridge casing. Good job I didnt drill the deck top just in front of it then! The ledge is going to be difficult to glue to the casing since it has been sprayed and I dont want any glue 'mess' escaping and spoiling the finish.

Any suggestions?

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 10:00:11 pm »

Right! Looking at the size of the horn supplied by MSW and the Devon Fisheries pics, its clearly too long. So, I've cut this down and now it looks more like the horn in the pics I have. I've also made up a small ledge with 2 small supports as can just be seen in the same picture.

With a bit of trepidation, I glued this and the horn to the Flying bridge casing. A steady hand (and a fair bit of luck) resulted in no glue smudges! With the horn in place, I put the registration decal on the cabin roof. It should be noted the decal should be placed so it can be read when looking down from the flying bridge. Most modellers have it the wrong way round ie you'd have to stand in the bow looking back towards the flying bridge.

I've also added the looped grab handles to the BOTI boat and the next task is to remove the port lifebelt and holder from the port side front casing. Again, this isnt present on the actual Drumbeat.

I'll post more pics in a day or two!

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 09:32:55 pm »

Just got back from Fleetwood Lake again and guess what? There was no one else there, again! Where are all the Flyde Coast boaters!?

Anyway, here are some more pics of Drumbeat. In these pics you can see the shortened horn giving it a more scale like appearance. The grab handles have been added to the BOTI boat and the lifebelt frame has now been removed from the port front casing ala full size Drumbeat. This lifebelt has also been repositioned on the Flying Bridge deck starboard side railings as per full size. Also added is Drumbeat's registration(?) just in front of the Flying Bridge casing.

BTW, sorry if the pics are too large. Admin please re size them if need be.

Garabaldy

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 11:34:07 pm »

drumbeat looks fantastic!  Was it a kit?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 11:36:43 pm »

yep, she looks great
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 08:50:13 am »

tony23

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 09:20:55 pm »

yours looks so much better than the one in the ad  :)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 11:51:28 pm »

Sorry I've missed a couple of posts \ questions.

Yep, as FLJ says, Drumbeat is a Model SlipWay kit. She's got FLJ's electrics on board too!  O0

I sent MSW some pics of Drumbeat and they said they'll include them in their gallery (but they're not up just yet)

drumbeat

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 02:22:28 pm »

Very nice model, If mine turns out like yours I will be very happy. Hope to see in person soon as I sail at fleetwood. O0

awvs

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 12:55:41 pm »

Beautiful boat. Great job! Do you have a picture from inside?
Thanks
Wilhelm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.