Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colour Combo  (Read 2296 times)

GaryM

Colour Combo
« on: July 07, 2008, 01:25:57 am »

I'm nearly ready to paint the hull of my Marie Felling.  I intend to rename her after my Mom.
I would like to paint her 'pillar box red' up to the water line then black above to deck level then off white for the bulwarks. 

I appreciate that it will not be 'authentic' but at the same time do not want it to be 'gawdy' etc. 

Would these colours be OK and would it be OK to use a gloss paint?

regards
Gary :)

bigford

Re: Colour Combo
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 01:37:14 am »

gloss will be fine for a new ship but if you want her to look like a work boat
i think flats would be better. just my thought

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 07:57:02 am »

Gary,

It may seem odd but gloss does not scale down. In other words it looks shinnier than it should do. I find it looks good below water line but not above. Take a look at my Lady T thread and you will see what I mean...Tht was done in red and black and looks akay.

Barry

GaryM

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:07:09 am »

Thanks Bigford and Barry.
I'll leave the gloss paint out of it then.
Saw your Lady T, Barry and was well impressed - I'll take another look at her, do you state the types of paint used on her?

regards

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 07:41:41 am »

Thanks Bigford and Barry.
I'll leave the gloss paint out of it then.
Saw your Lady T, Barry and was well impressed - I'll take another look at her, do you state the types of paint used on her?

regards

Hi Gary,

On ady t I used ordinary tinned spray paint, available here in Spain. A gloss red for the bottom and matt black for the upperworks. Over here we do not get as good a selection as in the UK. I would use Humbrol sprays if I could get them, but that is just personal choice.

I simply followed the advise of Stavros as closely as I could and it came out well. There is a thread by him on this site about how to prepare for painting and very good it is too.

Barry

GaryM

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 09:52:14 pm »

Thanks Barry, I'll check it out..  I think I've read it once!  Memory!!

regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 19 queries.