Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners' kits - which to buy -please  (Read 2654 times)

Bonky

Beginners' kits - which to buy -please
« on: July 08, 2008, 12:35:53 pm »

Hi everyone! I've just joined - I normally model 16mm garden steam locos but fancy returning to boat/ship construction. I have 2 projects in my mind's eye.

First, I wish to build a sub. I have in my mind a Robbe u47 (with or without the Engels piston kits to convert into a static diver), a Seawolf (same stable) or the more expensive Engels Layfayette - which is a static diver). I have trawled the net and visited the subcommittee site and others, but the more advice I can get the better. Which of these (or others...) would suit me best?

Originally Posted by steamboatmodel
Hi Richard,

How about a K Class sub. ?
Regards,
Gerald

Hi, such as ? Do you mean like the Akula ... remember I'm new to all this and need a gentle introduction to the BlackArts. I originally wanted to model a British sub but paradoxically ended up being fascinated by the u-boats. It's their mix of technical brilliance and their sinister, almost evil, appearance - the same feeling of moral and aesthetic abhorrence I feel for alligators, that I find/found fascinating.
I then realised that unless I went for the Robbe u-47 - which is a dynamic dive model (which I didn't want) I would need an all-in-one kit - hence the cheaper end of the Engel range.

Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks
Richard

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Beginners' kits - which to buy -please
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:43:53 pm »

British boats were very accomplished technically too.

K-class boats were British boats. They were powered by steam turbines and conventional steam boiler technology. In short they were a disaster, and became known as the 'suicide club' as so many of them sank with all hands. Look up the 'battle of may island' to read an account of just one tragic tale associated with these boats.

I'll repeat my recommendation here, go for the Lafayette. It has a high quality epoxy glass hull, cnc machined tech rack, bayonet locking ring- in short it's in a different class to the other two kits you mention. The robbe boats can be extensively modified to bring them very close in quality to the Lafayette, but by the time you add up the cost, you'll probably be at the same price point as the Engel kit.

Bonky

Re: Beginners' kits - which to buy -please - K Class subs
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 08:40:52 pm »

Yes. 'K" for Kalamity' (Class) I believe!  But are there any good kits for them?

I believe you've sold me on 'Layfayette'.

Thanks,

Richard

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Beginners' kits - which to buy -please
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:44:45 pm »

No K-class kit. One or two people have scratchbuilt k-class boats, but I wouldn't recommend a boat like that for a first-timer, not least because I can't imagine these boats handle very well- small control surfaces and a very long, narrow hull make for an interesting handling boat!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.