Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Aerokits Sea Hornet  (Read 10882 times)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
Aerokits Sea Hornet
« on: July 08, 2008, 05:35:34 pm »

Toesup Boat Werks (Speedboat Division) Wa. USA

Some background:
The Aerokits Sea Hornet was designed by L.J. Rowell and first produced in the late 1950' / early 1960's by Aerokits of Norfolk, Great Britain. It was distributed by Keil Kraft (of the free flight plane models fame) of Essex, Great Britain.

Many years ago, back in the mid 1960's my Father had an operation on his back and for some occupational threapy (to keep his mind occupied, too) while he had very little mobility he built the Sea Hornet as a present to me. We had some memorable days at the local pond free running the 'Hornet' with a small watercooled diesel motor.

When i moved to the USA from Great Britain, space for the move was at a premium so the Hornet had to be sold... unfortunatly... A decision i have regretted since.

The build part:
When the plan arrived, i realised that as this plan came originally from a kit, it didnt have the bulkheads drawn, so i have had to develop these before i started to cut wood.

Over the last few days, i have started to gather the parts to put a replacement Sea Hornet together. The brushless motor and ESC has been 'donated' from one of my 1/10th cars rather than go to a diesel... I've got a suitable prop tube and prop... and I have started to cut the keel and bulkheads.

This is to become a British version of a Mahogany Runabout.

To be continued

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
Re: Aerokits Sea Hornet
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:36:47 am »

Toesup Boat Werks (Speedboat Division)

And so the construction begins...

I've spent the last few days wetting and bending the spruce chine stringers so they take on the form of the boat and make the construction easier.
All i did was trace out the rough line of the stringers and transfer the line to the building board... a few nails on the line and i had a 'form' to work with.

The bulkheads have gone in and the keel... The transom bulkhead was the only one that needed some 'easing' (i was expecting at least one) as I've had to draw them from the plan and side view.

The lower chine 1/8" x 1/4" (x2) spruce have all been added and i think the shape is begining to appear.

Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 03:48:03 pm »

It's not in the advert above but my Sea Hound must be from the same stable (or kennel). It was an open spprts boat for 1 cc that has had a number of rebuilds and is awaiting repaint again. I remembered its name but just couldn't recall the manufacterer. Built late 60s.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:19:31 pm »

It's not in the advert above but my Sea Hound must be from the same stable (or kennel). It was an open spprts boat for 1 cc that has had a number of rebuilds and is awaiting repaint again. I remembered its name but just couldn't recall the manufacterer. Built late 60s.

Thats not one i have heard of Bee... does the construction look similar?...
Do you have any pics?

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 04:32:27 am »

A 'several' section update on progress..

Pt I
The hull has been released from the board and the bottom skins added.
I've also made up the motor mounting blocks and installed them in the hull.. the motor mount has been made up and installed after some adjusting the mount to get the motor shaft and prop shaft to line up.
The upper parts of the bulkheads have been fitted as has the angled piece over the breasthook to support the deck.
The deck has been roughed out and soaked in the bath for 1/2hour and clamped down in place to dry, that should make it hold its shape and be easier to stick down when the time comes.

Oh, and i made up a stand from some scrap wood.. and 3 coats of varnish.

By the way, the Sea Hornet now has a name and shall be known as 'Bournville Plain'.

Pt II
Its the little things that take the time on these builds.
I've made up the motor cooling coil from 3/16" bore Ali tube.
The seats and floor (especially in the rear cockpit) would be a real pain to get in when the sides and deck were fitted, so I've had to make up some of them and fit the rear Cockpit floor. The front cockpit floor i can make removable (by a devious 'handle'), in case i need any ballast added in that area.
The seat 'squabs' have been cut ready for carving and covering.
I've also cut the hatches and bent them ready for when i need them.

"This piece of 1/16" ply you sold me is warped"
One of the sides has been bent and the other side is currently 'under pressure' so it takes on the shape of the hull.
The rear hull panel has been cut and the exhaust pipes made up to fit..
I've also decided where the best place for the servo will be, made up the mount and fitted that.

Pt III
The sides are on, as is the bow blocks which have been carved and sanded to shape.
With the invaluable assistance of Mrs Toes, the deck was also stuck down and shaped.

Pt IV
The hatches have been made and fitted, both for the engine compartment and the rudder / servo compartment. The engine compartment hatch still needs the air scoops / air outlets made up...
The spray rails have been added...
I have started on the seats with some balsa....

Pt V
I managed to spray inside each compartment and the undersides of the hatches.
The forward cockpit floor has had its anti slip flooring added and the 'forward / reverse' lever.
I've started on the veneer planking....

Pt VI
.. and after much gnashing of teeth and carefull sanding i end up with something like this...
1/4" wide mahogany planks and strips of black plastic as 'caulking'..

Why didnt i just draw it on the ply with a sharpie?...

TugCowboy

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:05:11 am »

She's an incredibly pretty craft!
I have always wanted something like that to build, however perhaps in a slightly larger scale.

Alex

amdaylight

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 04:27:30 pm »

Why didn't i just draw it on the ply with a sharpie?...

Because it won't look as good as nice! O0 And you enjoy self inflicted pain, why else would we build the wee little boats in the first place ::). Just remember I also fly RC aircraft and they usually come to a much worse end than boats do. >:(

Andre in the Great Pacific North Wet.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 04:02:42 am »

.. and the planking is finished... and a coat of varnish..

Its currently being rubbed back before i re coat the deck..

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 02:49:22 pm »

The Hornet hull has had its paint.. and the deck now has 5 coats of varnish, with a rub down between each coat... and is ready for its final coat..

John East

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 12:33:12 pm »

Hi this is my rebuild of a Aerokits Sea Hornet. It was a old damaged boat that I started with.
Cheers John

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 07:21:21 pm »

Your Sea Hornet looks like a worthy restoration John!...  O0

Keep us informed on progress!..

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 05:08:03 am »

After 8 coats of varnish (rubbing down between coats) I'm satisfied with the finish on the deck.
The seats have been installed, together with the dashboards... and also the coaming round the cockpits.
The air intakes / outlets have been permanently added...

The centre uprights have also been added ready for the windscreens.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 09:04:36 am »

Nice! Very, very nice!  :o

has she had any sea trails yet?
I notice you changed the motor from the first photo, not enough power?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 02:13:57 pm »

Nice! Very, very nice!  :o

has she had any sea trails yet?
I notice you changed the motor from the first photo, not enough power?

Thanks Martin..
No... the motor is still the same, its just got its water cooling coil now..

No sea trials as of yet.. but should be soon..  ;)

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 02:02:33 pm »

I too have a Sea Hornet, built from an unfinished kit which sat in the top of a wardrobe for over forty years. The old chap said that when it fell off the shelf and hit him on the head he figured it was time to let it go to someone else to finish it! I powered it with a standard 540 motor and use a 9.6v 2200mAh battery pack. I am a little disappointed with the performance, it is not bad but a little more speed would be nice. Can you please give me details of your motor and battery pack. I am not too well up on the various motors and numbers of cells so need it explained in words of not too many syllables. There is a trader locally who is advertising various Graupner 500 and 600 series motors. Would one of these be better than my 540? I do not really have room for a larger motor or a larger battery pack. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks, Ian.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 02:37:06 pm »

Verry nice build i like it i love the wooden deck,i will be building a small riva about the same scale as this one but my dream would be to build a really large one for a petrol motor.Look forward to seeing some video of her when shes running.
Mart

John East

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 07:33:40 pm »

Hi Toes The Hornet looks great.
Just adding a few more photos of my Sea Hornet build. Added a ply subdeck and planked it with veneers, also added some caulking.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 04:47:36 pm »

Can you please give me details of your motor and battery pack. I am not too well up on the various motors and numbers of cells so need it explained in words of not too many syllables.

Hi Ian
Sounds like an interesting project to finish off and get 'her' to the water!.
The motor / esc combination i have installed is a brushless setup that came from one of my cars that i had spare. If you are looking for more speed, look at going a 19 turn car motor that turns at a higher RPM. You may also need to experiment with prop / motor combination to get the best speed from your boat.
The battery packs are a pair of 4500 ah 7.2v car packs that will (just) fit under the seats in the front and rear cockpits.... although i have yet to test the battery position out on the water..  :-\

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 04:50:03 pm »

Just adding a few more photos of my Sea Hornet build. Added a ply subdeck and planked it with veneers, also added some caulking.

That has advanced John!...
She is looking very pretty with those 2 colours of veneer!.. What 'woods' are they?... What 'caulking' did you use?.
Will you be going varnish or GF resin over the deck?

John East

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 07:59:48 pm »

Hi Toes.  The veener is mahogany and I think Maple, not really sure, I bought some veener offcuts !. I will be varnishing rather than GF, in fact have started this today. I have just had the batterys deliverd, so I will be making the seats fit around them. Also started making the steering wheel, and a few other fittings, thinking about making the windscreen upright in stainless or aliuminum give it a bit of sparkle. My hornet also fitted with a brushless motor, I think it was for a helicopter, not sure, performance in the bath was very promising ! ( I had already given it a few coats of varnish). I think the motor should give about 200 Watts of power, should be plenty !.. I wonder how long the batterys will last .. I am also going to make a cover for the engine bay, I have glued some aliumium strips under the edges of the deck so I can use screws to make sure they dont fly off.

All the best

John

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 10:04:59 pm »

Seeing as today would of been my late Fathers 78th Birthday, the Sea Hornet now has its proper name... 'Bournville Plain'..

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 10:58:41 pm »

'Bournville Plain'..

My Favourite           only recently it doesn't seem to like me  :'(

Lovely boat by the way. Any on the water pics?

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 11:42:04 pm »

You have a lot more battery capacity than me but at a slightly lower voltage. I have the single 9.6v pack mounted on one side of the motor compartment, the speed controller on the other side and the receiver and servo in the rear compartment. There is room for a separate receiver battery in the rear as well but I have been using the BEC. I am having some problems with RF and will be trying to sort that next time I take her out. Not sure that I will go as far as a brushless motor, that would mean changing everything else so will probably just look for a bit better motor that can still run through the Electronize speed controller I have. I realize there will be a trade-off in run time but I do have a spare pack and can charge at the lakeside. I guess as with most of my boating it will be suck it and see! Thanks for the advice. Cheers, Ian.

amdaylight

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 01:15:50 am »

Toes

It looks great. O0 So where are you going to test run it and when. If I can I would like to see it run.

Andre :)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 05:26:23 am »

'Bournville Plain'..

Lovely boat by the way. Any on the water pics?

As soon as i can hit the apartment test tank facility (AKA 'The Pool') i will post some pics here.

I've got hold of some suitable sized crew and a few things to add as detailing.
Bournville Plain still needs its windscreens and some deck details before i hit the local lake.

Andre, I will give you a call when i know 'when'  O0
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.