Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wasa/Vasa 1628 Sergal/Mantua  (Read 12900 times)

Walter Cooper

Wasa/Vasa 1628 Sergal/Mantua
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:24:10 pm »

Hello,I am new to the Mayham forum and glad to be here.Im have been working on my ship the Swedish Warship Wasa for the past three years or so on and off.Im kitbashing the kit the best that I can by adding the upper works clinker planking,forward bulkhead doors and a major change to the anchor catheads.....not to that point as of yet.The kit is a double plank on bulkhead build in 1:60 scale 46 1/2 inches in length when finished.Bronze sculptures and cannons.I don't like the look of the shiney new bronze so I have picked up some Jax brass/bronze darkener to treat the various parts.The photos that I am posting show the ship painted with red upper works.My plans are to tone down the red brightness by adding a gray/black wash on top of the red paint. :) Cheers my new friends,Walter Cooper Norwich Connecticut

barryfoote

Re: Wasa/Vasa 1628 Sergal/Mantua
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:33:29 pm »

Walter,

Welcome to the forum. Your Wasa or Vasa is looking superb. I must admit that period ship building is my first love..

You will find that there are many great guys here who will help with any problem you have. That said, I reckon you can offer some top advise to others by the look of your ship. Don't forget to keep posting pictures of her as you go along...I look forward to seeing more.

Barry

Walter Cooper

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 10:03:22 pm »

Hello Barry,thanks for the welcome and kind words :) .I certainly hope that I can help somebody out in time. It seems like I get more accomplished on her durring the winter months ::)But I will cretainly keep the progress updated. I also have a Billing Boats Calypso that has been sitting in the box for quite sometime.Im hoping to get started on her soon.....As soon as I can clean up my plate abit.Im still trying to decide if Im going to RC her.Many delicate parts Handrails and such.Cheers Walter :)

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 07:38:25 am »

Walter,

The Calypso is a lovely model. If I were you I would definitely RC her. Have a complete change. It recharges the battery's when things don't go too well on the other..

Barry

MartinH-K

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 02:16:04 pm »

I was in Stockhholm in about 1970 (?) just after they brought her up from the bottom of the harbour. They were constantly spraying her with water while they leached the salt and crap out of her timbers. She looked a real mess back then. I went back a couple of years ago and, My God! She actually looked liked a ship again!  O0

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 02:54:57 pm »

Looks very nice so far! The hull is beautifully planked + finished.
I've built a few plastic sailing ships (and have the Airfix 1/144 Vasa kit, as yet unbuilt) but wouldn't know where to start building a planked wood model of this level of complexity :o
Are all the carvings + hull decorations included in the kit?

Walter Cooper

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 03:38:46 pm »

Hello,Barry im leaning mostly towards RCing her.I have quite the story about how I bought this kit.I origanally bought the kit on Ebay out of Canada.When the kit arrived,the box looked like it was put through a trash compactor :'( The one piece ABS hull was totally trashed. The post was insured but I needed the sellers cooperation to submit the claim.He would not help me out.I finally was able to get ahold of Billing Boats and they agreed to help me out :)All I had to do was to ship them the damaged model,and the sent me a brand new kit free of charge!Kudos to Billing Boat O0! Martin seeing the Wasa in such an early recovered state must have been quite the site :o Many Thanks Edward for the kind words ;D The kit came with all of the cast bronze sculptures ,cannons and all the of brass hardware. Actually the Airfix Wasa is much more accurate.You should build her someday,she makes one beautiful ship model O0 Cheers Walter

Walter Cooper

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 04:06:53 pm »

I have finally found some time to work on her again this past weekend.I installed the two stern benches ,and have begun the vertical bulwark timbers and belaying pin boards,and ship ladders.I may replace these ladders as they are not the proper curved shape "Another of Sergal's short commings" Scratch built ones may be in order.  I have to still remove some excess glue from the belaying boards because I used the dreaded "Gorilla glue"Not recommended for fine ship modeling.....But is very strong These Belaying pin boards are very nice from the kit.Pre drilled In the past I have had many problems drilling these splinting much stock.It has been some time since I have posted,but the build pushes on!!!I will now finish up the rest of the timbers and add the cap rails.Cheers friends Walter

Walter Cooper

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 01:28:20 am »

Im back to working on my Wasa once again I ran into a problem and setback with the bow area bulwark frames. {:-{ As I started to intall the upper caprail,they started to pop away from the bulwarks >:-o An obvious glue failure.Im throwing out the wood glue that I used and am buying a new supply.I reglued all of them with minute drops of Gorilla Glue.They are as strong as steel now %%. The second photo shows the handrail in possition.The caprail and handrail construction is different from the Sergal kit plans.Cheers Walter

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 01:40:10 am »

Glad to see you sorted out your caprail problem, and nice to see you posting again.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Walter Cooper

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 01:44:29 am »

Thanks tigertiger :-))Sure feels good to be working on her again %%Walter

barryfoote

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 08:20:55 am »

Great to see you back in action Walter. She is looking good. Keep them coming.

Barry

Walter Cooper

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 08:18:31 pm »

Hello,Thanks Barry.I have made more progress on my ship.Installed the one hundred vertical bulwark timbers.I have started to work on the waterways.This has really helped in holing the bulwark timbers in place.It really does not take much but an accidental hit from a finger or knuckle to knock them off.Looking at the ship this morning,it is time to really clean things up.Much sawdust and wood shavings about her {:-{.Cheers Walter

barryfoote

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 10:01:26 pm »

Beautiful....simply beautiful..

Walter Cooper

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 03:32:49 am »

Thanks Barry :-))I finished putting in the waterways on the main deck today.Things are going well.I will now finish up the upper caprails and finally will do the hand rails. ;)Cheers Walter

Walter Cooper

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 05:44:22 am »

Hello all,I have finally finished up the hand rail assemblies "Woohoo!!! They went together very well. These handrails are of my design and are pretty close to the way they look on the ship. I may do the bow rails,ballesters and catheads next.My loyal assistant Strudel saluted me and gave me great praise for finally getting this step finished lol.Cheers Walter

Walter Cooper

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 06:19:00 am »

Sorry forgot the photos :o

barryfoote

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 08:48:41 am »

Me thinks Srudel is just after something to eat...

Nice job..

MartinH-K

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 09:06:39 pm »

I'd be more worried about the cat... Wasa matter?

Walter Cooper

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 10:12:42 pm »

Thanks Barry,hes a brat always wanting a dog treat LOL  %%  Martin hehe "Wasa Matter" LOL!! ....The cats around the ship model are really good not bothering it at all..Strudel has grown up from a pup with the kitties,so hes the best  {-) Cheers Friends Walter

MartinH-K

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 11:29:16 pm »

My cat, Hamish has decided he wants to be ship's cat on my HMS Hood. I tried to put up a picture... I'll try again... %% It hates me!!! It won't load my piccies!

Walter Cooper

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 10:37:10 pm »

Oh man,peskey computers  >>:-(  Martin I will send you a personal message containing my email address.Send me your pic of Hamish and I will post it for you :-))I would like to see him %% This is the fore rail assembly with catheads being held up by sculptures of two Polish soldiers.Terrible burden for those fellas  The fore brass sculpture part was all bent out of shape,but I was able to staighten it out with a little tapping from a hammer.The catheads that were in the Sergal plans showed to cut for two "pullys"....not the correct term at the tips of the catheads.Wasa has four.So I widened the stock an cut in four.I was messing around with my dinosaur of a camera,and found out that it has the ability to take photos in black and white....,DUH.I think that the B/W pics look ok.Any opinions?Cheers Walter %)

MartinH-K

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 11:07:06 pm »

That is seriously amazing! %% Thanks for the offer re piccies... sent to you just now. :-)) Is this to be a static model or will you 'float her'?

Walter Cooper

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 03:32:33 am »

Hello Martin,many thanks and your quite welcome :} She is a static build so no water for this girl :-) The model of the Hood that Hamish is sitting on is going to be HUGE :o My goodness,I bet your going to have some pretty powerful moters to push her along.Posting the photo of Hamish who could just be the captain of the Mighty Hood lol :-)) Do you have a build log or a thread here on Model Boat Mayham? If so I would like to see it.Attempting to scratch build some ladders for my Wasa tonight.So far so good.The ladders on the original ship are curved.So this is proving to be very challenging to find the proper degree of the steps.We will see if I can do it or if they will be added to the fireplace %%.Cheers Friend Walter

barryfoote

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 08:42:34 am »

Hi Walter,

Looking superb as usual. Black & white photographs can be very effective, but personally with models, I prefer colour as more detail appears with low res images....Keep it up amigo. Whilst on the subject of feline distraction....this is our Smokey, helping out with one of my builds... :-))

Barry
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.