Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairey Swordsman  (Read 9680 times)

bbdave

Fairey Swordsman
« on: July 11, 2008, 12:19:53 am »

Due to not being able to make the northern boat show i stayed home at the weekend and decide to start the swordsman i had copied the plans so as to not damage the original and on saturday set about carbon papering the shapes onto the 2 and 3mm light ply.

i managed to get all the parts for 3mm on one sheet

Cutting light ply is nice and easy i find i can hold the line and the knife doesn't wander the downside is it does tend to be warped which can be worked round. sunday was spent on the dinning table cutting all the parts.

The keel is laminated from two 3mm and one 2mm which takes out any warp when weighted down on a flat board while glueing. The three seperate keel sections lined up measured and glued together.

The main formers were then glued in place as true as possible using squares ect. but mainly by eye. some are warped but as long as they are level and the keel and stringer positions are in the right places who cares what the wood in between does  ::). this frame was then stuck onto the deck pieces which were pinned onto the  board.

Stringers were attached i used spruce for this out of dads wing spar stock  >>:-(. the transom and bow sheets were glued on then the hull bottom and sides all then sanded to blend. i've glued balsa block in the bow and started to sand  the old friend P38 will come in handy for getting the desired shape. i do hate the putting loads of balsa in then sanding it away method it seems such a waste but i can't see any other method of doin it but she's taking shape now.

Here's what she should look like

Dave

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Fairey Swordsman
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:37:32 am »

bbdave
If you have a look at the toppick plan for beginners this may help you O0

aye
john e

bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

bbdave

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:42:06 am »

Why? am i doing it all wrong?

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 02:24:29 am »

Hi there

I cant see you doing anything wrong - but - if you have a look at the end of the topic - Plan for Beginners - the gentleman who drew the plans that you are working from posted a couple of photographs of the Prototype Swordsman that he built and this will give you a benchmark to work too.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

banjo

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 03:03:59 am »

:)
Those "Swordsmen" look like Huntsmen to me...

PS
I thought about it a bit more...Yes definitely Huntsmen

Proteus

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 06:46:42 am »

No they are Swordsmen,  windows and hull especially the front are slightly different see picture. but they are similar

http://www.faireyownersclub.co.uk/default.asp?content=boats&type=sword

Proteus

barryfoote

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 07:51:11 am »

bbdave,

It is amazing how a few hours work can transform some flat ply into a boat. The thread is excellent. Keep it up and keep the photos coming..

Barry

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 10:08:54 am »

This is making me dewy-eyed with nostalgia.................

Keep it up, Dave - looks very good so far. If you need the stuff about finishing it then just holler.

FLJ

bbdave

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:58:25 pm »

Thanks FLJ i only have the plan no writings so just winging it at the moment but it's very nice to build.

I'm sure they're Swordsman as the pics are from the owners club.

I've just come in from sanding so she'll be getting a coat of something so i can see all the imperfections then filled sanded as necessary so i'll bung a pic on later

Dave

bbdave

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 07:01:15 pm »

Well after sanding the shape of the bow is coming so i've put the first of many coats of varnish on i'll then give it a light spray of paint whic should make it easier to see the hull shape as the different layers lines of block camouflage it a little. but at least now the worst of the sandings done i can work inside now.

P.S. Bluebird where is the plan for beginners topic i've done a search but drawn a blank

P.P.S Just found it and read i thanks my building style is a tad more rustic i feel. i normaly have the squares ect. to hand but tend to use Mk1 eye and a good blob of luck O0
Dave

offshore1987

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 02:24:48 pm »

I have a one or two pics of one in a kinda racing form if you would like to see il upload them?

all the best

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 02:58:46 pm »

I have a one or two pics of one in a kinda racing form if you would like to see il upload them?

I would!  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

offshore1987

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 03:17:34 pm »

I sure do live the wood buildin ( only tryed to make one model thing outa wood ) but i sure do take my hat off to you, very skilful

damn you martin  {-) now iv gota do something today :angel: Il add them up abit later onto photobucket

i have a pic or two of the new gen of them as well

All the best guys

offshore1987

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 05:08:34 pm »

i might reupload them all but bigger i didnt relise it uploaded in small :(

i have some more on another mem card but duno what iv done with it   ???

if you look on here theres lots of boat pics, its the first part of roundbritain

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc127/offshore1987/round%20Britain%20Race%20pics/

all the best

bbdave

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 06:04:25 pm »

Well i've spent the last week or so sanding varnishing sanding varnishing sanding varnishing loads but she's getting there now so in with some hardwear i'm putting some water cooling in as the motor i have available is a little hot probably far to much but it'll save me buying one  ::). not having put water cooling in a boat before it's a bit of guess work where to put the pick up so i've stuck it just behind the prop.
 Next job will be to put the spray rails on then fill any holes ooo then some sanding and varnishing!

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 11:24:38 pm »

:)
Those "Swordsmen" look like Huntsmen to me...

PS
I thought about it a bit more...Yes definitely Huntsmen

I can confirm that the one in the bow shot picture and the closest one of the two in the second picture is DEFINITELY a Swordsman, as SOU TOO used to belong to my Uncle and is a Swordsman 33.
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

murphy1570

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 01:04:17 am »

Hi there

I cant see you doing anything wrong - but - if you have a look at the end of the topic - Plan for Beginners - the gentleman who drew the plans that you are working from posted a couple of photographs of the Prototype Swordsman that he built and this will give you a benchmark to work too.

aye
john e
bluebird
Hello Bluebird

I have just stumbled across this post re the swordsman build by Dave and notice that you suggested looking at the "plan for begginers", article with photos etc, can you tell me where to find this article on the site if indeed it is still available as I have just noticed that these postings I am reading are from 2008!!, dont know how I ended up stumbling accross this aricle as I was looking under "unread posts since my last visit"!! whatever I like the look of the boat and the job Dave is making of it and would like to have a go myself, if you can point me in the right direction if possible I think that even with my limited skills I could make a passable model (if viewed from a distance!!), if I could obtain the plan and any additional information that would help in the build.
Thanks all the best, John.

inertia

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 08:23:35 am »

I'm not sure if you found it but it's here:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7668.0.html
DM

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 11:25:27 am »

This site on the net is also worth a look for info on the original boats.  :-)

http://www.faireyownersclub.co.uk/

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 05:42:44 pm »

i do hate the putting loads of balsa in then sanding it away method it seems such a waste but i can't see any other method of doin it .Dave
Hi Dave,

A little too late now, but maybe for your next build to avoid 'balsablocking' the bow section;
Work as I did on the bow of my M.A.S.:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,34033.0.html
Opening post pictures 8 and 9.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

murphy1570

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 12:36:57 am »

I'm not sure if you found it but it's here:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7668.0.html
DM
Hello DM
Thanks for your reply but I found it on the masterclass part of the site posted by Bluebird and it is just what I am looking for, I will try now to get a copy of the plan and have a go myself, and thanks bluebird for an excellent article/guide.
Thanks all the best<John.

inertia

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 08:27:14 am »

murphy1570

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 12:59:30 am »

Plans here http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/search.asp?k=swordsman&x=21&y=16
DM
Hello DM
Thanks very much for pointing me in the direction of the plan it is now on order.
Thanks again all the best, John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.