Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's this?  (Read 9522 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What's this?
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2008, 11:46:25 am »

It's hard to tell from the photo, how long are those sticks?

The sticks are in the order of 20" long, however, their length in itself is not a primary give away as to their use. The markings can offer a clue because their size is specific to teir use.

John

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2008, 12:07:54 pm »

Are these sticks anything to do with setting up the valve-timing on a Steam Engine?   Or a Steam Wear's pump?

aye
john e
bluebird

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2008, 12:27:51 pm »

Are these sticks anything to do with setting up the valve-timing on a Steam Engine?   Or a Steam Wear's pump?

aye
john e
bluebird

BINGO!!   Good man, you obviously know your steam engines.
For those still not sure, valves on a multiple cylinder steam engine do not always have valve setting ports. The particular one I work on is a case inpoint. In order to tell where the valve lands are in relation to the steam chest ports you have to make "valve setting sticks" that duplicate the relation ship between the two components to allow  you to visually see where the valve stops in relationship to the steam chest ports. The valve setting sticks provide this visual relation ship.
  The sticks with the four black lands represent the steam chest, the sticks with two lands represent the valves. The two sticks on the right are for the Intermediate Pressure valve (on a triple expansion engine), while the two on the right are for the high pressure valve. Both valves are piston valves. The LP on this engine is a slide valve.

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2008, 12:32:24 pm »

In order to use the sticks, the valve covers are removed, and the valve land stick is placed on top the appropriate valve, the steam chest stick is placed on the top surface of the steam chest where the valve cover bolts on. The two sticks are placed next to each other for readings.  An able helper turns over the engine , by hand in our case, from TDC to BDC while the valve position relative to the steam chest ports is checked for correct timing.

John

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2008, 08:24:35 pm »

Hi ya there Oldiron

I had to stir the memory and move the grey matter about -  :D - because years ago I worked in a Factory which had large Scotch Boilers.  It had Wear Pumps to fill the header tanks and also it had a Stand-by Steam Pump - a twin-cylinder one for hot water circulation through the presses.  Every year the above had an annual service.   I used to go out of my way to ensure I worked with a guy / fitter who used to service them.

Harry, a mine of information, with regard to anything which was to do with steam engines - he served his time at the North East/Gateshead Railway repair shops working on the steam locos.

Harry was the guy who showed me the trick with the measuring sticks - use a similar system for setting up the valve strokes on the Wear Pump.   The last thing he was showing me was the overhaul procedure for boiler injectors.   Sadly, he took ill though before I could learn any more from him.

aye
john e
bluebird

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2008, 08:36:22 pm »

Hi ya there Oldiron

I had to stir the memory and move the grey matter about -  :D - because years ago I worked in a Factory which had large Scotch Boilers.  It had Wear Pumps to fill the header tanks and also it had a Stand-by Steam Pump - a twin-cylinder one for hot water circulation through the presses.  Every year the above had an annual service.   I used to go out of my way to ensure I worked with a guy / fitter who used to service them.

Harry, a mine of information, with regard to anything which was to do with steam engines - he served his time at the North East/Gateshead Railway repair shops working on the steam locos.

Harry was the guy who showed me the trick with the measuring sticks - use a similar system for setting up the valve strokes on the Wear Pump.   The last thing he was showing me was the overhaul procedure for boiler injectors.   Sadly, he took ill though before I could learn any more from him.

aye
john e
bluebird

You had a rare treat to be able to learn off someone like that. People who used to , how the kids say, do  "old school" maintenance are getting few and far between. i'd love to be able to work with some of them to pick a few more tid bits of information, they are skills that will eventually be lost.

John
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.