Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: plywood selection  (Read 9242 times)

Garabaldy

plywood selection
« on: August 23, 2008, 10:03:32 pm »

About to begin my next project as the wimpey seahunter is nearly finished im just gong abour sourcing some wood.  Im looking for some 6mm plywood to build the hull frames.  i have access to loads of 6mm ply from a construction site which is normally 3 layers of ply, is this suitable for using the small brass pins?  Or should i be buying 6mm ply with 5 layers?   OR should i be using 9mm ply, sureley not?

Info on the boat - its the fireboat 39, 40" long

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: plywood selection
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 10:15:20 pm »

Hi Garabaldy

I would assume that the 6mm gives a suitable weight and rigidity.

3 or 5 ply would not make a lot of difference that I can see.

But what do I know? ::)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 10:16:31 am »

I would go for the 6mm with 5 layers, as the 3 ply 6mm does tend to be a little rough, and when cutting for frames, on occasion the centre laminate has not stuck in area's, and you might find lumps coming out. :embarrassed:
Steamed up all the time

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 11:03:48 am »

I'll go with Phil, the 5 ply is superior to the 3 ply.  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Garabaldy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 01:06:43 pm »

5 ply it is.  Are my local tmber merchants likely to stock the stuff or will i have to buy it from a model shop?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 01:29:29 pm »

Make sure you get a quality brand. The stuff they sell in DiY places like Homebase or B&Q can sometimes be absolutely dreadful quality with warping and separation of laminations. A proper timber merchant should be OK.

If you want the best then have a look at this site, especially their marine plywoods.

http://www.robbins.co.uk/index.htm

Colin

Garabaldy

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 02:07:04 pm »

thanks colin, those guys look like just the ticket!  How are they with ordering smaller quantities and posting them up here to sunny aberdeen?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 02:36:46 pm »

I used to see them at Boat Shows. I think they are happy to deal with orders of any value and boaties love doing fiddly bits and pieces as well as major products. It won't hurt to make an enquiry.

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 03:07:11 pm »

Hi there, your friendly local timber merchant should be able to sort this out for you ex stock.

An exterior ply well waterproofed would do without the added expense of marine ply, after all you are not going to leave it moored constantly on the water. O0

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 03:17:52 pm »

aye there Garabaldy

I presume the plywood that you are trying to source is for your next build the Fireboat 39?

6mm thickness plywood would be ample for the frames, as this Model is 40 inch length x approximately 9 ¼ inch beam and I should imagine it may have about 5-6 frames in it ? Possibly more.

I would go along with what the 'Committee' has said;  {-)  with regards using DIY style plywood.  The problem here though is, that the inner material is often very soft - and it has a lot of voids/gaps/large spaces in it.   You may find you would have difficulty using brass pins into this centre core - they tend to pull out easily.

I myself normally use a firm called   https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/

Mantua Models sell a birch faced ply which is very high quality; but, I am sad to say - it is very expensive as well  -  last time I bought some I paid £9 – plus postage and packing for a piece ⅛ inch thick x 1’ wide x 3’ long.   As I say, it is expensive, but, well worth it for the quality of the material.

Aye
John e
Bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 03:23:37 pm »

Thank god you didn't buy a full sheet it would have cost you £ 96.00 + p&p.  ::)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 04:01:59 pm »

Hi there Dicky

The right material for the job saves a lot of heartache - it may be expensive - but, there are not many plywoods which can be cut - similar to the frames I cut for the Whaleback.   Some of the Frames are one quarter of an inch in thickness - and this I was able to do with this plywood without the veneers splitting/peeling off.   

I was able to cut these frames and some of the very complicated shapes which enabled me to produce a hull when finished - that was just under 2lb in weight.

aye
john e
bluebird

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 04:32:10 pm »

Sorry John thought I'd sneak that in while you were on one of your tea breaks. :embarrassed:

Garabaldy

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 09:37:57 pm »

Bluebird, yeah it is for the fireboat 39.  I will purchase the higher quality plywood as you recommend.  The plans actually show there being 13 frames, whether this amount of frames is required i am unsure?  As this is going to be the first time i scratch build a hull.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 09:55:58 pm »

Bluebird, I have to say the price you paid seems like good value to me (guess who paid quite a bit more for his bit about the same size)Think I'll use your chaps next time O0
Steamed up all the time

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 10:10:59 pm »

https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/Wood/Birch_Plywood/

hi there - hope the above link works - its the direct link to the birchwood plywood that I used.

Hi there Garabaldi - if the plans say 13 frames/ribs - personally if it was me I would stick to what they tell you to put in.   With it being your first scratch build - try and eliminate and avoid introducing problems into the build - by decreasing the amount of frames - you may just end up with a 'mis-shaped hull'.

aye
john e
bluebird

Martin13

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 10:52:51 pm »

Garabaldy,

For my Brave Borderer build, 72 inches long, I have only used "AAA Grade Marine Plywood". It's plentiful here in Oz and I paid an average price of 30 Pounds Sterling for a sheets 8' x 4' (7 sheets in total). The quality of the timber is exceptional as Bluebird can verify with a sample I sent him of the ply that I used for planking my hull 0.6mm thick.

If your plan states 13 frames - take my advice and use 13 frames - anything less and you could end up with no end of bother as I found out with my first hull

Martin doon under

Garabaldy

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 12:53:21 am »

cheers guys, you confirmed my thoughts on the frames.  There is a wealth of knowlage in here.  I would be lost without this forum.

Going to order the wood this week ;D

just need to finish the wimpey seahorse now......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.