Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: spoke shave - double or single edge on the blade?  (Read 3018 times)

RipSlider

spoke shave - double or single edge on the blade?
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:51:21 pm »

Hello all.

Very quick question.

I needed a spoke shave and unearthed on in an old tool box of my dads today. However, it just slips straight over the wood.

The edge is very sharp, but for some reason the old man has ground it to a double sided edge.

Is this right? Or should it be single sided like a chisel?

Thanks

Steve

Martin13

Re: spoke shave - double or single edge on the blade?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 12:02:51 am »

Steve,

As far as I know, it's supposed to be a single edge. I purchased an 8" and a small 4" spoke shave but have similar problems - for some reason the blade skips over the timber - must be doing something wrong. I have also been told the on a new item, the blade needs to be honed first - why, I dunno :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Martin doon under

kenthompson

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 12:44:17 am »

Hi Steve and Martin.
 It may sound silly, but are using it in the right direction?
 you should plane from the short grain towards the long grain??
 if you have a rounded end  piece of wood, then you will have to use it from the short grain to the long grain,
 then go from the short grain to the long grain again, on the other side???
so its halve way , then halve way again from the other end???
 does that make sense???

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:57:23 am »

Honing the blade gives a keener edge, there is some discussion on chisel sharpening here:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11513.0

The basics of sharpening appear to be the same for chisels and plane blades.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 11:41:06 pm »

the other question is, have you got the blade in the right way........might sound silly but the blade should be bevelled one way, like that of a chisel, and the bevel should be facing the bottom side of the spokeshave, not on the upper side inside the "thoat" of the tool.?
if its fitted in the other way round, you will just skip over the timber as is happening.

Martin13

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 11:51:13 pm »

the other question is, have you got the blade in the right way........might sound silly but the blade should be bevelled one way, like that of a chisel, and the bevel should be facing the bottom side of the spokeshave, not on the upper side inside the "thoat" of the tool.?
if its fitted in the other way round, you will just skip over the timber as is happening.

AHA.  When I purchased the 8" spokeshave, the bevel was facing upward - away from throat. The small 4" did not have blades fitted (blades in box). Thanks for putting me on the right track nhp651.

Martin doon under

nhp651

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 10:48:27 pm »

no probs, martin.
it fits exactly the same way as a normal smoothing/jack and truing plane, only that they are large enough to take a capping iron.
the spoke shave isn't so  has the backing iron with the scew to hold it to do the same job as the capping iron.
Also, I don'tknow which type you have, whether it's the flat soled or the rounded soled shave, but what the old wheel rights used to do was use the flat soled shave with a perfectly straight sharpened blade,for shaving good and straight cuts in the spokes, but the curved soled shave blade was honed with a very slightly eliptical curve to the cutting edge.
This is the one I use mostly for shaping and carving as it goes around curves better than the flat one.hope this isn't too intense, but it helps to know your tools, ( so to speak)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.