Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi! Its my first!  (Read 3204 times)

Michael Pardy

Hi! Its my first!
« on: July 13, 2008, 09:57:42 pm »

Hi there. I've just joined this forum. I am already a registered user of RcGroups.
Im currently building a hull (my first build) and its going well. I've built the hull, all of the electronics and hardware is in, apart from a flanking rudder which is coming through the post from America  :P  The hull has been tested in the bath and the garden pond and floats etc etc.
At the moment im working on the wheelhouse, however it has come to a slight hault  :embarrassed: Im stuck. The wheelhouse walls are built, the windows are cut out and the walls have been stuck together to form a box, however the roof's are still loose as im confused on what to do. Heres a picture of the hull and wheelhouse at present.........

What Im wanting to try and finish first is the window frames, once they're done i can concentrate on another part of the wheelhouse build.
What methods are good and best for building windowframes. The edges of the windows (the hole) is a little 'unpretty' after cutting across the grain so painting it is not a option Im willing to take. Also I would like a method which makes it look scale.
This is what the boat is based on. I would like the windows to look similar to the real thing.

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to comment in any way. Helpful comments are even more appreciated  :)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Hi! Its my first!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:10:41 pm »

Michael.
There are 3 ways for your window frames.
1, make seperate frames and stick to superstructure.
2. Use Evergreen plastic strip, glue top and bottom to ensure a straight line, then fit the uprights, then trim off excess.
3, use car trim tape which is self adhesive as for plastic strip.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Michael Pardy

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:24:07 pm »

I was thinking more of the first idea. Then i can ensure all of the windows are the same size  ::)
What sort of materials could i use to make the window frames. I've had a look at the Plastic shapes with come in long lengths. But would like to back this idea up incase it is not possible  :)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 10:42:36 pm »

With thin frames like in the pic it is far easier to use option 2.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Michael Pardy

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 10:53:47 pm »

Aha! Thats the stuff. The plastic strips made in different shapes. I was looking more towards the T or H shape as it will hide the scruffed up edges.
http://www.cheshiremodels.co.uk/acatalog/Evergreen.html

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 10:58:16 pm »

oh for the glazing, use the plastic packaging that your esc came in, that silly horrid blister pack sh*te.  to fix it in place cut to size, rough the bottom half (below window level) and use woodglue. 

superglue fogs it
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Michael Pardy

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:20:25 am »

Oh right. Thanks for the tip, its good that you mentioned sticking it with wood glue cos i would've used superglue  :P

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 10:36:05 am »

The fumes from the superglue will fog the perspex.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 12:34:54 pm »

Use "R/C Modellers Glue" from you local model shop that does aircraft.  This is used for fixing acetate and other clear plastic cockpit canopies to most surfaces. Looks like white wood glue but dries clear and is slighty rubbery and flexible.  Excess can be cleaned off glazing while wet with damp cloth, is clear and waterproof when dry. Old CD cases have nice rigid plastic for windows and some have patterned black part which make nice steps or walkways etc.
..well can you land on this?

nhp651

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 04:24:43 pm »

i found a gem for fixing sheet window plastic into models a few weeks ago.
went into a card craft shop and found a type of double side sticky tape in different widths from 1.5/3.0 4.5 and 6mm that is waterproof, clear and sso strong that i have even stuck wire gauze onto the inside of my superstructure.
it is fantastic for fixing windows, doors and such and is microns thick. believe me i even stick some fittings on with it these days, and they don't come off with water.
it comes with a red backing and totally does away with any glue that will haze up the plastic.
All of the window frames and clear plastic were glued into this boat using the clear double sided sticky tape mentioned, the door and some fittings too..

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 04:40:35 pm »

Sounds like a winner. Have you got a brand name for it or name of the shop where you bought it?  Beautiful pilot-boat BTW O0

nhp651

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 05:13:09 pm »

cheers, arrow.
It's called "Therm O Web" Supertape and is made in the USA by the company Therm O Web, 770 Glenn Ave, Wheeling, IL60090, and they have a web site  www.thermoweb.com     

I bought mine from a little craft shop called Windmill Craft Centre, in Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire and their phone no. is 01253 865866

I have to say, it is super strong and sticky and you have to get the positioning spot on first time cos you just can't get it off once on.
neil.

Michael Pardy

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 06:59:47 pm »

Cool. I will have to look out for that double sided tap in the art shop not far from my house.
Thats a really nice boat you've got there. Was it kit? What is it made from?

Michael

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 08:23:47 pm »

Thanks Neil, I reckon that number will be ringing all morning !!!!

nhp651

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 08:34:21 pm »

sod me, think I've shot myself in the foot here. will have to get down to the shop tomorrow and buy some in before you guys all buy it and clear them out.
The pilot boat was scratch built, and used a grp hull and superstructure, to plans sent to me from a company in Cobh, Ireland.
cheers,neil.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 10:44:17 pm »

If you`ve still got the moulds I reckon you could sell a few copies. ;)

nhp651

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 11:37:19 pm »

no, sorry. they've gonew by the way now.cheers,neil. :'(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.