Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hunting for switches  (Read 2967 times)

Garabaldy

hunting for switches
« on: July 19, 2008, 01:56:27 am »

im after some switches, where does everyone here get them from?  does anyone use RS components or Farnell?

one thing im not sure about is the rating which the switches need to be.  The switches are to go in between my action p92 board and the batteries.  since the fuse on the p92 is 25A does this mean the switch needs to be rated to at least 25A?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: hunting for switches
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 03:19:46 am »

Have you asked ACTion?

They seem to be a very helpful bunch.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 08:02:34 am »

Just wait for FLJ to wake up and respond....No problem..

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 11:33:52 am »

For these I usually use Car/Lorry switches, in fact I use a lot of cabling etc that is for Motor Transport use.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 12:51:29 pm »

There is a huge difference between switching a load on, switching it off, and just carrying the load.  Being able to carry the load is the important one here, switching on, the load should not be present, so rate the switch for carrying the current.
Having said that, these days, the ESC is the switch as the transistors go fully disconnected, or near enough - the small switch provided just controls the BEC supply that works the control for these transistors.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 02:06:30 pm »

Malcolm, as I am sure FLJ will confirm, (when he wakes up), on ACtion units like the P94, there is no wee BEC switch and the On/Off switch carries the whole load current.   On mine at the moment I am using a 12 Amp rated switch.   Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 03:54:09 pm »

(Yawn............f*rt.........stretch...........scratch..........)
"What's up, Doc?"
"Geezer wants a switch"
"What current is he pulling?"
"Search me, guv"
"No point in getting all fused about a 25A switch if he's only running a little motor, a few lights and a radar scanner. Tell him to check the current with everything on; fuse the circuit at that and then buy a switch rated just above it. Farnells do a 25A toggle switch but it's a few quid and there's a minumum order value".
"What about that guy next door who sells caravan accessories? He's got a 100A keyswitch in his catalogue..."
"I'll go ask him ........................when I've had breakfast".
 ;)

OMK

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 04:16:22 pm »

What, you mean a keyswitch, as in bog-standard keyswitch?.. rated @ 100A, to boot??
Nah, that can't be right... can it?? I mean, 100A???

Hope you've had your b'fast by now, 'cos I'm itching to know more.....

(PSssst... watch for PM, re: P59 chip).

Garabaldy

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 04:40:35 pm »

i reckon il be pulling around 15a in total.  Ive seen a few switches which only have an AC rating too, would these still be ok on a DC et up?

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

What, you mean a keyswitch, as in bog-standard keyswitch?.. rated @ 100A, to boot??
Nah, that can't be right... can it?? I mean, 100A???

Hope you've had your b'fast by now, 'cos I'm itching to know more.....

(PSssst... watch for PM, re: P59 chip).

Check out B281 at the bottom of the 12v Connectors page, dude. My beadies don't deceive me, but I shall dig Patrick out of his pit and put the question to him anyway.
http://www.crusaderproducts.co.uk/

Gary
A 16A switch should do the trick, but I never bother with one meself. I leave the main fuse out of the board until just before I chuck the thing into the oggin. Our ESCs all have failsafe anyway, so if there hain't no siggynal to the speedy fingy then the motor he no go round.

Into my second glass of breakfast already............ :angel:

FLJ

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 08:36:43 pm »

As the use intended is main power, you will not be switching the actual "on" load, so just having the rating in the right ball park area is enough.  The most damage happens when switching off, as there is (has just been) a current flowing and for a short time a very small air gap, conditions that can cause an arc to be struck, especially when an inductive load is involved.
Places like RS and Farnell give specifications which include the number of operating cycles in its lifetime.  This is usually in the order of a few million operations, and not likely to be a worry.
The items from the car spare shoppe will likely be fine, or do it like Dave and use the fuse as a switch.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.