Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JJC Sound Module  (Read 4349 times)

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
JJC Sound Module
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:56:14 am »

Hi all,

Has anyone out there installed an amplifier in there boat with a JJC sound module?  If so any ideas on which type/model are best to install?

Many thanks

Russ

Reade Models

Re: JJC Sound Module
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:11:36 am »

JJC sound units are no longer available. (Plenty of posts on the Forum regarding this).

The master units came with an integral 15 watt amplifier and were best used with an 8ohm speaker.  They were mostly chipped with engine sounds.  Separate amplifier modules with no on-board sound were available.  These would drive slave units and were used when a modeller wanted horns, whistles etc. but no engine sound.

Slave units had up to three sounds as standard, horns, whistles etc. but no on-board amplifier and were connected to the master module using a short interface cable (stereo jack plugs).

It may well be that the unit you have may be a master unit and a separate amplifier isn't needed?  There should be a code number on the chip - post details and I'll identify it for you.

Regards, Malc

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 07:18:49 am »

Thanks Malc,

Yes the unit is the master diesel sound, i was just trying to see if i could get a bit more volume out of it ?

Russ

Reade Models

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 07:31:11 am »

Hi Russ

Personally, I wouldn't attempt what you are suggesting, the JJC units aren't bullet proof and are easily wrecked. Anthony Kirk at RC Model Workshop (pakirk on this Forum) has done some work in this area though.  You might PM him and see if he can help?

Daft question:  Have you tried turning up the volume? (two potentiometers on the module, one alters pitch, the other volume).

Regards, Malc

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 07:51:20 am »

Yeh i turned the volume up, the problem is that its fitted in the Solent lifeboat and when the superstructure goes on it muffles the volume and i dont want to make any apertures in it, so as soon as the boat is  about 3 meters away you cant hear anything.

Like you say though its probably best left alone as i have heard a lot of stories about them going belly up.

I intend to buy a new sound module as soon as soon as a decent one comes on the market.

Cheers

Russ

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 11:41:33 am »

The problem is not the output from the amp, it is as stated - the speaker is inside a sealed box.  One side of the speaker needs a generously sized path to the outside air to let the sound out.  Lack of aperture = lack of sound.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Reade Models

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 05:16:44 pm »

Thanks Malcolm - saved me a reply....

It has to be said that of all the problems with JJC sound units, of which we sold many, a lack of volume was NEVER the issue.

Russ, If you PM me with your E-mail address, I'll send you a PDF of a JJC fact sheet with installation tips to help you get the best out of your sound module.

Regards, Malc

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 07:45:24 pm »

Hi Russ,
I had the same prob with my jjc sound unit ,lift the lid off the hull and you could hear it down the road put the lid back on and te feet away ,nothing.
I solved the prob by fitting grills over the windows and air vents ,basically i cut holes in the super structure and covered them with mesh, loads better .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 08:14:53 pm »

Thanks for all the info lads, the volume is very good on the speaker as there is no glazing on the portholes, just wanted that bit more so to speak, i cant cut any holes or that will deviate from the design, my only other choice is take the glazing out of the windows,that will also deviate from the design. >:(

Like you say Portside when the lid is off you can hear it across the lake!

Russ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.