Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Got a smoke mate  (Read 6916 times)

lenny

Got a smoke mate
« on: July 17, 2008, 05:43:31 am »

This Question has probably been asked heaps before but does anyone know how to build a smoke generater.
I do recall reading of one ages ago but carn't find the article.
Thanks Lenny

barryfoote

Re: Got a smoke mate
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:02:50 am »

I think this is what you are after. Not mine but I asked the same question. I have not built it yet but I know some chaps have done with great success.

Barry

lenny

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:59:04 am »

Hey Barry.
This is fantastic O0     
Just what I needed to sus out. Thank you very much.
I dont suppose one could use something like olive oil or sorts if you have difficulty finding fog machine fluid ?
I will build one as soon as I can and send you a photo Barry, Thank you again
Lenny 

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 10:20:44 am »

A pleasure Lenny but it is not my idea. I got it off a very nice chap on the forum. As I said, others have used it and reports suggest it works very well..

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 06:13:20 pm »

is it really worth the hassle of building your own it seems a lot of hassle to me when there are perfectly good examples being sold by reputable companies lie Action
What i am getting at is this it will cost a lot more to source the bits than it would to buy one!!!!!!!!!!!

Stavros

offshore1987

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 07:05:22 pm »

I was sat here the other day thinkin, why cant we use the water ones from the little water features that garden centers sell? ( like the mini ones )  :D

They do the same job as the jjc ones... might be worth stripin one to have alittle look

All the best

Proteus

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 07:57:58 pm »

is it really worth the hassle of building your own it seems a lot of hassle to me when there are perfectly good examples being sold by reputable companies lie Action
What i am getting at is this it will cost a lot more to source the bits than it would to buy one!!!!!!!!!!!

Stavros

Why  bother building the boat ?  there are some good ready made ones.

I think it may be because you can.

Proteus

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 11:41:20 pm »

I've just built something similar (6 volt) to go in my Nile gun-boat. Currrently under trial, I'm burning 3-in-1 oil, which is probably carcinogenic - especially with a splash of used Austin 7 sump oil to thicken up the smoke!

Does anyone know what makes up disco fog fluid? I'd rather mix my own than buy it.

Rick

Reade Models

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 11:58:57 pm »

You can buy disco fog fluid from Maplin

Malc

OMK

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 01:41:35 am »

Stavros

Yeah, but Stavvy baby, if you BUY one is when you miss all the fun of making your own.
I'll bet the lawyers down at ACTion will have my guts for garters for saying this, but I'll also bet that Maplin's telephone lines have been red-hot since Malc Read's neat little snippet.

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 04:29:33 am »

I was sat here the other day thinkin, why cant we use the water ones from the little water features that garden centers sell? ( like the mini ones )  :D

They do the same job as the jjc ones... might be worth stripin one to have alittle look

All the best

Not an issue really.

You just have to build yourself a circuit board with a coil that will Invert your model ship power to
24vac-54vac. Once that's done it's just a matter of building a water box and fan.

8)

Reade Models

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 07:11:22 am »

I've got visions of a viking funerary longboat blazing merrily as it sails into the sunset taking its former master to Valhalla... {-) {-)

Malc

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 07:12:34 am »

I'll bet the lawyers down at ACTion will have my guts for garters for saying this, but I'll also bet that Maplin's telephone lines have been red-hot since Malc Read's neat little snippet.

Lawyers?? Eat my shorts! A good sneer works for me.
I'm still trying to get my delicate little gob round "disco fog fluid" - not easy to say after a couple of wine gums and a glass of tepid water.
As for Maplins, there are about twelve so-called assistants in the big Nottingham store, and I reckon the first thing they're taught is how to ignore the phone (followed after the fag break by "How to ignore customers").
FLJ

Reade Models

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 07:16:07 am »

You have to rise to the challenge.. {-) {-)

Malc

barryfoote

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 07:45:15 am »

This Question has probably been asked heaps before but does anyone know how to build a smoke generater.
I do recall reading of one ages ago but carn't find the article.
Thanks Lenny

Lenny,
Now you understand why it is called "Mayhem"....Ask a simple question and a wonderful debate starts.....Great fun..

Reade Models

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 08:21:54 am »

On a more serious note, and looking back at Umi's post,

You just have to build yourself a circuit board with a coil that will Invert your model ship power to
24vac-54vac.

The ubiquitous JJC smoke unit (actually water vapour) only came into being because Jim Casey managed to source a nebuliser from somewhere a long way east of Great Yarmouth than ran on 12V DC.

The use of an inverter to convert AC to DC is electrically very inefficient.  The commercial inverters that you plug into the cigarette lighter in your car that convert 12V DC to 230V AC (110V AC across the pond) rely on the fact that a car battery holds a relatively large charge.  Nonetheless, these inverters use a lot of that charge very quickly.

Heaters in smoke generators that vapourise (apologies to Umi for the English spelling) fluids are resistive loads connected across the battery in the model and again, dissipate a lot of power (as heat).  The struggle to design an efficient smoke generator goes on...

Malc

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 05:36:51 pm »

I did some analysis on a JJC smoker that had become "sick".
Turned out to be a burned out fan, which probably incurred some water damage.

The output voltage read by my multimeter was 1-54 volts AC to the "mist" generator, and
5 volts DC to the fan. I believe the coil on the circuit board was doing the inverting.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 07:47:45 pm »

HI Umi

This is exactly what happened to mine. The fan stopped turning so I bought a new one at a cost of 12 Pounds !!
Also the thing is very sensitive to starting up. Seems the sensor would work if you touched it with your finger ??  so I cut back the tape around it, to make a better water connection.

With regards the Maplin versions, they are absolutley superb when dunked in the pool. Water vapour everywhere. Unfortunately, as it has been said, they do run on 28 volts A-C .

The A-C is indeed manufactured on JJC's board, but if a way of making them was cheap enough then I have two Maplin misters ready for production.  8)

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

lenny

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 01:36:15 pm »

Lenny,
Now you understand why it is called "Mayhem"....Ask a simple question and a wonderful debate starts.....Great fun..
[/quote]

Hey Footski
Your right Barry.
Nothing like opening a can of worms.
Lenny.

barryfoote

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 03:05:11 pm »

It usually does 8) 8)

OMK

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 03:29:09 pm »

"Nothing like opening a can of worms."

Nah, not a can of worms - merely lots of good ideas being bandied around, is all. For instance, Malc Reade set my wheels in motion as soon as he mentioned that Maplin sell the disco fog fluid.  FLJ was also bang-on because trying to explain disco fog fluid to some faceless, spotty oik on the end of the Maplin hot-line is a no-brainer from the start. Try it for yourselves... The next time you find yourself over Bournemouth way, pop into the local Maplin store and ask for a ORP12 light-dependant resistor. And promise not to laugh when you see what they bring you.

I took the liberty of taking Footski's sketch down to our local chemist... along with a mention of nebulisers, etc. The chap behind the counter takes one look at it and sez, "Sure, leave it with me."
In the meantime, while he's working on the oil/chemistry side of things, I'm working on the ac/dc converter.... preferably one that doesn't sap all the juice from a gel-cell in three minutes flat.

Thanks for the neat tip, amigo Footski. Watch this space...........

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 03:35:18 pm »

Watch this space...........

And for a small mushroom cloud where your chemist's used to be.... ;)

OMK

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 03:38:01 pm »

Heheheheheheheheheheheheheeeeeeeee!!

barryfoote

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 04:17:28 pm »

Watch this space...........

And for a small mushroom cloud where your chemist's used to be.... ;)

Now I am getting all nervous........NOT MY ORIGINAL IDEA.......

I am sure ( I think ) all wll be well...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 04:37:11 pm »

I am sure ( I think ) all wll be well...

Well, it would have to be pretty spectacular to have an impact where you are. Still....... ???
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.