Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Footski's Springer Tanker  (Read 23685 times)

barryfoote

Re: Footski's Springer Tanker
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 09:20:53 am »

Some superstructure detail added...

barryfoote

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 09:22:22 am »

Now is it my eyes or do those windows look wobbly????They are dead straight    honest.....Must be reducing the image size that has distorted the image somewhat!!!

mogogear

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 05:15:25 am »

Now is it my eyes or do those windows look wobbly????They are dead straight    honest.....Must be reducing the image size that has distorted the image somewhat!!!

I like the NO Fumar warning!! {-) {-) {-) {-) makes it worth it to look close at the things that get posted!! Nice detail

barryfoote

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 07:48:09 am »

Cheers Mo,

I have just had an email from Junior who is on Tessa at the moment to say I have one window too many.......Typical.

Barry

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 09:07:40 am »

B****y rivet counters >>:-(
..well can you land on this?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 10:22:19 am »

That's gonna look great on the water Footski!
Are you going to make a matcing barge to compliment it when not playing Springer football?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barryfoote

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2008, 01:08:25 pm »

Never thought of a barge martin and as for football well you need more than one. may have to build several so we can play football on the local swimming pools.....Could form a league with home and away..... ;D ;DOh no my imagination just ran away :-X :-X

barryfoote

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2008, 03:28:06 pm »

Right,

Got the 1st hull painting done, after removing the prop shaft and securing the rudder post in place permanently. Guess what.....I couldnt get the prop shaft back in. No room from inside the boat so after much swearing and cursing I removed the rudder post, put the shaf in and replaced the rudder, without too much damage to the paintwork.

Next for the ballast test. Most of the weight is in the battery on the starboard side, so I balanced it up with anything I could find....Result....I need about a kilo of lead to ballast it. That said, DOES SHE FLOAT ON THE RIGHT PLANE??, or is she bow light?.. ADVICE WELCOME please...

She is sinking....shouts Mrs Footski, whilst I am typing this out, so I rush into the bathroom and sure enough water is flowing in at an alarming rate......Damn, Bl$&"%y damn.....Now I will have to dry her out and cure the leak....At least I know where she is leaking from....

.....Who said this was fun??? >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2008, 05:23:10 pm »

She is sinking....shouts Mrs Footski, whilst I am typing this out, so I rush into the bathroom and sure enough water is flowing in at an alarming rate......Damn, Bl$&"%y damn.....Now I will have to dry her out and cure the leak....At least I know where she is leaking from....

Told you that it needed to be called the 'Torey Canyon' or 'Exxon Valdez'...  {-)

Instead of the extra ballast, add another battery!...  :P Its also sitting WAY high in the water.. does it sit lower with the superstructure added?

barryfoote

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2008, 06:16:01 pm »

Told you that it needed to be called the 'Torey Canyon' or 'Exxon Valdez'... 

Very good........I will cure the leak though.....I hope. I think another battery and some lead shot may be the answere as it is likely to take a couple of kilos to get her much lower. The superstructure is fairly light so won't make much difference.  Thanks for the advise.

Barry

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2008, 06:20:28 pm »

Footski, did you put the rudder-post close to the stern on purpose ?  Seems to me that your rudder will stick out a bit beyond the transom. Where was the leak by the way ? Invest in another battery instead of ballast. O0

barryfoote

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2008, 08:42:53 pm »

arrow5.

Yes I did put the post close to the stern........My first Springer and a tough learning curve. Still it is to be used on its own in a lake by my young grandson, so should be okay. The leak is on the joint amidships between the bottom and sides of the hull. It needs filling and repainting I think..I must admit, I am going to call at the shop and enquire about an identiacl battery to even it up.  should then require minimal ballast to bring her down to the right level......or so I hope.

Barry

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2008, 09:15:41 pm »

Might by wise to run a few small nails or screws round the leaking area after you`ve filled the gap, use slow curing epoxy,  allow it to seep in and clamp/weight area when part cured.  I`d think about a couple of full depth bulkheads with foam blocks where you can. Keep all electronics off the bilges, stick them on a shelf or velcro them half-way up the sidewalls. The wet stuff WILL get in....dont ask.  Diver-arrow :(

barryfoote

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 02:46:42 pm »

I have now fixed the leak, I hope, installed another battery identical to the first one and raised the important electronics from the bilges. I hope to try her on the water shortly.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2008, 05:01:09 pm »

Looking good. If you moved the servo to the transom you would have a nice big area to put some polystyrene foam blocks in, say from the dark coloured strip on bottom to level with top of hull sides. Just the pessimist in me talking, sink happens :embarrassed:

barryfoote

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 05:27:19 pm »

arrow5,

A good idea I think. Just got back from its first water test. Seems to be ballasted about right and manouvres well. Under throttle I can see that water will go over the top, but the leak is no more....

The second video shows her performing her first rescue of the poor old watering can that had fallen into the pool... :D

The video is very poor as it was shot on my phone, while trying to operate the radio at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVuoNtZHELs

Barry

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 05:56:39 pm »

Well with a test-tank like that I`d be happy to do the recovery of a wet Springer.  Re foam see if you can squeeze some into the bow cavities , if you know what I mean

amdaylight

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 05:58:03 pm »

Fallen in or did you throw it in . . . .  ;) O0

Andre  {-)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 08:06:10 pm »

Hi Barrie

She looks to her marks, and that's before you put the cabin on. Could be that you don't need the second battery.  ;)

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

barryfoote

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2008, 08:10:13 pm »

Hi Barrie

She looks to her marks, and that's before you put the cabin on. Could be that you don't need the second battery.  ;)

ken

Now don't say that Ken........I could cry now.... :'( :'( :'(

No, the superstructure thingy is light so it won't make much difference.......I hope..... :-\ :-\ :-\

Proteus

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2008, 09:19:38 pm »

Right,

as its a tanker, was it washing its tanks out ? ::)  :D

Proteus

barryfoote

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2008, 06:39:40 pm »

Well she now has clean tanks and most of the superstructure done....Tomorrow she is going for a swim with Lady T, so should then be able to start the finishing touches like, spraying the upper works and deck, adding the crane lifeboat...oh, and the crew....

barryfoote

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2008, 04:21:57 pm »

Second water test done. She appears to run well, slight list to port, but moving reciever bateries sorted that out. Still got plenty to do but am very pleased so far. Shot a little video of the run..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdw9Nl-0S1g

Barry

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2008, 07:22:34 pm »

Looking great, Barry. Well done.   O0 O0

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2008, 07:29:05 pm »

Nice one Barry, actually floats right side up.  ;)

When are we going to see your boats in something other than your bath. :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.