Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suitable glue to joining zinc mesh to wood?  (Read 1938 times)

RipSlider

Suitable glue to joining zinc mesh to wood?
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:36:59 pm »

Hello all.

Can someone advise how to join a large piece of zinc mesh to wood?

Too large for superglue, and I'd rather not use epoxy if poss as it's very messy and the glue will fill the little holes in the mesh

Thanks

Steve

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Suitable glue to joining zinc mesh to wood?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 09:05:04 pm »

Hi Steve

If it's that large, it's weight would assist you. Perhaps some small metal staples place strategically would keep it in place. Or you could use double sided sticky tape, but the colour might show through.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 09:52:15 pm »

superglue/cyanoacrylate should work fine, the larger it is the more area it has to glue,

most ca holds around 100 to 300 kg/cm2 the flexy / toughened ca types hold far more and are better for the job if it is likely to get knocked

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:26:57 am »

superglue/cyanoacrylate should work fine, the larger it is the more area it has to glue,

most ca holds around 100 to 300 kg/cm2 the flexy / toughened ca types hold far more and are better for the job if it is likely to get knocked

Hi Starlock

What is the perfrmance/life if in contact with water?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 05:32:21 pm »

Everything degrades faster if theres water present, but it depends on how much water, cold water is not normaly a problem, but warm/hot water/steam can be a problem, not normaly though , ca bonded to wood, the wood is more prone to failiure than the CA glue, so if your painting it then there will be no problem at all, unpainted there will be no problem 99% of the time

I have just been doing some diy on the house..... 15 years ago i glued some blocks of hard balsawood to the sandstone with medium CA, screwed the CCTV cameras to the balsa block,
now i cant get them off, the sandstone is breaking about 6mm in with great force, no way to seperate the blocks of wood, i had it unpainted just glue all over the place and its been hot,cold, snowing, ice ,rain direct onto them, wood expanding and contracting and the glue is still fine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.